Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

New to Engine Swaps

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 02:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2big4arunner
If you have a 400+hp motor in a truck, the front and rear axles to handle said hp are gonna run you 3 grand..... Let alone the rest. the kits to adapt the motors and transmission are about a thousand dollars. I could make the 1uz that bolts up to a 340 transmission produce great reliable power and not have to Fab much at all.

With that being said, stick to what you know and got. I wouldn't Blame you for wanting that motor in the truck but a lot of drivetrain upgrades come with it. Either way, I would love to see progress on the truck.

I love the look of the crawler as well. Great job.

Inspiration = imagination + determination
thanks for the input.. the updated driveline i have would more than handle the HP im going to pump through it. got most of it from the brother in law who is a crawler nut.lol did some trading so if i had to put a cash value on it id say i give him 225 bucks for it all( did i mention he drinks too much). the axles themselves ive made in my machine shop as well as the mounts for engine. got the tranny supports on blueprint table now drawing them up. the HP is more for the mud than rock crawling so the honeycomb driveshafts and hardened axles should do the trick. ive thought on the 4.3 alot because it is a really good choice for the truck.the monster V8 is built and paid for so thats one reason i decided on it rather than spending more on building another one. having the machine shop saves alot of cash being spent as i can make nearly anything.
i got a 700R bare case from a local salvage yard to help me get everything mocked up and traded the original V6 tranny for a transfer case. driveshaft is a bit off so its gotta get some attention as well.
it would definitly get the 4.3 if i didnt have the shop simply because of the cost of adapters,etc. i have had several of them not having many problems at all.
still on the hunt for wheels, tires and suspension parts so any suggestions would be great.

i should mention also that i have found 94 4runner with a bad 3.0( aint they all..lmao) that could be picked up very cheap, like 700.00 bucks cheap...hmmm, may be a 4.3 project in the making.

thanks again guys
Attached Thumbnails New to Engine Swaps-backgrounds_12431.png  
Old 06-20-2012, 08:27 PM

[quote=2big4arunner;51933554]I really appreciate your posts James. It shows your just another guy that is having fun in a toyota. I see what you like about the 4.3. I dont know why your gas mileage is so low (*looking at tires and trails) When you put the 4L60e in, did you have to do much to make the transfer case or floor shifter work? or did you put in a herst shifter and call it a day?

The toyota t case shifter sits back about 10 inches or so , i had to cut a new hole. I looked and looked for a trans shifter. I didnt want a b&m ratchet shifter. And then i found one i really like. It's from a 69 camaro . I just sit my hand on it and grab the button . It feels real natural, you dont have to look at the shifter. I cut some pices off the front of the center console and made a new Styrofoam center console shape. Then fiber glassed over the foam and the mating center console parts. I did multiple layer's, sanded and then bondoed it smooth , sanded , painted. It was a lot of work but it was really fun. I never played with fiber glass and bondo before. Here's some pictures Hope you like.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:29 AM

Does 2,000 dollars sound like to much to have the timing chain in my 97 2.7 liter replaced. Its getting to that mileage and that is why I was wondering about a different motor, because I could get a crate 350 for about 2,500 dollars and would probably put chevy axles underneath it too. It would be really nice to have a straight axle front end compared to the crappy cv joints it has now. One other thing is it a big thing to turbo the motor I have already I know that there was the possibility that I needed to get low compression pistons or something.

Last edited by UPMudflinger; 06-21-2012 at 07:34 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:37 AM

Yeah I understand your point I was thinking about looking into the numerically higher gear ratios for my transmission. I've heard its expensive but well worth it.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by UPMudflinger
Does 2,000 dollars sound like to much to have the timing chain in my 97 2.7 liter replaced. Its getting to that mileage and that is why I was wondering about a different motor, because I could get a crate 350 for about 2,500 dollars and would probably put chevy axles underneath it too. It would be really nice to have a straight axle front end compared to the crappy cv joints it has now. One other thing is it a big thing to turbo the motor I have already I know that there was the possibility that I needed to get low compression pistons or something.
good lord man. i just overhauled my father in laws 2.7 and only had 485 in the whole thing.thats with me doing the labor but still, 2000 for a timing chain is like 100 bucks for a snickers bar! lol
alot of mechanics out to rip people off so beware.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:03 PM

that is also at a toyota dealer because i don't trust the local garages in my area
Old 06-22-2012, 08:56 AM

I think 2000 is pretty high. Have you considered checking what the parts are costing and what Labor they are charging you. It might have extras that you don't need like coolant flushes...etc
Old 06-23-2012, 09:57 AM

yeah i'm sure there was extra charges i'm probably just going to do it myself. I think its like 200 bucks for a new chain.