Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Poor paint prep or oxidation question

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 01:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poor paint prep or oxidation question

I know it is not a Toyota question, but this can happen to any vehicle so it applies .

Now that the mechanics of the car are 100% in excellent shape, I am going to start now on aesthetics (or looks) of the car. So there is a bunch of these spots on the body right now. I asked only one shop so far and the guy said it is a result of poor paint preperation. He said that whoever painted it last, applied primer but didn't let it set with enough time to dry and cure, and as a result I have these spikes. But I wonder if he is wrong and it is oxidation? I can't tell if it is oxidation or not as the previous owner had a detail (a really piss poor job I must say) done to it before she handed me the keys, so there is a layer of wax on there right now and from looking at it, I can't tell if the spikes are under the wax or the clearcoat (it almost looks like it is under clearcoat) to do a claybar removal (if indeed it is oxidation) when I will eventually do the "Zaino" treatment; just not right now as I don't have a full day's worth of time to give it attention. Has anyone of you came across something like this and can you tell me what it is? Thanks again!

For a full picture of the first, click here

For the second, click here
Old 11-13-2003, 02:06 AM

It,s hard to be sure from the picture, but it looks like clear coat damage to me. If it is through the clear coat then there is no way to fix it, minus repaint. Take your finger nail to it and see if it is rough. If it is, then i'ts the clear coat and the paint guy is full of ˟˟˟˟˟. I have the same damage on my taco but the damage is to deep into the clear. I had no luck with the clay bar. If you do find a solution I would like to know. Good Luck
Old 11-13-2003, 05:17 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks Tacomanator,

I can't feel if it rough because there is a layer of wax on there right now, so everything feels smooth. I won't know for sure until I remove the wax and Zaino the car (not scheduled until sometime in December when I find time and the weather permits to do so).
Old 11-17-2003, 11:03 AM

That looks perminent too my judging from the pictures. Whether the primer had anything to do with it I dont know(ive never heard of what he said had happened before) Get ya a Griots clay bar and go to town if that doesn't take it out your sunk