Solid Axle Swaps, All Years Anything SAS related

Planning a SAS on my 06 Taco

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveO
wow, I'm surprised nobody has pointed you to some people on this board who have done these swaps.
Thanks SteveO that was some help.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:46 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FMWHLR
Yeah that would be nice. I could get a full set of 1 ton gear for that price. This thing is going to be more of a capable trail rig then a rock crawler.
You don't need a SAS then. Spend the money on lockers and armor - that will get you MUCH farther down the trail than a SAS will.

Do you REALLY want to take a truck you're likely still making payments on on trails where a SAS is REQUIRED and body damage is probable?

Originally Posted by justinh
Just an FYI, virtually all of this information for you is bad for swapping a new Tacoma. You really need to talk to Demello or to Silly Fab, Demello has completed swaps on a new Taco and a new FJCruiser and SillyFab has done a swap on a new FjCruiser and is about to do two new tacomas. SillyFab sounds like the place that is more up your alley, he used a Ford HP44 front axle on his First FJC.

The Waggy axles and Early Bronco axles are WAY too narrow for your application. I think the custom diamond that went into the FJC Demello built was around 66" WMS.
x2
Old 09-24-2007, 01:58 PM

My plan is to build wheel a couple times and $ell .I already have a first gen to beat on. and IFS does get the job done but cant handle 36's with a locker without carnage.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
why would you build then sell??? you will only get a bit more than you paid I bet if any gain at all. thats not the best idea to make any kind of money. I would sell it now if thats your plan your gonna lose alot of value the day that truck hits a trail aspecialy how big it is.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:33 PM

This thing hits the trails all the time. I also got a good deal on the truck in the first place oh and it's my business rig, and we all know there are people out there that will pay good money for a truck they can't build. I really need a bigger truck like a 1ton.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
they may pay good money but the time and money you spend on it you cant get back. now since it sounds like you got a good deal you may get a good chunk back if not more. hell i bought a 98 chevy 1500 with 67K 1 owner and never towed for $1500 so ya ill make a proffit regardless. i would just sell it as is because the time and money it will take to sas it will youll never get back. why not just put it into your beater rig? i dont want to sound like an ass but sas then sell that just sounds kinda dumb and a waist IMO
Old 09-24-2007, 03:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FMWHLR
My plan is to build wheel a couple times and $ell .I already have a first gen to beat on. and IFS does get the job done but cant handle 36's with a locker without carnage.

If you plan on selling it, I wouldn't put any money into it. You will be lucky to get 10 cents on the dollar back. If you have a rig that you can beat on, get a trailer for it, build it up stronger, and use the Taco to trailer your rig to the trail. That way, if the beater takes a bad beating on the trail, at least you're gonna get home in your Taco.

OR, you could sell your beater, and your Taco and just buy mine.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:22 PM

I say go for it buddy. I'd love to see someone cut up a year old truck!
Old 09-25-2007, 06:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome! A budget swap on a late model rig using a Dana 44 with a passenger side 3rd member. What a sweet collection of bits!

Post some pics, sweet!
Old 09-28-2007, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by SteveO
If you plan on selling it, I wouldn't put any money into it. You will be lucky to get 10 cents on the dollar back. If you have a rig that you can beat on, get a trailer for it, build it up stronger, and use the Taco to trailer your rig to the trail. That way, if the beater takes a bad beating on the trail, at least you're gonna get home in your Taco.

OR, you could sell your beater, and your Taco and just buy mine.
Kinda OT but are you really trying to sell yours? I saw that you posted in a TTORA forsale thread too...
Old 09-28-2007, 10:33 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by justinh
Kinda OT but are you really trying to sell yours? I saw that you posted in a TTORA forsale thread too...
Anything is for sale for the right price.

Yeah, I know 10 cents on the dollar. But, from what I have read, there are even professionals who can't get coil-over SAS rigs to run straight. So, if somebody wanted a very capable rig that has proven itself on the highway and the trails, they gotta pay for it......

of course, if I sell my rig, I would have to let the Wheeling stuff go with it as well:

Extra set of 35" BFG/tires, CO2 tank, Pull Pall, hi-lift, etc...basically everything except my tools.

Last edited by SteveO; 09-28-2007 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by tc
You don't need a SAS then. Spend the money on lockers and armor - that will get you MUCH farther down the trail than a SAS will.

Do you REALLY want to take a truck you're likely still making payments on on trails where a SAS is REQUIRED and body damage is probable?

x2
I agree with this 100%, I agree with it even more if you don't plan to keep it. Some lift, 33's, locker, sliders, bumpers, that would be it. If you got a good deal on it, you will make more money selling it for current retail price than you will building it and selling it. Don't waste your time.