Solid Axle Swaps, All Years Anything SAS related

Alternatives to Toyota Front Axles for SAS's (rear options too...)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The greatest thing about Cruiser axles is they are more expensive, harder to find and the parts for them are spendier.

If you are going outside the box, you could use a 60 front, modify it for the other e-locker, and have a super expensive, exotic, outside the box front swap.

The 80 e-lockers get eaten up by the 80 guys.

If you want caddy, buy my front end. Diamond, ARB, HP, 30 spline, ARP's, etc.

If you want simple/strong, go mini with the upgrades.

If you want to reinvent the wheel and break the bank with comparable equipment, buy a 60 and monkey with it.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah.. I just need something simple/strong... so I'll most likely go mini truck for now... I really don't like the thought of spacers and 2" bs wheels though.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:47 PM
Contributing Member

Sweet!!! More expensive, hard to find, exotic... sounds like a set up for a joke involving paris hilton, thailand and a video camera.

Seriously, good, sensible advise regarding the mini axle.

I just picked up a mini truck front axle, which I don't know what to do with yet. I should probably build it first.

I've been looking at FJ- 40's again on top of having my pinky toe stuck in the rover world (yeah I know). I am getting sucked into that like quicksand.

I like to monkey though. sometimes outside the box results in great success I have no doubt in the mass of expertise and the undoubted strength and reliability of the toy mini, but I have to admit the exotic factor is appealing to me, must be a personality flaw
Old 02-20-2007, 07:52 PM

I did a toy axle for my SAS, but later swapped to a full width 60/14 setup.

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index...5494#msg255494
Old 02-20-2007, 11:33 PM
Contributing Member

I owned a 98 Amigo and loved it to death! Were it not for my becoming disabled and having it reposessed I'd still have it. IIRC, mine had 4.30 gears with the ABS on the ring gear and the front has individual wheel ABS. Here's a pic just for sh#ts and giggles-
I used to know all about Isuzu's- I even worked at an Isuzu dealership, but lots have slipped my mind now. It seems like the 4.77 gearing was mainly available in 4cyl. models. The Amigo had a lot of pep too. I know we're talking about axles, but for what it was- it did 0-60 in under 8 seconds!
Anyways, if the axle has a code....I'm thinking G80 it has a LSD, I believe it's a traclock- which isn't the best, but it got the job done. Honestly, I'd take my 'old amigo back over my 4Runner any day...blasphemy I know, I apologize. Then again-a 2nd gen. 4Runner and a 98 Amigo are apples and oranges really.

There's lots and lots of info for Isuzu's and their respective axles over at www.4x4wire.com that's where I learned most everything about them.

One other thing I wanted to point out that's on topic is the Isuzu 12-bolt rear end. They're almost dirt cheap, have disc brakes, a slight variety of wms and axle shaft differences and are as stout as a D60! Not to mention they have a drop-out style carrier like a yota for servicing and are available in both leaf sprung and coil design.

OK, I found a good page to list specs- go here for all the info you need.

Hopefully this may help somebody

~R