Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Need advise on removing my EGR system....84 22R

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advise on removing my EGR system....84 22R

Just got done rebuilding the motor with the help of a friend that's pretty motor savvy but he's not Toyota motor savvy so I thought I'd ask the expects on this...

My goal is to remove all the non required crap off the engine before I go to put it back in. I want to minimize the vac. hoses and all the other crap on the inner fenders for body modifications.

I've searched and read all the posts on doing away with the EGR system but no posts show exactly what ports to build block off plates for. From looking at the LCE block off plate kit for the 22R I see they only have 3 and by their shapes, I think I know where they go but would just like some clarification since I plan on making the plates myself rather than ordering them from LCE. I personally think I should just order them from LCE (easier to just pay 25 bux than it is to take the time and effort to make em IMO) but my goal on this build is to keep the build cost as minimal as possible. Right now I have 1011.00 in to this thing and it's about ready to drive around. Just some odds and ends to finish and the engine, tranny, and t-case go back in.

Here's a pic of the LCE kit and where I think the plates go....

Is this right?? Can anyone verify??

Sure appreciate any help and direction as this is my first engine rebuild. So far with yauls help, I haven't ran in to any complications. Thanks for the help in the past and for any light you can shed on this subject as well.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
far left plate is for a water block-off, IIRC. that's what i used it for, anyway(i swapped a celica engine into my 4x4, celicas had a pipe connected to the timing cover on the driver's side that's parallel to the one on the pass. side on all configurations). middle one blocks off the EGR port on the head, and far right goes on the EGR port on the intake manifold.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:55 PM
Banned

look into getting the LCE modified carb... looks liek a good bet...
Old 06-05-2005, 09:49 PM

doesn't LC's carb not have a choke or any other features like that?
Old 06-06-2005, 08:35 AM

Hey Kyle, I see that over and over and have no clue what it means...What is IIRC?
Would it be possible for you to post pics (for the idiot) of exactly where you put your block off plate for the IIRC? I'm good on the location for the other 2 plates and where they go.
I'll be making my own block off plates tongiht.

JimAbena: Buying a new carb isn't cost effective for this project. This is goina to be a bare bones wheelin' rig that's just barley street legal.
Originally Posted by SloPoke
my goal on this build is to keep the build cost as minimal as possible
It will eventually, after it's stripped down to the basics and is mechanically sound, get swap't to propane so it'll be injected without a computer. For that reason alone I'm not even considering a new carb and will work or rebuild the stock one.

Thanks Yaul!
Old 06-06-2005, 12:02 PM

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly

looking at the plate, the only logical place i could find to put it was on the timing cover on the driver's side, behind the water neck. i'd like to say that 4x4 truck already have this plate, but i'm not entirely sure. i'll see if i can get a pic up lately.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by kyle_22r
IIRC = If I Remember Correctly

looking at the plate, the only logical place i could find to put it was on the timing cover on the driver's side, behind the water neck. i'd like to say that 4x4 truck already have this plate, but i'm not entirely sure. i'll see if i can get a pic up lately.

On the pic....Thanks but don't worry about it. I know exatly what one your talking about now. Yes, my engine (22R) as well as my buddies (22RE) (we're both rebuilding em together) both have that same water tube (his is a bit different, has more connections on it, but it's there).

and thanks for the IIRC web newb lernin'

Thanks again man!
Old 06-06-2005, 06:28 PM

Well Kyle, looks like the idiot could use a pic.

OK, got 2 of the plates made but now that's it's in front of me again, I'm not sure where the 3rd plate goes. My engine has a pipe on both sides of the timing cover. The one on the drivers side, behind the waterneck is the "heater tube" (need that one). The one on the passenger side is the "water bypass tube". All it seem to do is reroutes the water with the thermostat. That right? Are you saying you blocked off the "bypass tube"? If so what's you do about the hose that connects to it and runs into the bottom backside of the intake manifold? Just plug it? I'm real reluctant to plug a waterway on a new rebuild, specially my first one. I'd really like to know for sure where that 3rd plate goes.

Speaking of plugs, since the BVSV isn't goina be utilized anymore and I still need that tube that comes off it for the heater, do I just remove it and replace with a like sized plug? Seems like it.

And for my original thinking in the picture, I was wrong. The center plate replaces the EGR valve on the head. The right plate replaces the EGR valve on the intake manifold. The left plate is the one I still question. I'll admit, it sure looks like it goes to the bypass tube but......I wanna be sure.

Thanks again.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:01 AM

Bumpity bump bump bump.

Hoping Kyle or sombody else can post a pic of where the block off plates went. And maybe some advise (pics are even better) on what all they plugged after removing the vac. sensors and lines from the EGR system.

All I got left is to finish this EGR removal stuff, adjust the valves, install the valve cover and install motor. (and of course fill with fluids & dial everything in once installed and running)

Appreciate the help!

BTW: I think I may have access to a digi cam tonight, if I end up having it, I'll take pics and post.