Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

New to AZ off-roading

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to AZ off-roading

Not so new to AZ, but i'm ready to break in my 04 runner. I'm in Tempe, and the weather is PERFECT (rain for the last couple days).

Sorry if this is a repeated question, but i need some advice on some nice runs nearest to Tempe. I have NO off-roading mods at all... I still have the dunlop tires. I guess this qualifies me for an 'easy-moderate' trail? Also, keep in mind it will probably be my truck, and my truck only, since I know no-one that is into off-roading.

Thanks for you advice!!!
Old 01-04-2005, 07:31 AM
Contributing Member

there are tons of mods for the 4th gen...do a search. as for AZ, i know there are several members living all around the state. From what i understand there are numerous trails with varying degrees of difficulty. The
Old 01-04-2005, 07:43 AM

Until the washes and rivers quit running, the high desert putput runs are gonna be limited due to high water crossings.

One of my favorite scenic off highway runs is Table Mesa Road. Either east or west, the area has lots to see.

To the west, the road leads to Lake Pleasant, or to the old mining town of Tip Top. Both areas are perfect for a stock Runner. Right now, the river crossings are impassable for a stock vehicle. The springtime desert flower show is awesome! As a side note, if you keep your eyes open on the way to Tip Top, you will pass several of the best trails in AZ. Raw Deal, Twisted, the Terminators and Judgment Day, Anaconda, Predator, Annihilator, Collateral Damage and the Matrix are all off Table Mesa on the way to Tip Top. Armageddon is off the road to Lake Pleasant.

To the east, Table Mesa Road winds its way thru the high desert to Seven Springs. It's a beautiful ride- bumpy, but beautiful. There are river crossings that may be impassable right now. From the Seven Springs junction, a turn to the north will lead to Bloddy Basin off I-17. It's a long drive, but well worth the trip.

Once the snow clears up this spring, another fun drive is to Prescott via Crown King. It takes about 6 hours total.

Enjoy your Runna!

Later

http://azbackcountry.com/Trails/View.asp?T=4
Old 01-04-2005, 08:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For something closer to Tempe try 4 Peaks road. It is pretty easy, just bumpy. With all this rain though there is no telling. I have actually been to the top years ago in a VW Rabbit with good weather and careful negotiation. It is not unusual to see passenger vehicles both at the saddle up top and conversely, broken along the road. If that doesn't give you enough, you can also use it to access Cane Springs Road or the Edwards Park Trail. Cane Springs is at lower elevation but may be cut off by running washes right now. Edwards runs up to 6600 ft but I doubt snow would be a problem as these past 2 storms have been really warm. Having said that, I haven't really been ble to see the peaks for a couple of weeks now so one never knows.

Mike
Old 01-04-2005, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by BLKNBLU
.........Edwards runs up to 6600 ft but I doubt snow would be a problem as these past 2 storms have been really warm. .......Mike
FYI: it's snowin' like crazy here in Prescott Valley at 5100'
Old 01-04-2005, 10:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was hoping you would chime in on that point
Old 01-04-2005, 11:01 AM
Contributing Member

There are a couple fun trails behind my house (East side of I-17 and Happy Valley Rd). There is also an old dam where you can get dam muddy.

It could be a lake back there right now though!