Solid Axle Swaps, All Years Anything SAS related

SAS and excessive leaning

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAS and excessive leaning

I have a SAS'd 2nd gen 4Runner along with a rear leaf conversion. Everyday I get at least 2 people telling me my truck leans like crazy when I go around corners. Just wondering if any of you other guys with the same setup are having this issue. Is anyone running sway bars with this setup? if so how does it do? Could it be a shackle angle problem?
Old 06-26-2007, 07:16 PM
Contributing Member

People think mine is going to tip over. We are just top heavy with soft suspension....
Old 06-26-2007, 07:41 PM

Thats just the nature of the beats if you want soft flexy suspension. Sometimes I think my mirrors drag the pavement when I go around a corner too fast.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:57 PM

depends on your spring rate, shocks, height, etc. mine's a little tall, but with the springs i'm running it's actually pretty stable around corners... better than it was with IFS and no sway bars IMO.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:52 PM

mine leans alot around corners, although it was what I expected so what can I say the rears up front are soft
Old 06-26-2007, 09:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
my brothers leans to the passenger side just sitting there.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:24 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
mine is tippsy as hell with my rack.. i've taken my rack off for gas milage reasons and its much more stable. i've thought about running limiting straps to keep her belly side down.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:55 PM
ORS

That is very common, seems like most of the trucks that have good wheel travel and articulation also have quite a bit of body roll. It's just part of having a truck that works well off road; there will always be a trade off.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:38 PM

Thats kinda what I thought. It does not bother me, but what does is all of the people telling me that my truck leans around corners. I have a spool in the rear so when I have to turn into a parking spot my rear axle gets pulled out to one side a bit, which makes my truck lean. Has anyone installed sway bars on an SAS'd truck?
Old 06-28-2007, 03:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Mine works pretty good... I don't drive it aggressively on asphalt corners however.

When I did my road trip to Utah I put a shuttle box on top and that got down right spooky with crosswinds. Was like trying to drive a weeble-wobble at 65 miles per hour. I had to let off the gas many times just to keep things straight. I think I had about 65 lbs up top though...

YT'r "Rebelnoclu" has installed a sway bar in the rear of his leaf sprung 2nd Gen 4Runner. I think he is running 37's and has a full internal cage... so pretty heavy and high. Try to PM him if he doesn't post. I don't think he is on YT to much.

He says it works really well, can actually help flex off road. He wheels aggressively with a lot of experience... so would be a good brain to pick. I'll probably copy his setup when I get some more time and funds.

Or I might just chop the back windows/ roof off to save some weight.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:01 AM

Just put a sway bar on it like the ones from Currie Ent, The " Anti-Rock " and that should take care of your probelms.

I dont have one on my '05 Taco and I'm on coilovers. It doesn't bother me though because I didn't want a sports car.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:35 AM

I have been know to have my inside rear tire 6-8 inches off the ground, full throttle around a corner
My truck flexes over and then is stable again

(mount heavy things, high lift, spare, tools AS LOW AS POSSIBLE!!!!) = stability
Old 07-12-2007, 07:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put the stock rear sway bar back on a few months ago and it does wonders for the truck. I had to make a block to clear the cable locker assembly. The end links I have is from 4" pro-comp kit.
Before that, it was leaning a lot.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:09 AM
Contributing Member

I joke about dragging mirrors and about the slalom not being my favorite event... same here, lots of body roll. After a while you used to it and it seems normal.

People comment and I just tell them it is the cost of having that much flex. I run adjustable shocks, so I crank them up on road and that helps considerably, but I can't bring myself to put sway bars on.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would'nt use a rig with that much lift as a DD, at least not without a cage. Highway speed rollovers can wreck your whole day
Old 07-16-2007, 03:33 PM
ORS

Originally Posted by Kaleb
Thats kinda what I thought. It does not bother me, but what does is all of the people telling me that my truck leans around corners. I have a spool in the rear so when I have to turn into a parking spot my rear axle gets pulled out to one side a bit, which makes my truck lean. Has anyone installed sway bars on an SAS'd truck?

Yeah, didn't notice you said "spool". That probably contributes a large amount to the lean. It puts so much side-side load into the rear end on pavement, it's like having axle-wrap sideways. Hope you get the sway bar thing worked out, good luck!
Old 07-16-2007, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by ORS
Yeah, didn't notice you said "spool". That probably contributes a large amount to the lean. It puts so much side-side load into the rear end on pavement, it's like having axle-wrap sideways. Hope you get the sway bar thing worked out, good luck!
The spool only makes a difference in low speed situations where I must turn. Like turning into a parking spot. I installed the spool after I SAS'd my rig. It has made no difference in the lean other then parking. As for the sway bar, I am just going to let it be as it does not really bother me.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:27 AM
Contributing Member

Something to get used to.
When I go around corners in town, sometimes I'll cut it a little tighter. People in front of me start opening their eyes real big, thinking its going to roll towards them. Lots o fun.

With as much flex as I get on the trail, its fun to get nearly this amount of flex on the road in a turn.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:46 AM

have the same thing with my 84 runner...just one of the costs of dd a flexy rig. its fun to get in front of someone on the way to a trail who has never been wheeling with us before and see what he says over the cb on the logging roads to the trail. i dont drive it like a sports car, but more often than not he'll get on the squawk box and warn me that it looks like im gonna fall over...then we hit the trail and everything works great and he sees why the suspension is as soft as it is. all in all, dont worry about it.

oh yeah, you ever try to pull into a parking spot, back up three feet while your straight, then pull in again? might help unload the rear spool/suspension.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:17 AM
Contributing Member

You outta see mine on 37s with a 2" body lift!! I swerve all over the road. People usually steer clear. Going over the passes on Hwy 4 and Hwy 88 up here in the Sierras are sporty!!

Quick Reply: SAS and excessive leaning