Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

Stupid noob needs help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Stupid noob needs help.

Hi, my wife and i bought a 93 4runner 4 cylinder auto almost a year ago and im so sick of how sluggish it is! i know next to nothing about mechanics in general but am eager to learn. when i tried to have our truck safetied i was told there was only about 60% compression in the first cylinder by one mechanic that put me back (total repairs and tires and what not) around $1700 only to be told the engine needed to be rebuilt.
i took it to a 4runner specialty mechanic that replaced the plugs/wires/cap/rotor, retarded the timing (manually) and got it to pass the e-test. which was great for only $350 more. (ya...i should have taken it to him first, i know!)

so a year later, i love my truck but it shifts hard and bogs like crazy...being on a tighter then tight budget and getting more and more frustrated by the day, i would really like some advice as to what my best course of action would be.

like i said, im not opposed to pulling the engine apart and learning how to replace a head gasket or whatever might help. beyond that i would consider an engine swap, but again, i dont even know what kind of engine i have or what would be an easy swap for a simpleton like myself.

please know that 3 of my friends are mechanics and thats the only reason i would consider doing an engine swap. i have lots of help if i run into a jam, but im sick of relying on other ppl to bail me out when my vehicle goes for a dump.

so if anyone is willing to comment on this and help point me in the right direction, i would be eternally grateful!

thanks for reading all this if nothing else.
Greg
Old 02-18-2009, 10:18 AM

Contact mike at sunwest engines in medical lake washington. He did the engine in mine. Great price.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:24 AM

yeah mikes the man... 1-888-355-5527 i paid like 1400 bucks for a rebuilt block, new head casting and an rv cam and they use the hardened steel timing guides.. runs like a champ...
Old 02-18-2009, 10:27 AM

Or you could buy the parts and rebuild it yourself. Its a great learning experience.

Another option would be to buy a rebuilt one and keep the old one to wrench on and see how it works, etc..
Old 02-18-2009, 10:32 AM

maybe i should have mentioned i live in Southwestern Ontario...but im sure Mike is a very nice guy!

how do i find out what kind of engine i have? i called a dealership last week looking for a part and the dude asked if i had the 'north american' or 'japan' version...??? how the heck should i know?!? lol
Old 02-18-2009, 10:33 AM

That cam mike puts in does a good job.I did the same deal.New pistons,head timing cover,great deal.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:48 AM

Look on your Tag on the doorjam,

Youll get the vin number which will tell you all the information you need to know.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by iamgreg
...i was told there was only about 60% compression in the first cylinder by one mechanic that put me back (total repairs and tires and what not) around $1700 only to be told the engine needed to be rebuilt.
Assuming the rest of the cylinders are running at 60%, that's pretty indicative of a worn engine. How many miles are on the engine?
Old 02-18-2009, 10:53 AM

mike at sunwest ships those engines just about anywhere you want... what sold me was when he told me last year alone he built over 300 of the 22r's alone... and for what it will cost to rebuild it yourself or buy a used engine.. it worth spendin a few extra bucks and getting it done right the first time..
Old 02-18-2009, 10:56 AM

its got 290k on it...
Old 02-18-2009, 01:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
where u at in ontario!!
i love 22re 4runners!
Old 02-18-2009, 02:13 PM

Mike ships anywhere. Im in Virginia.He packs it well,takes about a week to make it to the east coast.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:25 PM

iselloil...dude...im not trying to snub you or anything, and i do appreciate that your trying to help however i'm on a tighter then tight budget so getting a rebuilt engine shipped up to the middle of nowhere ontario from washington isn't really a financially viable option unfortunately.

i've been looking around at stuff and the 'rebuild kit' looks like it would be alot of fun, and a great opportunity for me to learn my way around my truck. can anyone suggest wht *kind* of kit i should be looking for??
sorry i cant offer any more info about my mechanical situation beyond that i was told that the first cylinder is firing at 60% and the other ones were better but not great.

anyone have a guess as to what it *could be*??
and if your wondering why i'd take advise from ppl i dont know that havent even seen my truck run rather then take it back to the garage is because they dont seem to have any bloody idea what the hell i could do other then "send it away to get rebuilt". im tired of blindly throwing money at the problem and having no real reassurance or confidence that its gonna be in tip-top shape when i get it back.

any and all input would be helpful, really...
Old 02-18-2009, 03:33 PM

WHERE YOU AT IN SOUTHERN ontario??
i know quite a bit about 22re 4banger 4runners i have had 3 still have 2.

is yours an auto?? they really are dog slow!
mine are 5 speeds
Old 02-18-2009, 03:35 PM

hey bigt, i live in harriston...not quite the middle of nowhere, but you can see it from here! lol

ya its an auto...dude, HELP! lol what can i doooooo???
Old 02-18-2009, 03:37 PM

well first off is it just slow or is there something wrong??
if its just slow about all i would do is maybe regear or live with the dog..
ive seen 22re motors on kijiji and even I have one for a core waiting to be rebuilt..
boggin and rough shifts..

hrmm maybe a 5 spd swap!
Old 02-18-2009, 03:41 PM

Hey throw a can of restore in it with a good oil change see what happens.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:42 PM

thats the thing...i dont know how much is wrong with it. i mean its a pretty heavy beast of a truck and a little 4 banger tug'n it along. i've never driven any other 4 cylinders so i have nothing to compare it to, you know?

that being said, im sure 60% compression and like 85% average in the other 3 couldnt help matters.
am i wrong in thinking a rebuild kit, new head gasket, look-see and maybe after all of that just drop a turbo on it might be the way to go? its not my primary driver and its gonna be off the road all summer anyway, time isnt much of a factor and i really would like to know more about whats go'n on under the hood. sorta chip away at it little by little money wise. not looking to make this a show truck or anything, but pump it full of refurb'ed parts and get it whistle'n again...
Old 02-18-2009, 03:43 PM

yea the boggin could be a plugged cat or dirty afm or tps...
theres lots we can help ya do.. yotatech is all you need to fix your 22re 4runner period.

better off rebuilding a 22rt is you want a turbo and install that.. but reall;y the 4 banger should be fine.. especially only offroad... 2 of my 4runners are offroad only.. they are 5 spds as i mentioned.. if you was closer you could come drive my truck hahaa

Last edited by bigt; 02-18-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:43 PM

hopefully i've prepared you for my complete and total ignorance...but...whats 'restore'?

Quick Reply: Stupid noob needs help.