Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

San Diego desert trip in November!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No prob! I think its best to wait for an avalible day.
Possibly next weekend, the 15th or 16th?

Hey, is Mikey in costa rica now?
Old 10-07-2005, 11:12 AM
Contributing Member

Hey guys! I can't go this weekend since I don't have my truck but the November run sounds good. I'll be headed up to the Offroad Expo this weekend in Pomona to check it out. I think some poeple from TTORA SoCal are trying to get one together in November as well:

When: November 11 –13, 2005Where: Anza Borrego/Ocotillo WellsGeneral info: We are heading out to Anza Borrego to go have some fun in the desert, nothing very hard. For the majority of the weekend we will be on scenic drives through the beautiful and historic Anza Borrego State Park. This is going to be a very laid back weekend of wheeling, camping and possibly some hiking. Bring the family! Due to the regulations of the park we can not have any fires directly on the ground, we are bringing a self contained fire pit (50 gallon drum cut in ½), this will not be a huge raging fire, but something to keep warm around and tell stories around.

Camping:The exact location of the campsite is unknown at this moment; once it cools off we will be finding a spot and will post the information with plenty of time for you all to plan.Trails:Though this is a casual trip, we plan on having two types of runs, depending on the number of people who decide to come and have fun. Fun is they key word!
  • Easy: A trip through some of the more famous sights and history of Anza Borrego from the Pumpkin Patch, The Desert Mail Box, Palm Oasisis, sand washes, badlands and on to Split Mountain, The Anticline, Elephant Knees and a possible hike to the Wind Caves and more time permitting and if there is interest. Though much of trip is in sandy washes, 4X4 will be required for safety and airing down will help. Stock vehicles will be fine on this run. Please have a full tank of gas prior to the start of this run as it will cover a lot of ground and there will be no services.
  • Medium: A trip through Pinyon Mountain Road to split mountain, and back onto the highway to South Coyote Canyon. 4x4 is required on both of these trails. Rocker protection is suggested.
Notes:
  • This may be expanded as others step up to volunteer.
  • We will be camping close enough to Ocotillo Wells OHVA, if you have a bike, quad or a prerunner this is a great place to go play.
  • Sorry no hardcore runs. This is simply due to the fact that we don’t know of any in this area. However, the area has a lot to offer and you will have fun!
  • We may also have some casual runs on Sunday Morning.
Must Have:For both of the runs, you need to have a full size spare, and the tools to change it. A 1st aid kit and fire extinguisher are also good to have in your vehicle. A CB or handheld radio is very nice to have, especially for the easy run, Dennis knows his history! Bring plenty of water and food, the desert is not a joke! Be sure you have a full tank of gas. Bring you and your friends and be prepared to have fun!

Trail Leaders and Volunteers:Easy: Dennis Attentively Uninterested (DennisDawg) + trail gunner

Medium: Chris Critter (Wgasa84) , Terren (tmez)

Other Volunteers and Planners: Jeff All Post, No Content (Munssey) and Kyle Hebby: Planning and helping all around!

More info and pictures on the stated trails:Pinyon Mountain Road

South Coyote Canyon

Truckhaven

Easy run pictures (look for heading starting with Anza Borrego)
Old 10-10-2005, 07:19 PM
Contributing Member

I am planning on joining the TTORA group on that weekend. My month has become very busy, so no wheeling for me.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:16 PM
Contributing Member

I want to go out with TTORA, but I am a little confused by their plans.

They are camping at Truckhaven, but wheeling in Ocotillo?? They plan to do Pinyon Mtn and Split Mtn--both are 45 min + from Truckhaven.

If I am camping at Truckhaven, I will wheel there.

Who is planning on going on this trip? and what are you thinking?
Old 10-20-2005, 08:45 PM
Contributing Member

Marc
I am planning on doing this run. Will follow though to find out the exact details because I am confused also. Not that it is unusual with me. Sounds like a fun trip though and anytime it is camping also totally rocks.
Eric
Old 10-20-2005, 09:13 PM

i'm firiggin back.... costa rica was awesome.... but my rig is still out of commision for at least another week while my buddy finishes up the rear jungle gym then i have to see what is up with the manifold heating up so bad. oh and on the first on gone for about 7 days to the bahamas with the family so pretty much this month is screwed but november...... lets try to do a little goof off campout at superstition or truckhaven. drink some brews and having a nice campfire and a few good jokes is definately in order....
Old 10-23-2005, 11:37 AM

hey have we figured out a date yet or are we just going to talk about it for ever. also where are we going?
Old 10-23-2005, 12:19 PM
Contributing Member

Clear the seawater from your eyes Mikey...we are going out the weekend of Nov 12th.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:22 PM

oh what a goon i am!!!!! alright stop agreeing so fast. are we going to borrego or are we goofin in truckhaven?
Old 10-23-2005, 03:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's truckhaven like? I've never been up there. Is it like the desert or the desert? There is so mich variety out there. I went on a run this weekend and it was good, but the runner needs some more tweaking so hopefully I get it back soon enough to join in.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:56 PM

i dont think i can come out till the evening of the 12th my wife has something going on at noon. but i can load up and head out there then as long as someone is going to hand around on sunday.... as far as truckhaven goes it's kinda like the borrego badlands very sandy and lots of very tricky little canyons that are very tight but body damage is not a factor. just imagine superstition without the dunes and softer
Old 10-24-2005, 07:32 AM
Contributing Member

Do you think a 4th Gen 4runner could make it through through the canyons without body damage? I've run through the badlands, which were quite tight in places, but I always managed to make it out. Also, is it about the same difficulty as the badlands area, or much worse? I ran the badlands area totally stock and it didn't seem too bad. Hopefully sliders / 33's / 2.5" lift should be fine?

If the above is true, I might be down since I haven't met anyone in here.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:35 AM

Sounds cool, hope my truck is ready.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
guys,

unless i missed it, i cant figure out what weekend you guys are planning to go. i can make it on the weekend of the 12th but not the 19th and of course, not t-day weekend. i hear you guys in SD are a lot of fun, so set a date fellas!

bob
Old 10-24-2005, 06:48 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
guys,

i hear you guys in SD are a lot of fun, so set a date fellas!

bob
Don't believe it we are a bunch of jerks. THe trip is 11-13 Nov.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks, eric. see you guys there

bob
Old 10-26-2005, 10:22 PM

I'm about 75%....

I have the time

I want to go

Need my truck back.

If I have it, I will be there.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:46 AM
Contributing Member

The plan for now is to camp and wheel Truckhaven. I am not into backtracking 45 min to Ocotillo. We will be camping with the TTORA group. They are always entertaining.

Will probably hit up Super Burger for dinner on Sat.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:18 AM

superburger hell yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i hope everything on my rig gets done this weekend i need to get it over to a mechanic friend to figure out the manifold issue and i still have to clean out the ant farm thats been feeding off food from the last superstition run
Old 10-27-2005, 03:57 PM

Sounds like a good time. I'm gonna try to make it.

Quick Reply: San Diego desert trip in November!!