Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

Live4soccer7's 1UZ-FE Ramblings -> Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 10:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Live4soccer7's 1UZ-FE Ramblings -> Swap

I have started a thread that is turning into research and will result in the swap of a 1UZ unless I am swayed from it for some strange reason. For all the research that I have done and the options out there, I believe I will stay with the 1UZ. The linked thread is about 1% of the research that I have done, but some none-the-less.

Original thread

All further relevant information will be in this thread.

A great thread by 4.0 Pickup: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f161...0f-ifs-223018/
He is using this the bell housing from here: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...at=0&_from=R40

Last edited by live4soccer7; 01-18-2013 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:45 AM

Does anyone know about the differences between the R150f, R151, and R154 transmissions in regards the the input shaft lengths and bell housings?

Really, I'm interested if there a particular year set to look for and if there are any differences when mating up the above transmissions or if they are interchangeable in that aspect.

Here is some wiring information carried over from the old thread: http://oldschool.co.nz/2011/forum/in...howtopic=30736

Dimensional information on the 1UZ:

1UZ-FE (if anyone finds different dimensions, let me know) - http://www.v-eight.com/tech_forum/vi....php?f=5&t=532
from oil pan to top is roughly 25.6"
from front to back roughly 25.8"
from side to side roughly 24.4"
Weight (rough): ~380-400 lbs (might be a little light, but a ballpark)

Gear box setup:
1UZ Gearing Information:
Stock Tire Size: 225/55R16 = 25.7" Diameter
Stock Gear Ratios .705 O/D http://www.lextreme.com/34x.html
92 SC400 Rear End Ratio: 3.92
@ 75 in final drive 2710

My Setup:
Tires: 37" diameter
Rear End 5.29
5th Gear Ratio (R154): 0.753 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_...smission#R151F
@ 75 in final drive 2713

This is better (for my gearing and setup) than the other R150/1 series (unless someone has another opinion) due to the final drive if you will be driving at higher speeds because of the lower RPM's. I believe the R154 is just as strong internally (may be the same minus the gearing options).

Some more good information that I had saved, but didn't save the link (oops).

"I opted for a pre 98. The early 1uz such as mine has forged internals
The 1uz changed in 98 to include toyota's VVTI technology. That technology produces more HP but has security called an immobilizer"

And again, I forgot to save the link where I got this info (thanks to whomever created it).

"SC400 vs LS400

Oil Pan - LS400 uses a front sump, which is good for an IFS truck. The SC400 is a rear sump and works well with a solid axle. There is also a mid sump oil pan from the 2uz that was installed on Landcruisers that works great for solid axle trucks if you can find one. You also need the oil pump pickup and dipstick tube for whatever sump you use.

Oil filter. The LS400's oil filter adapter sticks out farther and will interfere with the frame. The SC400 will work fine if you carefully position the motor. Some swaps use an aftermarket remote oil filter.

Power Steering Pump. The LS400 has its fluid resevoir built right on to the pump. This works well for a street driven truck. The SC400 uses a remote mounted resevoir similar to the 22re. If you want to use a hydro assist ram you need The SC400 pump and use a larger aftermarket resevoir.

Exhaust Manifolds. The LS400's won't fit between the frame rails of the truck. The SC400's will fit but you will likely need to modify the flanges for frame and firewall clearance. You can also use Tundra exhaust manifolds but I believe they also need to be modified at the flange. I tried fitting a set of Tundra aftermarket headers and the passenger one actually fit fine but the drives side interferes with the steering shaft. you would need to heavily modify one of the header tubes to get them to fit. I plan on eventually doing this.

Cooling Fan. The LS400 uses a combination of electric fans and a standard clutch fan to draw air through the radiator. None of them will fit but you need the idler bracket from this engine or buy an aftermarket Tundra idler braket so you can use an aftermarker electric cooling fan. The SC400 uses a hydraulicly controlled cooling fan that has a pump built into the idler pulley. The fan won't fit in the truck and the idler pump bracket can't be used.

Fuel Injectors. The SC400 has bigger fuel injectors and makes a bit more horsepower than the LS400 but both will work. I've even seen people use even larger Supra TT injectors.

Anything 96 and newer is gonna be OBDII and would require all of the sensors and evap system to be in place to run correctly. The older ones may throw a code but won't affect the way it runs. The SC is better for a solid axle. (I am no familiar with the GS at all). Some had traction control, some didn't. Avoid it if you can."

Last edited by live4soccer7; 01-17-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:11 PM

With the above information it seems that a pre-98 would be best so that you can get forged internals. Here is a breakdown. If anyone has information to counter this, post up.
  • Easiest swap and strongest 1UZ will come from a 91-95 SC400 (if using with a solid axle).
  • If OBII is desired then a 96-97 would be great with the forged internals still.
  • If you are after the VVTi then 98 and up would be your target, but you will lose forged internals at this point and will need to deal with the immobilizer.

edit: I have a source over at lextreme saying the internals are NOT forged, but more beefed up in the Gen I 1UZ engines. Take a look: http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showt...d=1#post131944

Last edited by live4soccer7; 01-20-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:14 PM

I will likely go with the 91-95 to make the swap a little easier and the ability to easily delete EGR, get the motor up and running more easily, and ability to add forced induction down the road (if I choose to). These motors are able to handle the additional power without modification to the block internals. I am trying to find the article that I read to show this, but can't at the moment. If someone else has more information on this, post up.

Last edited by live4soccer7; 01-17-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From the other thread, I am running a r150 with the ks racing bellhousing. I believe it was $485 for the kit. The input shaft length should be close enough between the r150 and r151, but I think the r154 is longer and you just trim some off. this is on the KS website. The kit comes with a input extension to make it fit and the slave and clutch fork are reused. The only adjustments I had to make to the clutch were to cut down the slave mounting point and back out the clutch pivot bolt. As to using the r154, that is a RWD car transmission and you would have to bolt up a transfer case, dont know how hard that would be.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:45 PM

Interesting point, perhaps it won't be possible. I'll look into it more. For the meantime here is some info on the r154:

http://users.tpg.com.au/users/loats/...earboxes2.html
Old 01-17-2013, 11:24 PM

Not entirely impossible with the R154: http://members.iinet.net.au/~ozrunner/5Speed1.html

More information, same end result though. A success with photos: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...-hybrid-2.html

I don't really feel like tearing an entire transmission apart to swap the shaft, so I will take a look and see what other options I can find.

Last edited by live4soccer7; 01-17-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:43 AM

With the availability of r150s with transfer cases that seems like the cheapest easiest option. You still get .838 overdrive and a tough transmission without having to swap inputs. Though then you get a chain driven case which may not be the best for 37s. R151s are $$$ around here. w56 might be an option, there are adapter kits for it as well. I have heard good things about that trans but dont know how it would handle v8 torque.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:03 AM

With the availability of r150s with transfer cases that seems like the cheapest easiest option. You still get .838 overdrive and a tough transmission without having to swap inputs. Though then you get a chain driven case which may not be the best for 37s. R151s are $$$ around here. w56 might be an option, there are adapter kits for it as well. I have heard good things about that trans but dont know how it would handle v8 torque.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:07 AM

I've got the w56 with the duals installed in the truck now. I actually just rebuilt the w56. I believe the R15x is much stronger. I'll have to look around at a few other options as well. I was trying to get away without having to change my front/rear gears again because I have 5.29 and with the .838 over drive, I'll be sitting at 3019 rpms vs the .753 in the r154 at 2713 rpms at 75 mph. The later is actually only 3 rpms off from a stock sc400 car at that speed.

However, with that said if I have issues with the tranny down the road then I would likely have to source TWO more trannies to build another R150/4 transmission (unless just bearings). Finding them would be one thing, but then I'd have to swap the internals all over again. I think I will opt out of this option and stick with an R150/R151 for the ease of swapping it out later if need be. I will see what other feasible options are out there. I suppose after the swap I can change the gears again if it is that bad. Oooorrrr get even bigger tires. ha ha. I probably won't get larger tires though.

I wish there was a way to use the T-56. That would be simply amazing.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:53 PM

Here is some great collective information from this link: http://www.v-eight.com/tech_forum/vi...hp?f=62&t=1582

As the 1UZ was factory-fitted to a number of different vehicles there are some notable differences between engines depending on the original fitment. In addition, the engine had three major updates that spanned all vehicles at roughly the same time (give or take a few months).

Notwithstanding individual model differences the engines can broadly be classified into the following years

1989-1993 (original)
1995-1997
1998-2002?

To assist in engine identification the vehicles model numbers are handy.
The cosmetic differences are quite wide ranging and you should ensure you check for as many indicators as possible to positively identify an engine.

Toyota Crown:
Crown Royal Saloon (1989-1992ish) UZS-131 cut off dates are probably September but no one is certain.
Crown Majesta (1992-1996ish) UZS-141 & UZS-151

Toyota Soarer/Lexus SC400
UZZ30, UZZ31, UZZ32

Toyota Celsior/Lexus LS400
UCF10, UCF11, UCF20, UCF21 & UCF30

Toyota Aristo
UZS143

Engine badges/signage:
Crown - plenum has a “4 CAM 32” badge on the plenum and the plug covers say "Toyota".
Soarer, Celsior, Aristo - has the Toyota logo on the plenum and “V8 FOUR CAM 32” on the LHS plug cover
LS400, SC400 - has an "L" badge on the plenum and "V8 FOUR CAM 32” on the LHS plug cover.

Engine mounts:
Crown (pre-96) - Traditional steel mounts with a rubber isolating block with 4 fasteners.
Crown (post-96) - cast Alloy "ears" that stick straight out with a rubber isolator with one stud each end.
SC400 - cast Alloy "ears" that stick straight out with a rubber isolator with one stud each end. Same as Crown (post-96)
LS400 - cast alloy "ears" that sweep forward and out with a rubber isolator with one stud each end.
Celsior – as per LS400

Sump:
Early Crown - UZS131 has mid bowl without an oil level gauge. Dipstick runs down thru head to sump.
Crown Royal Majesta - UZS 141 & UZS151 has front sum like an LS400
Soarer/SC400 -Rear bowl sump with oil level gauge. Dipstick in an external tube.
Celsior/LS400 - Front bowl sump with oil level gauge and dipstick in an external tube.
Aristo - Front bowl sump with front driveshaft running through midway.

Oil pans are not interchangeable without the alloy intermediate plate. Swapping sumps requires the oil pan, intermediate plate, windage tray, oil pickup, oil level gauge (where fitted) and dipstick/tube.

Intake:
Plenum - Aside from badging, there are two types - one with a central port for cold-start injector (pre-'94 models?), one without. (later?)

Pre '94 engines have metal vacuum pipes around the front of the plenum, 1994+ engines dont

Throttle body:
Crown – all have traction control on Throttle body.
Soarer/SC400 - may or may not have traction control depending on model in range.
Celsior/LS400 - all have traction control.
Aristo - No traction control

Resonance chamber is different between engines.
Intake pipe is different between engines.

Air filter assembly:
Crown UZS131 - use round assembly.
Crown UZS 141 & UZS151 – uses rectangular assembly.
Soarer/SC400 - uses rectangular assembly.
Celsior/LS400 - use round assembly
Aristo – use rectangular assembly

Fuel lines:
Crown and Soarer/SC400 fuel lines enter and exit from behind the cam covers.
Celsior/LS400 fuel lines enter and exit lower on the engine. They enter and exit under the exhaust manifold

Fuel rails:
The early 1uz 1989-1994 have billet fuel rails.
The later 1uz 1995-1997 have cast alloy fuel rails.

Injectors:
Crown UZS131 - 215cc
Crown UZS 141 & UZS151 – 215cc
Soarer/SC400 - 251cc
Celsior/LS400 - 215cc

Cooling fan:
Crown, LS400 - has viscous fan driven from an idler above the crank pulley
Soarer/SC400, Celsior - has hydraulic fan driven by a pump

The belt idler mount (the alloy spider fitting) on the engines are different to allow for the different fan arrangements. Whilst different they can be interchanged so you can use a Crown on any engine and vice versa.

The UZZ32 Soarer uses a unique front cover to support the combined suspension/power steering pump and other ancillaries. It runs 2 serpentine belts.

Oil filters mounting assemblies:
Crown UZS131 - has the filter mounted at the rear of the engine with a long rigid adaptor bolting to the front of the engine and supported at the rear.
Crown UZS 141 & UZS151, Soarer/SC400 - have filter mounted below air conditioning compressor
Celsior/LS400 - have filter mounted below the air conditioning compressor like the SC400 but slightly further back.

Power steering:
Crown, Celsior/LS400, Aristo - p/s pump has the reservoir attached to it.
Soarer/SC400 - uses remote reservoir.

Thermostat housing:
Crown UZS131 - no bleed line off the housing.
Crown UZS 141 & UZS151 - no bleed line off the housing.
SC400 - has 1 bleed line from the housing
LS400 - has one bleed line to the reservoir.
Celsior - has one bleed line to the reservoir.

Wiring Harness:
Crown UZS131 - Has separate Engine and ECT ECU's. Wiring harness is fairly integrated into chassis wiring harness. Uses Fuel Pump relay for pump speed control. By far the hardest to wire up. Does not have provision for oil level gauge.
Soarer, SC400 - Simple 1 piece harness. M-REL, BATT, B+, etc are located near the battery. Requires Fuel Pump ECU for proper pump control. Easiest to wire up.some models do not have Trac so a different loom. UZZ32 is unique and won’t interchange to another engine.
Celsior, LS400 - Simple 1 piece harness. M-REL, BATT, B+, etc are located near the ecu. Uses Fuel Pump relay for pump speed control. Slightly harder than Soarer to wire up, but much easier than Crown

Whilst you can interchange the harness between different engines some differences do occur. Oil level gauge sender on LS400 and Celsior models are on the right hand side at the front (behind the power steering pump)whilst the gauge sender on SC400’s is in the centre of the engine on the left hand side (behind the air conditioning compressor).

Compression Ratio:
1989-1994 10.1:1
1995-1996 10.4:1
1997+ 10.5:1

Power output:
The Crown puts out less power (around 10-15hp less) than the SC400 or LS400 partly because of the restrictive exhausts.

ECU:
Crown UZS131 - has two modules the ECU runs the engine and the ECT runs the transmission. The ECU is happy to run without the ECT
Crown UZS 141 & UZS151, Soarer/SC400, Celsior/LS400, Aristo – has single combined ECU/ECT
Note that ECUs are not interchangable between models.

Exhaust:
All models have different, but nonetheless inefficient headers/manifolds. Cats mount in different locations as well.
pre-VVTi (1997?) Crown - by far the smallest least efficient setup. Good if room is tight.
Soarer/SC400 – Stainless steel welded type
Celsior/LS400 - neat “LOG” style headers that should fit in some tight places.
VVTi (1997+?) Crown - Large cast headers, the best of the bunch.

Air conditioning compressors:
Front sump engines use a shorter compressor to clear the dipstick tube. frontsump aircon compressor
Mid and rear sump use longer compressor. midsump aircon compressor

Original Article by: Rod Garnett (Zuffen)

LS400 – has viscous fan driven from an idler above the crank pulley
Celsior - has hydraulic fan driven by a pump

Wiring Harness:

UZS131 - Has separate Engine and ECT ECU's. Wiring harness is fairly intergrated into chassis wiring harness. Uses Fuel Pump relay for pump speed control. By far the hardest to wire up.
Celsior - Simple 1 piece harness. M-REL, BATT, B+, etc are located near the ecu. Uses Fuel Pump relay for pump speed control. Slightly harder than Soarer to wire up, but much easier than Crown.
Soarer - Simple 1 piece harness. M-REL, BATT, B+, etc are located near the battery. Requires Fuel Pump ECU for proper pump control. Easiest to wire up.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:01 PM

Some more GREAT information:
From here: http://www.v-eight.com/tech_forum/vi...hp?f=62&t=1574

1UZ-FE

The 4.0 L (3,968 cc/242.1 cu in) all-alloy 1UZ-FE debuted in 1989 in the first generation Lexus LS 400/Toyota Celsior and the engine was progressively released across a number of other models in the Toyota/Lexus range. The engine is oversquare by design, with a bore size of 87.5 mm (3.44 in) and stroke of 82.5 mm (3.25 in).[1] It has proved to be a strong, reliable and smooth powerplant with features such as 6-bolt main bearings and belt-driven quad-camshafts. The water pump is also driven by the cam belt. The connecting rods and crankshaft are constructed of steel. The pistons are hypereutectic.

Its resemblance to a race engine platform (6 bolt cross mains and over square configuration) was confirmed in 2007 by David Currier (in an interview with v-eight.com), vice president of TRD USA, stating that the 1UZ platform was based on CART/IRL engine design. It was planned to be used on GT500 vehicles, however its subsequent use in the Daytona Prototype use was not planned.

In its standard, original trim with 10:1 compression, power output is 191 kW (256 hp), torque of 353 N·m (260 ft·lbf).[1]
1UZ-FE

The engine was slightly revised in 1995 with lighter connecting rods and pistons and an increased compression ratio to 10.4:1 resulting in peak power of 195 kW (261 hp) and torque of 363 N·m (268 lb·ft).

In 1997, Toyota's VVT-i variable valve timing technology was introduced along with a further CR increase to 10.5:1,[1] bumping power and torque to 216 kW (290 hp) and 407 N·m (300 ft·lbf). In the GS400 application, output was rated at 300 hp and 310 ft-lb of torque.

The 1UZ-FE was voted to the Ward's 10 Best Engines list for 1998 through 2000.[2][3][4]

Applications:[5]

* 1989–2000 Lexus LS 400/Toyota Celsior
* 1990–2002 Toyota Crown/Toyota Crown Majesta
* 1991–2000 Lexus SC 400/Toyota Soarer
* 1992–2000 Lexus GS 400/Toyota Aristo
* Toyota MR2 Le Mans Car
Old 01-18-2013, 07:10 PM

From further research and the limited adapters out there for the 1UZ to manual gearboxes, it seems the R150/1 is the best choice.

Final Gear is .836

Bell housing adapter can be found here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1uz-1uzfe-to...ad0376&vxp=mtr
Old 01-18-2013, 07:12 PM

From further research and the limited adapters out there for the 1UZ to manual gearboxes, it seems the R150/1 is the best choice.

The only other feasible option would be the w58 (.783 fifth), but not sure about about adapting the yota transfer cases.

Final Gear is .836

Bell housing adapter can be found here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1uz-1uzfe-to...ad0376&vxp=mtr

Here is an instruction set that may be of good use (purchase necessary): http://thecartunecompany.co.nz/osc/p...products_id=55
Here are some tranny options (bellhousings):http://thecartunecompany.co.nz/osc/p...products_id=56

Last edited by live4soccer7; 01-18-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:44 PM

Appears the best options for what is available for "easiest adaptability" would be these transmissions. Adaptability as far as tranny to engine and tranny to the RF1A gear driven toyota transfer cases. This is settle and will now work on the best options including years to get them from. I will post up more info as I find it. I know a lot of this information is out there, but I'm trying to put it all in 1 place so that anyone else who wants to do this can go through all the same considerations.

Information on the R series transmission, from wikipedia:

R150

A 2WD transmission found in many Toyota trucks. It came with two input shaft lengths pre- 1996 and 1996 and up.

Ratios:

First Gear: 3.830:1
Second Gear: 2.062:1
Third Gear: 1.436:1
Fourth Gear: 1.00:1
Fifth Gear: 0.838:1

R150F

A 4WD transmission found in many Toyota trucks. Land Cruiser II, Land Cruiser Prado and Hilux Surf (1989-1993) 2L-T series and 1KZ series Turbo Diesel, V6 3VZE and 5VZ-FE ] (also Japan, UK and Europe 1KZ/TE 4Runners, 93-95)

Ratios:

First Gear: 3.830:1
Second Gear: 2.062:1
Fifth Gear: 0.838:1

R151F

A 4WD transmission found in only two model years of Toyota trucks(not available in 4runners). [Turbo 22-RTE 1986 and 1987] Also 1KZ-TE Prado Landcruiser 9?-96. (also in 1KZ/T Hilux Surfs 93-95)

Ratios:

First Gear: 4.313:1
Second Gear: 2.330:1
Fifth Gear: 0.836:1

Adapter Kits for tranny to RF1A gear driven tcases:
http://www.marlincrawler.com/transfe...v6-drivetrains
http://www.marlincrawler.com/transfe...v6-drivetrains

Last edited by live4soccer7; 01-18-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:11 PM

Some more useful information on differences between the R15xx transmissions. From another forum: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6759.0

As for the differences,
The bellhousings are different. R150F uses a bellhousing for a VZ-family engine and the R151F usea a bellhousing for a R-family engine and it has a hole at the bottom with a rubber plug, the R150F's bellhousing does not.
The tail housings are different. R150F uses a tailhousing with a boltpattern for the VF1A chain drive t/case and the R151F is for the RF1A chain drive t/case.
The shifter socket, selector, and selector shafts are also different between the two.
The output shafts are the same.
1st gear is different. R150F uses a 3.83:1 first and the R151F uses a 4.31:1 first gear.

'F' denotes 4WD in the R-series transmissions....

R150F = 4WD 3.0l 3VZ-FE & 3.4l 5VZ-FE V6
R150 = 2WD 3.0l 3VZ-FE & 3.4l 5VZ-FE V6

R151F = 4WD 2.4l Turbo 22R-TE
R151 = 2WD 2.4l Turbo 22R-TE
Old 01-19-2013, 12:14 AM

Can anyone confirm that there are two different length input shafts on the R150F transmission?

I have read that there is a longer input shaft on them after around 94-96, perhaps about 1". If anyone has any info on this it would help tremendously.

I have searched, but have not come up with any answers yet.

Edit: Advance Adapters lists the R150F from 88-95. These are the years that the 3VZ series engine was produced (according to wiki). Then the 5VZ-FE started in 95 and went to 04.

You can check the years here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_VZ_engine#5VZ-FE

I would assume that the difference in the input shaft length would be between the 5vz and 3vz engine. The next question is, what is the difference in length?

From ORS:

"If your vehicle has a 3.0L engine your transmission and bell housing can be used behind the 3.4L. The R150 (manual) transmission is nearly identical to the unit placed behind a 5VZ-FE from the factory (also an R150). The only external difference between the older and newer R150 is the length of the input shaft, the depth of the bell housing, and the bolt pattern on the rear (4x4 models). The later (3.4L) version uses a longer input shaft and deeper bell housing. The newer version also uses a driver side output transfer case with a different bolt pattern. This makes it easier and more economical to use the older R150 from a 3.0L application. The use of a 3.4L pressure plate, disc, and pilot bearing allow this transmission to bolt into the truck without modification. These parts can be found in our Full Conversion Kit. "

It still doesn't give the length difference but confirms there is one. The transfer case output is irrelevant since there are adapter plates that will allow the gear driven cases to be added.

Last edited by live4soccer7; 01-19-2013 at 12:35 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:50 AM

Couldn't resist this information regarding transmissions, all found at: http://www.uzswap.com/forum/index.php?topic=298.5;wap2

adrenalinejunkie4ever:
ok update, my gramps has 2 1st gen trucks, a 79 and a 82, the 79 is in a garage sitting collecting age but not miles... someday maybe 20 years from now it will re-enter the world as a low mile beauty the other is one of his play trucks, he is going to take some meausurements for me to compare for sizes between the newer trucks and to see how a 1uz will fit the 5vz is in a rollover and will not be finding a home in my truck, i dont see the point it settling for somehting im not fully interested in so.. my options have opened up a bit, there is a wider area for me to get a ls400 on auction then i thought, there is a 98 gs400 on auction and the thought crossed my mind today to get it next week and try it out, but i dont want to tackle the vvti obd2 hurdle untill i have done at least one obd1 1uz.. does anyone know for sure the imput shaft lenght of the r150 trans, i cant remember if it is 190mm or shorter like the other 4x4 trans, wich i believe was 160mm.. the auto bellhousing from the ls400 is 155mm if i have found the right number online, does anyone know? if it is there is a 30mm adapter that i can get machined that will work, when i find out how much it will cost to have machined, if it will work out i will post it on here and find out if someone might want me to have more made.... i wish i was home now to start this project!!

adrenalinejunkie4ever:
Engine Swap Bellhousings
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Jeep/Dodge AX15 5-speed, the Jeep NV3550 5-speed, the Toyota R150F & R151F, the 87-92 Toyota Supra Turbo R154, the Isuzu AR5 and the Chevy Colorado\ GMC Canyon MA5 5-speeds all share the same case to bellhousing bolt pattern. As such there are a number of possibilities that can be had when a 5-speed is desired:

Pic 1 #1. Novak Enterprises: Adapter plate for AX15 to GM 4-speed bellhousing. Connects all except NV3550 to same.

#2. 94-95 Dakota 2.5L bellhousing: Connects all to any K car based 2.2L-2.5L L4 in a RWD application.

#3. 96-00 Dakota 2.5L bellhousing: Connects all to any Jeep 2.5L L4. Because of it's GM 60 degree V6 inherited bolt pattern, also works with any Buick FWD V6 and supercharged V6, any Chevrolet 2.8/3.1/3.4 V6, any Cadillac 4.1/4.5/4.9 V8 and with a minor modification, any Olds Aurora DOHC V8 and Cadillac DOHC Northstar V8. Also bolts to any Isuzu 3.2\3.5 DOHC V6.

#4. 88-99 Jeep 4.0L L6 bellhousing: Connects all to any AMC 290/304/343/360/390/401 V8 and any 72 and later 232 L6 and 258 L6.

#5. 94-99 Dakota 3.9L V6 Bellhousing: Connects all to any 3.9L V6 and any 273/318/340/360 V8.

#6. 96-04 Toyota Tacoma 3.4L V6.

#7. 86.5-92 Toyota Supra Turbo 7M-GTE

Not shown:

01-03 Jeep Liberty 3.7L V6 bellhousing: Connects all to any 3.7L V6, 4.7L V8 and 5.7L Hemi V8.

Isuzu Trooper 3.5 V6 AR5 bellhousing: Connects all to any Isuzu 3.2\3.5 V6

04 Chevy Colorado\ GMC Canyon MA5 bellhousing: Connects all to any 2.8L L4, 3.5L L5 and 4.2L L6

Aftermarket:

Advance Adapters: Bellhousing for AX15 to Chevrolet-Buick-Olds-Pontiac V8 and Buick V6. Connects all except NV3550 to same.

Advance Adapters: Bellhousing for NV3550 to Chevrolet-Buick-Olds-Pontiac V8 and Buick V6.

Advance Adapters: Adapter plate for AX15 to Ford bellhousing. Connects all except NV3550 to same.

Advance Adapters: Adapter plate for NV3550 to Ford bellhousing.

Swift Machine: Adapter plate for NV3550 to GM 4-speed bellhousing.

Suzuki Only Supply: Adapter plate to bolt R series to Suzuki 1.3\1.6.

Further info: Jeep AX5, Toyota G52, G58, W55, W56, W57 and W58 5-speeds all share a common face pattern on the case. As such, any 88-99 Jeep 2.5L bellhousing (NOT Dakota) will bolt a Toyota W series transmission to a 60 degree GM bolt pattern.

Aftermarket: Advance Adapters makes a bellhousing to bolt a W series Toyota trans to a Chevy-Buick-Olds-Pontiac block.

Northwest Off Road: Bellhousing to bolt W series to Ford 5.0.

Suzuki Only Supply: Adapter plate to bolt W series to Suzuki 1.3\1.6.

NOTE: Input shafts lengths vary.

Pre 1995 R150\R151 = 6.5"
1996 up Toyota R series = 7.5"
AX15 = 7.875"
87-92 Turbo Supra R154 = 7.25"
AR5 = 8.2"
MA5 = 8.2"
NV3550 = 7.875"
NV1500 = 8.6"
AX5 = 7.5"
Toyota W series = 6.5"
Toyota G series = 6.5"
Suzuki AG5 = ?

Pic 2 Advance Adapters makes an extra long pilot bearing when using a shorter input shaft tranny with a bellhousing that had a longer one. Obviously you can't put the longer input trans into a bell that had a shorter one.

Pic 3 Front bearing covers are interchangeable between the Toyota R series, AX15, MA5 and AR5. NV3550, AX5 and W series are not interchangeable.

So... there's no shortage of parts for these gearboxes. Any good shop can rebuild them and they are still not that expensive.

GregOne of the offshoots of this is the ability to swap an AX5 behind a Jeep 2.5L with a heavier duty AX15 by using the 96-00 Dodge Dakota 2.5L bellhousing.One of the offshoots of this is the ability to swap an AX5 behind a Jeep 2.5L with a heavier duty AX15 by using the 96-00 Dodge Dakota 2.5L bellhousing.If your Jeep (or car) has a Ford pattern T5 and you'd like to swap in any engine with the GM 60 degree bolt pattern, then either the 94-95 S10 2.2L bellhousing or the mid-eighties Jeep 2.5L bell might be what you want (NOT the Iron Duke one). The one you use depends on which side the starter is on...It should be pointed out that the pre '96 R150F and R151F input shafts are far too short to be used in the AX15 bellhousings. (Even with the Advanced Adapters pilot bushing) The R154 input shaft is longer, and, with the proper spacing and AA bushing CAN be used in the AX15 bellhousings with no mods.

Some further information from Marlin "Crawler" Czajkowski on the Toyota R series and the AX15. It is possible to swap the longer AX15 input shaft into the pre '96 R150F/R151F.

This info does NOT apply to the NV3550.

"Parts are interchangeable between these trannys. Inputs, output shafts, front nose cone, and rear housing are different but generally can be interchanged if you stay with in the family.

There are three "R" families;

86-91 early, simple, common, heavy design

92-95 upgraded syncrows, hubs, shift rods and linkage, smaller bearings, lighter gears

96-newer greater helix angles, upgraded syncrows, lighter bolts, reverse brake

The Jeep 86-00' AX15 would use the same bearings, syncrows, and gears within the same family as the Toyota boxes. I am not sure of the Isuzu production years, but would also be the same.

Remember that only the 86-87' 4x4 R151F 22R Turbo got the 4.31 1st gear. 2x4 22R Turbos, got the 3.83 1st, along with all other 4x4 R transmissions --- Toyota 3.0, 3.4 V6, Jeeps, and Isuzu's.

The lowest geared R is the 5.15 1st gear found in the R452 imported trans which also uses the same bearings, and syncrows.

The Jeep AX15 has a 10 spline American style input with a 5/8" pilot. I am currently converting a Jeep AX5 to a Toyota t-case

I have never had to opportunity to upgrade an AX15. This can be done but only to a 86-91 AX15. The longer coarse spline input and Jeep nose cone will swap right in. The AX15 bellhousing will also bolt up to the front of the R151F since both front housings are the same!

I send both Toyota and Jeep shafts to my drive line shop and have them put together."

Marlin
http://www.marlincrawler.com/For those Jeep gents that have broken AX5's laying around, Don't ditch the bellhousing. It may be used in a Toyota application and can bolt up any GM 60 degree engine (3.4/3.1/2.8 Chevy V6, Buick 3800 V6, Isuzu 3.2/3.5 V6, etc....) to the Toyota G series and W series tranismissions.

Pic 1 is a Toyota W58 out of a Supra hooked up to an AX5 bellhousing.

Pic 2 shows the AX5 bell planted up to a Chevy Camaro 3.4L V6.

Pic 3 For this to work with the AX5 bell, you'd need the thick (heavy) flywheel from a Camaro/Firebird. It places the clutch disk back far enough to completely engage the splines on the short W/G series input shaft. That's got to be at least 1 3/4" from the back of the block to the front face of the flywheel. The S10 flywheel is shorter and won't work.

Pic 4 is a bellhousing also with the GM 60 degree pattern from the 96-00 Dodge Dakota 2.5L hooked up nicely to an R154 5-speed out 87-92 Toyota Turbo Supra.

The photo of the set up below was a method of getting a free beer from Randy Burleson at www.4x4wire.com. The Isuzu DOHC 3.2\3.5L V6 has a dual bolt pattern on the back of the block. The outside pattern is strictly Isuzu, however, the inside pattern is the GM 60 degree. I can only presume it's there to fit up GM automatic tranny's in Troopers. So.. to prove this beyond doubt to Randy, there we have it. That's a twin cam 3.5L Isuzu V6 bolted (for the most part) up to a T5 out of a 95 2.2L S10 Chevy pickup. The bellhousing has the Ford T5 pattern on the case side and the GM 60 degree pattern on the engine side. I'd have put more bolts in the holes but I couldn't find any more at the yard. And yes... it is sitting in the back seat of a Trooper. Don't ask how it got there..... I like Fosters Randy....

Greg
The 93 and earlier S10 2.8L V6 bellhousings can be used to bolt up GM pattern T5's and the SM420 to the 60 Degree bolt pattern. Some have starter pockets on both sides. Camaro 2.8/3.4L V6 and 3800 V6 bells have the tranny tilted at an angle (Ford and GM pattern) and may not be suitable for your application...

GregI can't leave this topic without mentioning the late 70's, early 80's Jeep 151 4 cylinder CJ bellhousing. Since this was the GM Iron Duke engine that Jeep used, the bell has the Cheverolet V8 bolt pattern on the engine side and the Ford T5 pattern on the other. (Originally used with the Jeep T4). So, if ever you're asked how to hook up a Chevy Small Block to a Mustang T5, this is how you start.

Also, the question was asked (on another board) if the AX15 could be hooked up to Toyota transfer cases for crawling. According to Marlin, that's a go..

"I have put a Marlin dual case behind a AX5 [G54/58 Toyota] Jeep trans by changing the output shaft and tailhousing from a Toyota doner trans.

This can also be done to a AX15 [R150 Toyota].

The Jeep auto should also work as long as the output shaft and rear housing is changed from a Toyota trans.

In the past years, I used to get a lot of calls from Jeep owners wanting to go slow like the Toy trucks. Since I was so busy, I directed the calls to Mepco and Klune V.

Marlin"

2000 TJ NV3550 will bolt up to a 4.2 with no bellhousing mods (it wasn't listed) and you dont' need any adaptors.
The NV3550 is a pretty robust gearbox. Much more capable than the AX15 that it replaces. It shares all of its mounting points with the AX15 but, as far as I'm aware, shares no parts with it. So, any application that has an AX15, can take an NV3550 with no problems. Although the front case bolt pattern is identical between all of them (Toyota R, AX15, MA5, AR5, NV3550), the NV3550 has a unique front bearing retainer and shape. It may not be capatable with some aftermarket adapter plates.

adrenalinejunkie4ever:
i had that saved in a file and i just found it, i think i got it from pirate? i dont remember, but anyway i have been thinking about the trans.. from what i have been able to find the a340 bell is 155mm and the input shaft of the pre 95 r150f is 160mm, 96 and later being 190mm, the imput gear cannot be interchanged between the 2 from what i have been able to find, but the same generation transmissions like the ax15 imput could be swapped in, wich would give me the longer imput and alow me to use a 30mm adapter from the bell to the r150f, but i would have to get the shaft machined down from the .75 inch pilot to the toyota size, not a really big deal.. but its more things to do.. so here is what i have come up with.. let me know what you think!

take the 155mm a340 bell, mill it down 3.5mm on each flange surface, wich will give me 12 mm totall, then countersink the blot heads on the adapter halfway and matching countersinks for the other half in the bell, wich would spread the load off of the single set of bolts and onto both sets as far as centering etc.. if i make the adapter from 1mm steel and use an AA raised pilot bearing to make up the extra 3mm it should all work out.. at least it has in my head so far.. wish someone was on here to talk to! well let me knwo your thoughts, and if you think im crazy thats fine 2 lol

I think I found the original thread for the above information: http://www.zukikrawlers.com/showthread.php?t=49450

And more info to add: http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/showthread.php?t=4740

Last edited by live4soccer7; 01-19-2013 at 01:29 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:57 AM

Is anyone familiar with the AR5/MA5 Transmissions? They are suppose to be based off the R154, but were installed in trucks.

2004 to 2008– Chevrolet Colorado
2004 to 2008– GMC Canyon
2006 to 2010– Pontiac Solstice
2007 to 2010– Saturn Sky
2007– Hummer H3
1998– 2002– Isuzu Trooper

I'm not sure if it would be possible to bolt up a toyota RF1A gear drive transfer case to an MA5 or AR5 from one of those models. I would imagine it is a pretty stout trannny and it has the same bell housing bolt pattern as the R series transmissions, so you can use the adapter from KS racing on ebay. They also have a similar length on the input shaft as well.

AR5 = 8.2"
MA5 = 7.5"

Based from the information provided from the original source these are the input shaft measurements. I have not idea on spline counts or diameters.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:08 AM

Input shaft lengths from another source:

AX5 = 7.5"
AX15 = 7.875"
Pre 1995 R150\R151 = 6.5"
1996 up Toyota R series = 7.5"
87-92 Turbo Supra R154 = 7.25"
Toyota W series = 6.5"
Toyota G series = 6.5"
AR5 = 8.2"
MA5 = 8.2"