Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed
View Poll Results: What detail products don't cut it?
Griot's Garage
17.95%
Zaino Bros.
30.77%
Other - Tell us what
41.03%
You don't bother detailing your rig
10.26%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Detailing Products

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2002, 09:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Detailing Products

What detailing products haven't lived up to their claims for you and why?
Old 12-11-2002, 09:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've used Mother's clay bar stuff in the past and have been happy with it. Also have used Meguiar's products. I think next I'll be trying the wax from Griots that Corey touts so much!
Old 12-11-2002, 10:09 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
As seen on my detail site, I am going to have to say Meguair's Cleaner/Wax, and Zymol's Cleaner/Wax.

Both are good products, but they don't last more than a few months.

As everyone knows by now, I toot my trumpet for Griot's products.
Been using their stuff for awhile now, and it lasts.
It has lots of carnuaba in it, and that helps it to last so long, and shine.

I normaly would have put on a winter coat of wax, but I don't feel the need too.
Last wax job was May 11th, and my paint is still beading water into small drops, and the shine is blinding still.
I won't be waxing again until March.
Old 12-11-2002, 11:27 AM

Mothers Alum polish kinda sucks. It scratches.

Any car polish that says it lasts a year is bogus

Flitz metal polish sucks too.

on the other hand...

I've heard that Zaino is awesome.

There is a polish I used to use, I don't think they make it anymore

Eagle One "Visual Perfection"

It was super glossy, low dust, easy on, easy off and perfect for DARK colors. I am on my last kit.

Last edited by sherri_girl; 12-11-2002 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-11-2002, 03:11 PM
Contributing Member

I've tried a lot of different polishes and waxes on the vehicles I have owned over the years. I can't say I ever had any problems other than waxes and polishes not holding up as long as they were supposed to.

I'm currently trying out Zainos and have to say it is one of the easiest to use polishes that I have tried so far.

My wife and I have 2 new Toyotas a 4-Runner and a Pre-Runner
so I didn't need to buff either truck but did use Griot's Clay bar first.

So, I'll see how long the Zainos holds up to the New Mexico sun.

BTW - I'm the "Bone Head" that hit the Zaino Button

I have emailed HBoss to switch it to the "Other" catagory

Paul
Old 12-11-2002, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by ALBPM
BTW - I'm the "Bone Head" that hit the Zaino Button

I have emailed HBoss to switch it to the "Other" catagory

Paul
All done Paul.
Old 12-11-2002, 08:09 PM
Contributing Member

Hey thanks HBoss!!!!!

Yes, the Zainos shines like nothing I've ever seen. I have been using micro fiber towels to apply the Z6 Gloss Enhancer and to wipe off the polish. They work so much better than cotton did for me.
Old 12-11-2002, 08:22 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I might have to give the MF towels a shot.

I use a big one from Griot's to wipe the rig down after I wash it, and it works far better than a big bath towel like I use to use in the past.
Old 12-11-2002, 08:40 PM
Contributing Member

The MF towels will work great with the Griots Speed Shine. Not to mention cleaning windows and wiping the wax off.

I can just see it now.... The Corey Cable and Micro Fiber shine
Old 12-12-2002, 07:21 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Cool, I will indeed try these.

It will be awhile before I get the chance to try them though, winter is finally arriving here in the Pacific Northwest.

Do you find the MF towels take off stuff better, or it just glides over the wax/polish better when wiping it off?

I'd also try the Zaino, but with it I hear you have to leave it on for awhile, and my detail area is outside under a fir tree.

I have to work fast when waxing here so pitch and other crap doesn't get wiped in when buffing.
If I had to leave the Zaino on for a long period, the rig would have it on and numerous other fall out mixed in with the stuff.

Hey, not sure if you have tried it, but a guy on the detail forum uses a Porter Cable when he does the Zaino.
Here is his avatar.

I get a kick out out his sig line too.
Autopia: The only place where you'll find people with more, and more expensive, towels in their garages than they have in their bathrooms.
Not sure if there is an advantage to it or not using the PC with it.
Bob here might know, as he owns the PC, but recently switched to Zaino.
I hear it works great with dark colored rigs.
Old 12-12-2002, 08:01 AM
Contributing Member

Hey Corey,

Do you find the MF towels take off stuff better, or it just glides over the wax/polish better when wiping it off?
Yes, they do take stuff off better. I believe the MF towels were developed to use in Laboratory/Cleanroom conditions where detergents and cleaners could not be used. Just rinse and MF towel, ring out the excess water and try it on a dirty window. I'm amazed at what I can clean with MF and just water. With the Quick Detailer products the MF towels tend to pick up more dust and dirt without scratching than cotton.

I'd also try the Zaino, but with it I hear you have to leave it on for awhile, and my detail area is outside under a fir tree.
If you are careful and follow intructions like I know you do, you should have no problems. The thinner the application the easier it is to remove. Probably just like with Griots.
I've been polishing my Runner in the cold 40-50 degF and it seems to dry in about 15-20 minutes. I'll apply it to my hood and then start on the roof. By the time I finish applying to the roof the hood is dry enough to wipe off the polish. I keep the polish applicator pad moistened with both water and the Z6 Gloss Enhancer spray.
I also have the dry climate down here helping dry the polish. It is usually 5.0-7.0% humidity down here. So, it may take a bit longer to dry up in Washinton. Also you can apply Zainos in the sun if the surface of the vehicle is not too hot.
The only thing I don't like is to have to wait 24 hrs for each coat to cure before adding the next coat. They do have the new ZFX™ Flash Cure Accelerator Additive but I haven't ordered any yet.

Hey, not sure if you have tried it, but a guy on the detail forum uses a Porter Cable when he does the Zaino.
I still have to get a PC.
I need to do some serious work on the hood of my wifes Pre-Runner. I found several bubbles in the paint and there are some scratches and swirl marks that the Z5 won't cover.
Old 12-12-2002, 08:09 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, that whole 24 hour thing can't be done here sicne my rig is outside 24/7.
Corey
Old 12-12-2002, 09:14 AM
Contributing Member

Mines outside 24/7 too. I just wipe it down with the Gloss Enhancer (same as Speed Shine) and add the next coat of polish.

Paul
Old 12-13-2002, 09:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Zaino all the way from a guy whose tried most of the Meguiar's products, Griots, and misc other 3M, Turtle wax, etc products.

Bob
Old 12-21-2002, 09:32 PM
Contributing Member

Meguiar's Gold Class wax is the best wax I have used. Anything made by them works well for me. Eagle 1 products are also good. Anything made by Tech2000 sucks. And dont use tire foam no matter who its made by, it looks good at first but it makes your tires brown.
Old 05-31-2003, 06:23 AM

I have ben quite happy with Meguirs products espacially the cleaner/wax. But I am gaining interest in the Zainos products I have heard so much about. Does anyone know where in Canada I can get them?
Old 05-31-2003, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think Zainos is all web based. Order online, shipped to youor door.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:35 AM

my 2 cent.

I've been using MF towels from Pakshak.com in Hawaii. They are great quality and on the cheap side. Ranney is a cool guy and is always having a sale or bundle of some sort.

I recently purchased a Porter Cable 7424 and this thread helped a whole lot! Since receiving it I cannot stop taking scratches out of cars. Been using yellow pads and Meguiars #9 for most and all I can say is that its a hell of a lot easier (and faster) than elbow grease!

Zaino has a GREAT protection to the elements and is long lasting but does suck up the dust (dirt, road, brake). I think if you are going to take the time to apply $40-75 worth or product (ie: a full line of Zaino prods.) to your auto's paint it is neccessary to clay first. You won't believe the difference in the paints' feel and appearance after, leaving a perfect base for your product. "Klasse" All-In-One and Sealant Glaze along with "S100" polish and wax products are my favorite to date, for the price and appearance; the later brand being available at all Harley Dealers and extremely easy to apply/remove.

Don't forget, never use dawn to wash your auto, it will take off any wax ever applied.

Eagle One tire gel, Sonus plastic and glass polish (window tint safe. . . I'm 97.9% sure!), Einmann Fabrik Pearle QD, Meg's Gold Class Vinyl & Rubber Protect., and Simple Green are some of the most used in my arsenal.

Not a detailer, just love to keep my ride on point. Any questions on these products, ask! This is my first post but I don't got no 4R yet! Looking for a '96 SR5 3.4 4x2 right now. Soon . . . Soon??!! Late.

-Stu.
Old 06-09-2003, 12:39 PM

I have Zaino's, bought it for my lexus and used it alot. Works awesome.

If you start from scratch, clay bar your car, then wash with dawn to make sure all the previous buildup is removed. Its amazing how squeaky clean your car can get From there, you can apply the many different layers of Zaino's.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:25 PM

I find that the Honda Pro spray polish sold at Honda cycle dealerships works wonders on all things plastic or rubber and does not leave any residue on other surfaces. Great for weather stripping and all the plastic doodads in the engine compartment. Dirt does not like to stick to it. Also good for restoring neglected hoses to near their original color and pliability.

Last edited by Auratus; 06-09-2003 at 10:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Detailing Products