Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Azuza ohv

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Azuza ohv

I went around for a couple hours this morning. It was fun getting all muddy. I crunched one of my running boards but I bent it back ok. Better take them off next time! Nice morning.

This was so frickin hilarious! This guy got stuck. His friend in a Cherokee (huge lift, 36's or some huge tires) got in front and did burnouts in the mud, coating the whole truck in mud. That's why the front is covered in mud. Oh man, it was so funny. After he did that for a while he came over and asked if I had a rope.

That CJ got stuck trying to get him out. His friend pulled him out.
Another Blazer was stuck in the same spot overnight on friday.
Old 09-28-2003, 11:22 AM
Contributing Member

Sounds like fun! - mud burnouts on your buddy....yaaaaaaaaa! (isn't that part of the wheelin credo??)
Old 09-28-2003, 11:56 AM

Where is this place located? How big of an area is it? What type of other terrain? It sounds familiar to me.
Old 09-28-2003, 12:13 PM

It's a good OHV. For some reason it was free this weekend. Usually it's $5 on weekends.
Azuza canyon off the 210 fwy. It's only about 15 min. from my house so I go there to mess around sometimes.

Nothing fancy, but the water is let back so you have some room to play. Couple decent mud areas- those mud pits are dangerous though!(see pic) That's thick mud so if you stuck, you're stuck. There's stream crossings, rocky areas...

A Ford Ranger lost the lower 1/2 of it's front bumper (plastic & dangling foglights). But it's cool, he was having fun.
Mud is drying up though...if we get some rain, that is going to be a seriously fun spot.
This is a super easy crossing(maybe 1')- one you have to cross on the way to the mud

This jeep is going thru a fun mud area. I went thru that a few times.

Great view and nice weather. You could just hang out here and take it in-maybe even fish too.

Last edited by FirstToy; 09-28-2003 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-28-2003, 01:03 PM

Hey I got stuck in that mud in that lake bed a few years ago. It was a pretty cool place to wheel even though I didn't have any recovery gear. Got stuck in a mud hole, and since I had no tow strap, and no one else did either, I had to slog through the mud and jam some driftwood under the tires to get out. Here is a pic of my rig at the time driving through one of the creek beds there. The guys in the jeep were yelling at me to get out of the creek bed. I guess that you are allowed to cross, but not to drive in it. Ooops! Sorry! But then again Toyotas are not well known for leaking toxic chemicals into the water like Jeeps are! All in all a good time, but I thought that the admission price was a surprise though.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...54610314tTLDNx

Last edited by seafarinman; 09-28-2003 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-30-2003, 05:40 PM

Note to self: take the running boards off!

This is where I munched the running board a few times. But you gotta keep going when you're having fun!

It got pushed up but luckily not enough to touch the body. I'm for sure taking them off next time.

This is the underside of the rear bumper (just aft of the spare and next to the tow hitch) That's where I scraped coming down a ledge- no big deal but that's why I want a skid plate/bar there. It'll come in handy in the future.

Last edited by FirstToy; 09-30-2003 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-01-2003, 02:56 PM
Contributing Member

FirstToy:

Looks like you have some virgin skid plates!!!! You should look under my 4runner! It looks like some just ate the bottom section apart!! lol...

Nice pix btw, looks like you definitely had some fun! Next time you go up there, hit me up as I'm in the SGV area too

Btw, get rid of those running boards... they're useless!
Old 10-01-2003, 04:59 PM

Re: Note to self: take the running boards off!

Originally posted by FirstToy

This is the underside of the rear bumper (just aft of the spare and next to the tow hitch) That's where I scraped coming down a ledge- no big deal but that's why I want a skid plate/bar there. It'll come in handy in the future.
I can't really see much there, did you try wiping it off?
I just got a little scrape action on my bumper too.
Here's thepics

Last edited by RobT2k; 10-01-2003 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-01-2003, 05:17 PM

Aw man, show me some love! I'm probably one of the few to have a 4th gen paint kiss some dirt. There was a new Durango out there too but he refused to go in the mud.

Yeah, I washed 1/2 of it off when I took the pic and polished out the scratches. I got lucky because it was a sandy ledge, not rock. If it was rock, that would have sucked.

Buried the muffler tip but I scratched the TOP of the muffler tip... maybe a bouncing rock.

Last edited by FirstToy; 10-01-2003 at 05:22 PM.
Old 10-01-2003, 06:20 PM
Contributing Member

FirstToy:

This 4runner ate some rocks Front bumper, passenger side panels (and Rob was there to hear it!), front skidplates, gas skidplates and part of the rear suspension. Yikes what have I not bruised!?!?!?

hehe
Old 10-14-2003, 09:20 AM

San Gabriel OHV Area

I was up there on Monday (Columbus Day), but couldn't get in. They don't like 2wd trucks or SUVs unless you have a green sticker. $21 for 2 years for the green sticker, the only problem is you have to go to the DMV to get one. I live 15 minutes from the area as well. We should hook up FirstToy! My bros wife's sister has a 4-runner. I've got a lifted 2wd Isuzu Axiom.

Last edited by Sveltax; 10-14-2003 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-14-2003, 12:45 PM

Sveltax,

Next time I go up there, I'll post it for you to see. We can hook up there.

That's odd about the green sticker, never heard of that. I've been up there about...4 times and never had to pay or hassled. They did stick a little green sticker on the windshield on the weekend but that comes off with a wash (paper sticker). Maybe they hassled you for Columbus Day only- pretty crowded I imagine?

I can understand the 2wd thing because people get stuck in the mud with 4wd and the rangers WON'T help pull you out! They might help a bit but basically you're stuck if you play too hard. I think they get sick of people bumming straps or pulls all day.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:36 AM

Question

Are you going out to Anza Borrego on the 24th-26th? I'm trying to get my brother to go with me on the 25th only, just for the runs. I was supposed to have a rear locker installed but it hasn't arrived yet, I got the Auzzie locker.

I don't think I'll be able to do a lot of the 4x4 runs, any chance of riding along with you if my Axiom can't hack it?