Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

350 in a 200r4. Some questions..

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
350 in a 200r4. Some questions..

First off let me introduce myself.. My name is shawn, and im building a 95 toyota 2wd pickup. I know most of this site is based around 4x4's, However, i figured you guys might be able to help me out, since i noticed theres alot of talk about motor swaps on this site.

I fabbed up my own motor mounts, built a transmission crossmember, The motor and tranny are in place. Its a 4 bolt 350/200r4. I am going to be running a carb setup on it. The engine is stock. It's a goodwrench crate motor. GM rates it at 190/300 i believe. First question is.. Will the 2wd rear Handle the torque? And if not, i know the 4x4 rear will, But do the 2wd, and 4wd housings have interchangable axles? Reason i ask, is because The rims on my truck are almost $600 a piece, And i bought them when i was keeping the stock 22re. Didnt anticipate on swapping at the time. But after building my chassis, and realizing how ugly the stock engine/emissions setup looks in the enigne bay with all the wires and vaccuum hoses, i decided to go with a simpler setup. And i really dont want to have to change rims, and run a 6 lug in back and a 5 lug in front.

2nd question is.. Wiring wise, what am i looking at here? I know the carbed smallblock wont require alot of wiring to run, But What about my cluster, my steering column, lights, etc.. Should i just cut the stock harness up and use just the light circuits and whatnot? Or is there a kit out there i can get for the harness? I thought of going with a painless setup, But right now im just weighing my options. I want to go with the easiest/cleanest possible setup.

and 3rd.. How feasable is it to get my stock cluster to work with the carbed engine? My cluster has an electronic speedo, But my transmission has a cable drive for a mechanical speedo. i know that some of the earlier 89-95 trucks had mechanical speedos. So that solves that problem, But im just worried about the tach, and whatever other gauges are on it. Worst comes to worst, I could make a dash bezel, and run autometer gauges, But for now i just wanted to get the stock dash and cluster back in.

Any help you guys could give me would be great. Thanks.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:04 AM
Banned fruitloop

swap

Originally Posted by laidout95
First off let me introduce myself.. My name is shawn, and im building a 95 toyota 2wd pickup. I know most of this site is based around 4x4's, However, i figured you guys might be able to help me out, since i noticed theres alot of talk about motor swaps on this site.

I fabbed up my own motor mounts, built a transmission crossmember, The motor and tranny are in place. Its a 4 bolt 350/200r4. I am going to be running a carb setup on it. The engine is stock. It's a goodwrench crate motor. GM rates it at 190/300 i believe. First question is.. Will the 2wd rear Handle the torque? And if not, i know the 4x4 rear will, But do the 2wd, and 4wd housings have interchangable axles? Reason i ask, is because The rims on my truck are almost $600 a piece, And i bought them when i was keeping the stock 22re. Didnt anticipate on swapping at the time. But after building my chassis, and realizing how ugly the stock engine/emissions setup looks in the enigne bay with all the wires and vaccuum hoses, i decided to go with a simpler setup. And i really dont want to have to change rims, and run a 6 lug in back and a 5 lug in front.

2nd question is.. Wiring wise, what am i looking at here? I know the carbed smallblock wont require alot of wiring to run, But What about my cluster, my steering column, lights, etc.. Should i just cut the stock harness up and use just the light circuits and whatnot? Or is there a kit out there i can get for the harness? I thought of going with a painless setup, But right now im just weighing my options. I want to go with the easiest/cleanest possible setup.

and 3rd.. How feasable is it to get my stock cluster to work with the carbed engine? My cluster has an electronic speedo, But my transmission has a cable drive for a mechanical speedo. i know that some of the earlier 89-95 trucks had mechanical speedos. So that solves that problem, But im just worried about the tach, and whatever other gauges are on it. Worst comes to worst, I could make a dash bezel, and run autometer gauges, But for now i just wanted to get the stock dash and cluster back in.

Any help you guys could give me would be great. Thanks.

If your a leadfoot, no the axle will not work. I would change it anyway (the whole thing).

I would go with the stock harness, leave it all there. Buy an aftermarket tach, cause your 4 or 6 banger tach is not compatable. You can tap your motor for your temp guage, oil guage. You might just disconnect your computer (nothing is related to the guages). Otherwise wiring the swap is easy, being that the 350 is carb. As far as speedo, you can get an aftermarket speedo or maybe convert the tailshaft to the proper pulse and your electric will read it.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:10 PM

i don't know if they are the same width or if you want to spend the money to have it cut down to fit but you can use a chevy rearend out of a 4x4 half ton they are the same bolt pattern and you can use your wheels