Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Changing wiper inserts

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 02:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Changing wiper inserts

Okay, I'm an idiot. I cannot figure out how to change the wiper inserts for the life of me! And before I go to the dealer tomorrow and look like an idiot in front of them, I figure I'll be an idiot in front of you all first!

So, what's the trick to remove them? I do have the OEM replacements to go on and the directions indicate to lift some "lever" to be able to remove the blade from the arm. I have failed miserably on step 1! I see no lever and I don't want to break/bend those brackets that hold the blade on. It won't budge.

Old 07-15-2004, 03:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Darren,

Boy, you just know how to do that hardcore stuff, huh?!?! This ranks in difficulty w/ "How to replace the TPS sensor" posted just yesterday. I thought about writing this awhile back but didn't in fear of being teased.

Ok, enough kidding aside, its very simple: push the lever all the way and then slide the entire wiper arm downwards. Once cleared, bow the wiper outwards to remove:

Then remove the stopper at the end and slide out the metal runners.

The rubber wiper inserts will come right out.

Bob
Old 07-15-2004, 03:55 PM
Contributing Member

Screw this! This is, in fact, way too hardcore for me. Since you think this is soooo "easy," I think I'm just gonna buy you a plane ticket out here so you can change mine for me! Jerk!

Believe me, I searched for a write-up, explanation, anything, but I figured this was just over the top, and something only the elite techs are able to handle. Guess you'll have to find a home for those pics after all!

Okay, well I had messed with that lever, but no go. Now that I know I'm looking at the right thing, I'll just have to work with it a bit further. I can't wait. Surely trading in the 4Runner will be much easier.

Thanks, Bob!
Old 07-15-2004, 04:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
LOL!

Darren, after hanging out with the Marmot himself last weekend, yeah, fly me out! I need some new scenery.

Edit: try re-seating the wiper arm. Quite possibly the lever cannot be depressed if its not seated 100%.

Bob
Old 07-15-2004, 08:09 PM
Contributing Member

Well, I figured I'd post the outcome, so here it is. I traded in the 'Runner this evening. Yep, just too tough for me. The new Jeep GC is about the same color blue if you wanna see pictures.

Nah, thanks to Mr. Kim, I am now an official wiper blade installer technician. Bob, I got it off pretty easily when I went at it again. Apparently, that was the only direction I didn't try to push/pull in to get it off previously! It was a lot easier to work with after I got it off the main arm. Good grief, though. I guess I'll leave the thread up.

Marmot was out there AGAIN?! You ought to switch him places for awhile. I think he's been out there more than he has been here this year.

Well, thanks again for the help/motivation! I do appreciate it.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:49 PM

Those damn wiper blades pissed me off too!!!
Old 07-16-2004, 07:57 AM

LOL...I made the mistake of using non-OEM refills on my truck right after I bought it, and I threw away those little metal inserts that you're supposed to put into the new (OEM) refills. So the next time I changed 'em, it took me two trips to the dealer and a special parts order.

Never thought I could make such a simple job so complicated!
Old 07-16-2004, 08:04 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Darren
...before I go to the dealer tomorrow ...
Dealer? Forget the blades then, and just buy the whole kit as it will be cheaper that what a stealer will charge you to change the blades!
Old 07-16-2004, 04:53 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
I just change the whole wiper blade, it's worth the extra $3 per side to not have a headache like that! I also switched to the Bosch blades on both our cars and I like them a lot, seem to clear rain much better than the OEM ones.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:51 AM

Unhappy

Changed the whole wiper blade, or the entire arm assembly? I hate those metal strips, and I swear, one of these days, I'm gonna scratch the wind-screen. I checked with the local auto parts store, and they have no replacements for my Tundra...curious that is. I figured he was an idiot, and I am likely not going back.

Where'd you get your Bosch replacements? And can anyone tell me what "kit" was being refered to? Thanks!

(Seems like there's a few of us who have trouble with this difficult task...I guess I shouldn't feel so bad anymore)

--Adam
Old 08-01-2004, 09:16 AM
Contributing Member

If you look for an aftermarket part you'll end up replacing the entire blade assembly - not the arm but everything at the end of it.
Go to Toyota and buy the inserts. They don't cost that much and you're not getting rid of a part that can/should be reused.
Old 08-01-2004, 09:46 AM
Contributing Member

Not only did I replace the main insert that I originally needed to replace, but I also changed the other one! Took about 3 hours less and was actually only a few minutes! It was a breeze. Lining up those metal strips were never a problem for me.

The general consensus here, and anywhere else, has been to use Toyota inserts over any aftermarket ones. They do work good.
Old 08-01-2004, 02:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Toy inserts are the best IMO. I had switched to Bosch previously and they didn't work too well for me. Switched back to Toy and haven't been happier.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:00 AM
Contributing Member

I too recommend OEM blades, a buddy has had his on his (his had, had his)97 for about a year. Work perfectly! My BOSCH wipers on the other hand lasted me a month.