Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

San Diego Sunday June 26th

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 11:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deathrunner
you have to crank some Lawrence Welk tunes up there.
Will Opeth work?

Yeah I hope to make it. I'm supposed to go over to a friends house and "jam" that day but we'll see.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Opeth better be his middle name.......

Opeth is rad, good choice.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:36 AM
Contributing Member

I am not planning on being there all day. Just a few hours to play around in dem hills. I figure we will be done by like 2 or 3 at latest.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:15 AM

Hey guys. Can't make the run this weekend. Got in a pretty bad accident last night, rolled my heep three times and ended up skidding across the freeway upside down. My rig is totalled and i have decided to get the money from the insurance company and buy a toyota. I've now been converted to the dark side.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:17 AM

Oh yeah, i'll post before and after pics as soon as possible. Until then i'll be taking my pain medication for a couple of days. Road rash sucks.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:04 AM

I wanna roll, got a question tho... how will a 2wd handle that trail....because when i looked at those pictures...with the wranglers, i saw a ford ranger and unless it was the rare 4x4 i was wondering how it handled it... and if not ide like to show up and maybe roll with some one...

-smoka
Old 06-22-2005, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by TJMatt
Hey guys. Can't make the run this weekend. Got in a pretty bad accident last night, rolled my heep three times and ended up skidding across the freeway upside down. My rig is totalled and i have decided to get the money from the insurance company and buy a toyota. I've now been converted to the dark side.
Holy crap man!!!
Glad you're ok, that sounds like a major accident. What caused the jeep to roll so bad?
Oh yeah, what year/model Toyota you looking at getting?
Old 06-22-2005, 12:55 PM

Not sure on which rig to buy. I'm open to suggestions. I think i rolled 'cause 1-i have a jeep(or had), and 2-i swerved too hard when the baja california plates in front of me locked up their brakes.

Last edited by TJMatt; 06-22-2005 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:05 PM

Hey smoka, if a 2wd vehicle has a locker in the rear, i've heard they wheel better than 4wd without a locker. With that ranger though, if you look at the 4th picture of the the truck by itself, you can see the 2nd diff under the front, meaning to the small extent of my knowledge, its a 4wd.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:16 PM

Dude, I'm glad you're ok....wheeling buddies are few and far between and your a good guy too. Did you suffer an injuries?

As far as Toyotas......might I be the first to suggest a 4Runner. You knew you were gonna hear it sooner or later. Doesn't matter which generation, I think they all have thier perks. Let us know what you want and I'll keep my eyes peeled for you.

Considering no one was injured....maybe this was a godsend. Just Kidding that wrangler was pretty capable.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:41 PM

Hey smoka, if a 2wd vehicle has a locker in the rear, i've heard they wheel better than 4wd without a locker. With that ranger though, if you look at the 4th picture of the the truck by itself, you can see the 2nd diff under the front, meaning to the small extent of my knowledge, its a 4wd.

yeh i figured that ranger was 4x4 cause it was wet that day...i would be sceptical of someone being out there with 2wd...

well, how do i know if i have a locker? i have a 4runner 00 limited
Old 06-22-2005, 01:47 PM

smoka- 2WD will be fine, locker or not. If you "choose" to try something a little more difficult, that is what tow starps are for. But just to go out an dhave a good time, 2WD will be fine up there. I've seen stock 2WD rangers and F150's go up there. Heck I had a friend get his corolla up there, he lost his muffler but it got up.

You probably don't have a locker, it is an expensive option. The only type of locker available from the factory is a selectable electronic locker (Known as the E-locker). There would be a button on your dash to turn it on/off. You can read about it in your manual and try to find the button, but I doubt you have it if you don't already know about it.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:17 PM

thanks...yeh ill make it out there...be my first ever meet with 4runner peeps... looking forward to it...

i just got mine in oct.... really wanted the 4wd but it was like 4 geez more on top of 15k...+ insurance
Old 06-22-2005, 03:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but here it is:
They put up a big metal gate at the entrance with boulders around it..

My fiance grew up in that neighbor hood and still goes running in those mountains once a week with her father. So last night she tell me that the off road place by her dads house is all gated off now. I questioned her about where it is at and it is exactly where deatherrunner is talking about. I have been there too many time so I know its the same place.

Also she said that when they were running by the water tower at the top of the mountaing that they saw a Sherriff in a Bronco hiding in the brush...

SORRY this is not a joke Dam eco-nazi democrats

Last edited by SoCal4Running; 06-22-2005 at 03:57 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 06-22-2005, 06:07 PM

The Front side is closed????

The rear has been gated for a while, but now the front too????

DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-22-2005, 06:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes the front; after you turn left and your on that sloping road and then you would turn off to the right to go up the mountain. She said there is a big gate there.

Last time we were out there (at least 2 months ago) we were told to leave by ASTREA (getto bird) and we tried to go out the back way and ran into a gate made of like 7" steel tubing. She described it as kinda the same. Not chainlink that you could just drive thru.

Sucks,
Next election EVERYONE needs to vote!!!!!!
Old 06-22-2005, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by marcP
Don't be mad you can't go Rob. There will be other opportunities
Dear Wizard boy:

Ha Ha.

Last edited by RobT2k; 06-22-2005 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:28 PM
Contributing Member

That is no bueno.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:20 PM

Not sure on which rig to buy. I'm open to suggestions. I think i rolled 'cause 1-i have a jeep(or had), and 2-i swerved too hard when the baja california plates in front of me locked up their brakes.
Matt,

I'm glad you are alright (you are alright, right?) Sorry to hear about your Jeep. I suggest buying the nicest Toyota 4x4 you can afford. That is the best advice out there.

You need to decide if carrying passengers is important or not

1st Gen 4 runners are cool because you can take 4 passengers and take the top off

1985 is the ultimate year for the older trucks and 4runners because you can get solid axle front and 22re (fuel injected vs. carb).

Toyota Land Cruisers are solid front axle all the way up to 1997...

As you have seen though, an IFS toy can go almost anywhere with a rear locker.

Let me know what type of rig you are looking for and I'll look too.

-Bryan
Old 06-23-2005, 09:11 AM

Hey i appreciate all your comments guys. It was my dad and i in the heep. The only injuries were that my dad got 5 stitches in the top of his head from hitting the roll bar the first time we went over. And as for me, i had my half door on with no window and my arm fell out when we stopped rolling and began skidding, so i got some pretty narly road rash on half my arm.
Anyways, enough of the girly stories. I need to hurry up and get another vehicle so i can get out wheelin' again. I really like Mikey's ride. What is that? A first gen? I'll probably have a meager 4,000 to spend. What are my best options in your guys opinion? I could also take out a loan for about 4,000 more. What do you guys think? Any help is much aprreciate.

Quick Reply: San Diego Sunday June 26th