Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Leather advice...is there anything I can get from a local parts store?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 07:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leather advice...is there anything I can get from a local parts store?

Hey Guys, I have a vehicle with leather in it. I can tell the middle console leather appears to look a bit dry. I plan to buy the Zaino brand of the leather treatment, but in the interm is there something I can get from an Autozone, or local Kragen's/Schuck's/Checker's ? And what exactly is the proceedure, is kinda like waxing?

This is why I like cloth better, feels nicer in hot days and no maintenance except for an inital scotch guard treatment.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
leather has pores so i guess you just massage it in a lot...thats what i do to the couch
Old 03-10-2005, 06:27 PM
Contributing Member

I have used Lexol for about 10 years on anything leather. I have used it in my Benz, Porsches and BMW's. You can also use it on your shoes and furniture in your home if you so desire. It comes in an adjustable spray bottle that you spray or wipe on, let sit for a sec then buff to a shine. Dry leather really drinks it up! Good luck!
Old 03-10-2005, 07:06 PM
Contributing Member

Lexol...okay sounds good. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:47 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
You need both the cleaner and the restorer to make the leather look new/good again. My local Toyota dealer has all the Lexol products.

Old 03-11-2005, 08:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
You need both the cleaner and the restorer to make the leather look new/good again. My local Toyota dealer has all the Lexol products.

Eh...it's not available at a local parts store?

I just need to clean the interior a bit and make look a little better for a date next week. Some parts of the leather appear to be dry, it's not so much dirty the car is only 2 months old... .
Old 03-12-2005, 05:23 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Like I said, you want to get both the cleaner and the restorer....LEXOL....and NO, I've NEVER seen it at a local auto parts chain store...some Mom and Pop place might have it, get on the phone and call around for it and don't waste the gas.

www.lexol.com

Get some Vinylex while you are at it too for the rest of your interior and tires.

Old 03-12-2005, 05:36 AM

Yes they have lexol at some auto parts stores, I think I got mine at G.I. Joes, don't think I've seen it at Schucks, maybe try a smaller "local" auto parts store.

Last edited by firemedic; 03-12-2005 at 05:37 AM.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to work at Tony Lama Boots, and learned a lot about leather there. Leather is "pigmented" or "aniline dyed." Pigmented means painted, which is cheaper and is the method used on most car leathers except for the expensive ones. Aniline dye means that the entire hide is dyed, all the way through. Whe you buy boots, make sure you get aniline dyed boots and all you have to do is saddle soap them and oil them. They'll look great for years.

Unfortunately, the "pigment" or paint, blocks most of the conditioners from getting into the leather. So no matter how often you condition your seats, if they are pigmented, they're still gonna dry out and fall apart. I've already done mine in the '95 and they're starting to show some age again. Next time, I think I'll get a custom job in aniline-dyed castano leather and turn her into a "King Ranch" edition 4Runner.

Last edited by gwhayduke; 03-19-2005 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:02 PM
Contributing Member

Okay I'll confess...I actually ended up just ordering the Zaino stuff, and it should've been here yesterday. That Lexol stuff was gonna cost me quite a bit of bucks so I decided to just spend the money right from the get-go and get the Zaino Z-9 and Z-10 leather conditioner and cleaner.

Besides, I got horribly sick this week and I couldn't go for the date so I cancelled. So now i still have a chance to clean and condition my leather.