Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Tulsa, Ok. Chandler Park Run Sept. 18

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 11:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE]Hey Kyle, I might be able to go and I am looking forward to go. I am going to make a trip for about 2 weeks to Utah,Colorado and possibly Arizona in September. If I can get back on time, Hale you are more than welcome to ride with me!!! So don't be disappointed buddy!! [QUOTE]

sweet action man! i hope to see you soon. this is really gonna be a blast.

[QUOTE]Yes, you need an impact. Not 100% required but it makes the job 110% easier if you know what I mean. Those ring gears are sometimes REALLY hard to get off. I got some tricks though.
Never installed one on a 4Runner but I imagine the tool list is about the same as the trucks/Tacomas.
I can do it but am lacking an air compressor right now. Mine pretty much crapped out. I think I can borrow the "shops" but will have to check with my partner.
I'm pretty sure I have an impact. I haven't dug it out since we moved so I'll look tonight.
That locker even come in yet???
You'll need p/u gear oil, RTV silicone and a tube of grease.
It's also a good idea to have a couple extra ring gear bolts (stealer item most likely) around. That way, you can remove the 2 most marked (from the impact) ones and use em for allignment pins for the ring gear. That really makes reinstalling the ring gear alot easier. I have some but again, haven't dug em out lately and willl have to look for em.

As far as where to install, I'll have to clear a day with the wife to be able to do it at my house. I have my oldest daughters room boxed up and in the garage right now. We've been prepping her walls for painting and that won't be finished till probably the weekend after the run. It's doable though.

So, what's the scoop?

BTW: Now that you'll be lok't, we need to fab you a bumper and some sliderz![QUOTE]

Yes yes. p/u gear oil is regular diff oil right?? RTV silicone?? buy at store, it says rtv? thats for what, the seals? ring gear bolts ? go to the dealer and ask for that specifically?

okie dokie, that would be so rad if we could get the stuff installed by the 18th. The locker should be here TODAY! but hasnt yet shown up and its 2 45. My cb is awesome. I mounted today in the cab, and it looks sweet. I am ready for some wheeling...and sliders and bumper?! your tellin me bud! but i think i need the sliderz first.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Kyle, what kind of CB did you get, I am looking for one at this moment too!! Thansk
Old 08-25-2004, 12:43 PM
Contributing Member

ohhhh yea!! locker just got here! freakin sweeeet.

Ranma, I just bought a Uniden pc68xl. its got everything but weather and sideband. i figured i didnt need weather or to talk to anyone in australia, although cool. The uniden 538 is a great deal. it has 3 weather channels and pa, just smaller. bought the coax, 18ft worked absolutely perfect, pm me your email and i will send you pictures, spring and antenna from the truck stop. ended up buying the radio at walmart.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:15 PM

Ranma: My best wheelin' bud ran a set till we SAS'd his rig. Now he's sendin' em off to SAW for a rebuild. When they get back, there mine. That's why I inquireed as to how well you liked em. Glad to hear you like em as I've been really lookin' forward to gettin' em.

Fever: I'll chat up the wife about doin' the install at the house and let you know something. Just remember to post here when it arrives. RTV is just silicone. Most peeps know what you mean just by "RTV". Other say it all while still others say just "silicone". The RTV stands for Room Temperature Vulcanizing. Vulcanizing (in case your wondering) means to dry or harden. It just means it dries at atmospheric conditions (temp/humidity). Get ya a tube of that blue/red/ or grey high heat RTV silicone. Don't really need the high temp stuff but you won't believe how much hotter your carriers goina be with a locker in it. Won't hurt.

This Saturday I think I'll be in Beggs, OK again helpin' fab a crossmenber and front drive shaft for the SAS'd rig.

I got a few picks from last Saturdays wrenchin'. Looks like we now have a female wheeler to tag along.

Last edited by SloPoke; 08-25-2004 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SloPoke
I got a few picks from last Saturdays wrenchin'. Looks like we now have a female member when we release the new club.
Club? What club? I musta missed something....
Old 08-25-2004, 01:33 PM
Contributing Member

Hey KYLE
Stop doin' mods to your truck until after Feb of next year, then everything that you do to yours we can do to mine. It'll make things easier, fabbing in pairs.... haha. Or just make two and I'll come up with the money later. Just gotta pay for the wedding first.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:40 PM
Contributing Member

wait for you johnny boy! your crazy!! my mods are goin on like a blonde in a hair salon. anyways, Ched...we must have posted at the same time. My locker came in today. its here, ready to go, ready to play. chow
Old 08-25-2004, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Injohneer
Club? What club? I musta missed something....
More on that later.

LOCKERS HERE

Bet that's drivin' FEVER nuts! Being in the box and all.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:16 PM
Contributing Member

John no club for you! You have a fiance that needs your attention. I on the other hand am single. lol so i can join.

yea ched it isnt too bad. i just wanna get it installed to really see how much difference it really makes.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by outdoorfever
ohhhh yea!! locker just got here! freakin sweeeet.

Ranma, I just bought a Uniden pc68xl. its got everything but weather and sideband. i figured i didnt need weather or to talk to anyone in australia, although cool. The uniden 538 is a great deal. it has 3 weather channels and pa, just smaller. bought the coax, 18ft worked absolutely perfect, pm me your email and i will send you pictures, spring and antenna from the truck stop. ended up buying the radio at walmart.
I appreciate that Kyle, I saw your picture at 4wdtrips.net already!! Looks cool!! I am still deciding, I found the ham radio to be interesting!!
Old 08-25-2004, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by r0cky
i wonder if there might be room for a texan to join in on this?

You bet! What you need to know to meet up with us?? The QuickTrip's (meeting place) physical addy?
Old 08-25-2004, 07:22 PM
Banned

i can pretty much find it, i think, it'll just depend on what kind of work i have to do around then as to whether i'll be able to come or not ... i should know pretty soon here.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:34 PM
Contributing Member

geez holy crap! i have a huge smile on my face!! this is too awesome! this is becoming a big thing.

Hey ched, as many ppl that wanna come to chandler, we should see how many ppl would drive for a trip for disney. People on here would chew that up.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by r0cky
i wonder if there might be room for a texan to join in on this?
Hey Rocky, you should join for this run, may be we can have Todd& Jacque to join us too
Old 08-26-2004, 06:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by outdoorfever
1990 white sr5, body filler, 143,008 miles, Yakima rack, Wet Okole flower seat covers, 31x10.50's Yokohama AT's, All Pro 2 inch rear coils, ARB Bumper!!! Panasonic head seat, Alpine speakers, K&N drop in air filter, 18% tint, one HOT driver, no girl friend
ADD YOUR CB
Old 08-26-2004, 06:08 PM

YotaTech Oklahoma Wrench-a-thon (LockRite install)

Alrighty then. How about this Sunday??? at 9am??? I know most you peeps go to church that day but it's pretty much goina be my only full day I can offer up before the run.

I coulnd't find the impact but I think I'll be able to come up with it by Sunday. I think it's somewheres else. Last I remember my buddy grabbed it to do the struts on his wifes neon. Anyways...Meet up at my house Sunday morn' and start in on it??? The wife and kids will probably be sleepin' so we'll just start right in on it. Howz dat?

Hard to make a tool list as I've never tore into a runna before but I just went and peaked under there and it seems that there's a bit more to it than the trucks or Tacomas. Not much more though...

First thing I saw was the damn sway bar. That's either gotta get diconected or be removed. Looked like with the end links disconnected, we oughta be able to move it up enough to get the 3rd out.
Next thing I was was the e-brake connections. I didn't see any way to get them off unless there's a way from inside the drum. I can't remember as I've only had the runnas drums off once. Any idears on dat?
Final thing I saw different was some sort of sensor going in to the top of the 3rd. Speed sensor?? Anyways, I didn't try to get it off cause I coudn't see exactly how to do it.

Fever...Look in to these last 2 things before Sunday.
Also, start preppin' now and soak all the nuts and bolts (4 on each end of the axle housing, pinion flange/driveshaft bolts and where they come together, sway bar bolts or betta yet...remove it completely, and all the ones around the 3rd) w/ penetrant. A couple days soakin' and it oughta be pretty easy to bust everything loose.

BTW: From my point of view, I'm just providing the place to do it, most the tools (if ya got some bring em as I got alot of mine stolen last year), the experience of havin' installed several, and good conversation. You'll be turnin' most the wrenches.

John...My oldest is 9 and has helped install/drop a few driveshafts. I talked to her a week ago about totally rebuilding her 70 from the ground up as a father daughter project this winter (after the interior of the house gets painted) and she said "You mean take the engine out of the frame and apart, then put it back together?" I said yah and she said she wanted to do it cause that way her little sister can grow up ridin' it too. Her little sister is about 10 months old and loves hangin' out with dad in the garage. Loves to watch the drill make shavings. Even leaves the safety glasses on her face. It cracks me up!!! I don't think my girls have any other choice than to learn how to wrench.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:30 PM
Contributing Member

Alrighty then. How about this Sunday??? at 9am???
I'd like to see how it all works, and can try to help. I can bring my compressor if needed.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:09 PM
Contributing Member

Sure hope Kyle actually reads this...

Alrighty then. How about this Sunday??? at 9am??? I know most you peeps go to church that day but it's pretty much goina be my only full day I can offer up before the run.
There's a reason God made Sunday night church, and Wednesday night, and Tuesday lunch Bible Studay and Thursday night worship and every other Friday night fellowship and Saturday services and then of course RHEMA's Coffee Bank and then His House at 81st and Lynn Lane.... I know I'm forgetting something...

The wife and kids will probably be sleepin' so we'll just start right in on it. Howz dat?
Sounds good, too early for beer, and I don't drink anyway.

Hard to make a tool list as I've never tore into a runna before but I just went and peaked under there and it seems that there's a bit more to it than the trucks or Tacomas. Not much more though...
Hmm looks like we need a narrow steel punch to push a pin thru, and a brass punch, to get the ring gear off...and maybe a good work bench? And a vice? I'm hoping you have these, Ched. ??

Do you have a creeper? or two? I think Pep Boys had one for < $20 so I'll probably invest in one. Now that I'm in the city where there's actually pavement...heh...they didn't work to well on my gravel out in the woods.

First thing I saw was the damn sway bar. That's either gotta get diconected or be removed. Looked like with the end links disconnected, we oughta be able to move it up enough to get the 3rd out.
I think that removing where it mounts to the axle on each side of the diff would be easier...in that it would move further out of the way. Just my 2¢ worth.

Next thing I was was the e-brake connections. I didn't see any way to get them off unless there's a way from inside the drum. I can't remember as I've only had the runnas drums off once. Any idears on dat?
This line may or may not be a problem...

But this one looks like it may have to come off. Maybe.

Final thing I saw different was some sort of sensor going in to the top of the 3rd. Speed sensor?? Anyways, I didn't try to get it off cause I coudn't see exactly how to do it.
Looks like 1 bolt from the top should do it...if we have to.

Fever...Look in to these last 2 things before Sunday.
And I highly suggest reading these articles as well as any others you can find:

Detroit SoftLocker for the 8" Axle

LockRight Locker for the 8" Axle (This is the closest to yours I could find... they used the 4-cyl differential.)

ARB Locker for the 8" Axle

I'm sure there are some here on Yotatech but I didn't have time to look for them all.

Also, start preppin' now and soak all the nuts and bolts (4 on each end of the axle housing, pinion flange/driveshaft bolts and where they come together, sway bar bolts or betta yet...remove it completely, and all the ones around the 3rd) w/ penetrant. A couple days soakin' and it oughta be pretty easy to bust everything loose.
Remember, Fever, I have the good stuff when it comes to penetrant.... and be sure to hit these in front here:

BTW: From my point of view, I'm just providing the place to do it, most the tools ... the experience of havin' installed several, and good conversation. You'll be turnin' most the wrenches.
I'm used to doing most of the work anyhow...so making someone else (Kyle) do it all will be fun. You might have to tie me down.

John...My oldest is 9 and has helped install/drop a few driveshafts. I talked to her a week ago about totally rebuilding her 70 from the ground up as a father daughter project this winter (after the interior of the house gets painted) and she said "You mean take the engine out of the frame and apart, then put it back together?" I said yah and she said she wanted to do it cause that way her little sister can grow up ridin' it too. Her little sister is about 10 months old and loves hangin' out with dad in the garage. Loves to watch the drill make shavings. Even leaves the safety glasses on her face. It cracks me up!!! I don't think my girls have any other choice than to learn how to wrench.
A man after my own heart. I have warned my fiance, that our kids will be able to pass the Fundamentals of Engineering exam, by time they've graduated our home-school Highschool. And, they should be able to do anything to a vehicle...anything their tools will allow.

Kyle: Be sure to get some brake fluid as well...

PS...anyone know how to get these stupid photos to show up?

Last edited by Injohneer; 08-27-2004 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Trying to get the pics right...I booted Yahoo.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:49 PM
Contributing Member

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!! THIS IS KICK ACE!! holy crap I am so excited. whew, wow.

so where exactly do you live Ched? that might be of help. and I will get all the stuff i can tomorrow. This is awesome!!! I gotta call chris, he wanted to join as well...Brian your welcome, come join. Thanks Ched and all of you. SWEEEET!!!!!! WOOOOO!!!
Old 08-26-2004, 10:01 PM
Contributing Member

Meet up at my house Sunday morn'
PM us and give us the addy...or I guess I could always follow you home from work...

Ched has a stalker... j/k

Quick Reply: Tulsa, Ok. Chandler Park Run Sept. 18