Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

HELP check engine light code, *SEARCHED*

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 12:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP check engine light code, *SEARCHED*

Hey everyone. Well as I was leaving school today, the check engine light came on. I took it right away to autozone to get the code pulled. I dont remember the exact code, but it said it was running lean. The guy said its a possible vacumn hose. I looked under the hood, I did not see anything out of the normal. I called the local service shop, he said it could be a number of things, and agreed with me that it could be the fuel filter, which to my knowledge has never been changed, 108,000 miles right now. What else should I check? I really would like to fix this myself, save some money if possible. Thanks!!
Old 05-05-2005, 12:57 PM
Banned

sure you dont remember what the code # was? autozone workers generally dont know much..... and a vacuum leak if thats what it was could be almost anything!
Old 05-05-2005, 01:06 PM
Contributing Member

ok, well heres the latest, I decided to reset the ecu (take out the fuse) and see if the code comes back. Well the code didnt come back after about 30 minutes of driving, I wont get too excited until a couple days have passed, but it looks good. What would cause the light to come on only once, and never come back again? Should I be worried and get it checked out? Its due soon for an oil change so Ill just have them replace all the filters/fluids/and look at the belts then. Anything else I should do at the 109000 mark?
Old 05-05-2005, 01:30 PM
Contributing Member

you have to know the code before anyone can help.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:00 PM
Contributing Member

Could also be an O2 sensor. That would be my bet.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:04 PM
Contributing Member

But I thought that if the O2 sensor is bad, theres a seperate code for it? and the ECU automatically makes the truck run rich if the o2 sensor is bad? Thats what I first suggested to the guy at autozone, and we both agreed it would be running rich
Old 05-05-2005, 04:11 PM

Got extra time and a wrench? change your fuel filter, needs it anyway. Check/clean your front 02 sensor, there is a write up in 4x4wire.com on how to do it.
my .02
Old 05-05-2005, 04:18 PM
Contributing Member

I already cleaned the o2 sensors a couple weeks ago. I will get the fuel filter changed, and once I figure out what else I should have them check/change, I will have that stuff done too when I get the oil changed.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dibble9012
But I thought that if the O2 sensor is bad, theres a seperate code for it? and the ECU automatically makes the truck run rich if the o2 sensor is bad? Thats what I first suggested to the guy at autozone, and we both agreed it would be running rich
An O2 sensor can report high or low when it's going out, and it can be "going out" and not cause the ECU to throw a code.

A lot of the suggestions given thus far are based on what a guy at AutoZone told you his interpretation of the CEL code was. Many of the codes are common between manufacturers, but the causes of what can cause the code will vary. For example, "Bank 1 lean" could be a number of things on our engines, and many folks have saved the cost of a dealer-installed O2 sensor by just cleaning the air filter.

Please never forget that AutoZone is in the business of selling parts to fix/mod your vehicle. If the code did happen to be a "Bank 1 lean" (or something in that genre) then I think it's interesting that the AZ dude just happened to point to the MOST COSTLY cause.

Like has been said... you really need to get the code. If the CEL popped once, then it'll probably pop again. PLEASE write down the code and let the folks here help.

Common maintenance things like cleaning/replacing the air and fuel filter are always a good idea, so I'd go ahead and do them now. But don't spend the $$$ on an O2 sensor until you're able to pass along more info.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:23 PM
Contributing Member

if it pops up again, I will definately get the exact code, he ran away too fast, the place was busy. I really dont think he was trying to say the most expensive thing, he said just take it to my normal shop and get it looked at, seemed like he was being honest, there was nothing in it for him or the store.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:55 AM
Contributing Member

ok, I think I remember seeing the screen, does code PO107 sound familiar? Edit, could be code PO171, I read here, that on toyotas thats the bank 1 too lean code. Hope if theres something wrong the light will come back on, I hope I didnt screw it up when I reset the ECU(pulled fuse), it would relearn the problem as normal would it? The explaination on the screen said, Bank 01 - running lean. Im not completely sure about the code number, but I think thats what I saw on the screen.

Last edited by dibble9012; 05-06-2005 at 04:20 AM.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:01 AM
Contributing Member

I read some other posts and it seems like a bad o2 sensor can make the truck run very lean too, and burn a hole in a piston. Should I still be worried if the CEL doesnt come back on?
Old 05-06-2005, 04:21 AM

02 sensors

just did both of mine

the failed within a few months of each other

tossed in toyota replacements, you can buy a cheap code reader at autozone for like 25 bucks, I am very glad that I bought one

tim

Last edited by BOSTON4RUNNER; 05-06-2005 at 04:22 AM.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:30 AM
Contributing Member

well im gonna start with replacing my fuel filter and air filter then work from there, i read that this error code just means that the first o2 sensor sensed too much oxygen, so I dont think its the o2 sensor, i just replaced it not too long ago. I will also get some brake cleaner to clean the MAF sensor.

Last edited by dibble9012; 05-06-2005 at 04:36 AM.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:54 AM

(wow you're wound up this morning! )

ok, I think I remember seeing the screen, does code PO107 sound familiar? Edit, could be code PO171... that on toyotas thats the bank 1 too lean code.
P0171 would make more sense than P0107. For future reference, the whole chart is here:
https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech/dr_z_obd/dr_z.htm

And those P codes are common across _all_ OBDII vehicles regardless of mfg.

Hope if theres something wrong the light will come back on
Yeup.

I hope I didnt screw it up when I reset the ECU(pulled fuse)
Nope.

it would relearn the problem as normal would it?
Yeup.

I read some other posts and it seems like a bad o2 sensor can make the truck run very lean too, and burn a hole in a piston
Yeup.

Should I still be worried if the CEL doesnt come back on?
Not really.

well im gonna start with replacing my fuel filter and air filter then work from there
Good idea.

i read that this error code just means that the first o2 sensor sensed too much oxygen, so I dont think its the o2 sensor
Right. That's why folks are really anxious to get the code from you. What you're seeing is the O2 sensor doing it's job and the ECU reporting the results.

i just replaced it not too long ago
Did you end up replacing it? I thought you did the acetone cleaning?

I will also get some brake cleaner to clean the MAF sensor.
That's also a good idea.

Have fun!
Old 05-06-2005, 07:07 AM
Contributing Member

hahaha, yea i was on yotatech a lot, thats what a boring first block computer class does to ya, hahaha and I just really want to make sure everythings ok, I heard that if its running too lean, you could burn a hole in a piston. I did just clean my o2 sensors with acetone, but back when I bought the truck almost a year ago, both of them had to be replaced.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:02 PM
Contributing Member

The light came back on today, Im just gonna take it to the local toyota shop and have them figure it out, too many variables to look at here, the code is definitaly PO171, I got it checked again at autozone today.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:41 PM

The light came back on today, Im just gonna take it to the local toyota shop and have them figure it out, too many variables to look at here, the code is definitaly PO171, I got it checked again at autozone today.
Okay... please keep us in the loop as to what they do.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:54 PM
Contributing Member

I certainly will, could be a number of things, the CEL codes are very vague
Old 05-08-2005, 10:09 PM

I certainly will, could be a number of things, the CEL codes are very vague
Right, but like we've all been saying, it's a definable list of things to go through. i.e., there aren't really any unknowns... It has to be one (or a combination) of "n" things.

I think we'd all like to see you NOT have to spend the money at the dealer to get this fixed, so it'll be interesting to see what happens as you do.

Please keep in mind that as the dealer says "we fixed it", then you know by your own tests that just because the code is cleared once, doesn't mean it won't come back. PLEASE be sure that the dealer will warranty their work for an ample amount of time (30 days?) to allow the code to pop back up.

Also think about asking about their position if they do ____ work for $____, claim it's fixed, and the code pops back in 2 weeks. i.e., will they reimburse you the $$$ since they didn't fix the problem the first time.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: HELP check engine light code, *SEARCHED*