Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

2 dead, 2 injured

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 dead, 2 injured

kctopher, sorry if this thread is in the wrong place, but I thought this would be the place to mention it.

Colorado saw another OHV fatality this weekend.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...097648,00.html

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but not a single one of the occupants had a seatbelt on. This is the second story I've seen about a fatality on high mountain roads this summer. And again no seatbelts. If this keeps up I would not be surprised if some polititian started screaming that offroad trails should be shut down to "save us from the dangers of offroading". Next time you see someone on a trail without thier belt on, let 'em know. Thier ignorance could be the end of your enjoyment!
Old 08-09-2004, 12:03 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the reminder. But I must say, if I yelled "put your seatbelt on!" to a fellow off-roader out here in AZ, there could be a gun battle. People take that really personally which I think is stupid, but they do.

Anyway, thanks.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:07 PM

feel really bad for the kid, loosing both parents....

I wonder if it would have made any difference w/ belts on tho- that's a LONG way down. I'm not sure even a well built cage and 4 point harness like I use would be up to that.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:08 PM
Contributing Member

Question though...1000 feet is a huge drop. Who's to say if they had their seatbelts on they would have survived. I bet the reason the kids survived is because they were ejected early before the car was turned into a pancake at the bottom of the cliff. Im not saying dont wear your seatbelt, but there are various instances where staying in the vehicle is worse than being ejected. I would guess this is one of them...
Old 08-09-2004, 12:27 PM
Contributing Member

That's sad;ever since I got into racing cars I couldn't imagine not wearing a seatbelt now even just for a drive around the block.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:45 PM

I feel almost naked if I'm not wearing one... my parents made sure I knew to wear one..
Old 08-09-2004, 01:27 PM
DSP

Telluride claims 2 more lives on Imogene

Another husband and wife died this weekend in a single car rollover accident. This time it was on Imogene Pass, in which many of you have driven and are familiar with, and from where the Black Bear Picture was taken in the previous thread.

Luckily both children in the back of the vehicle although ejected, are in stable condition in Grand Junction.

Please, please, please, please, please
be careful out there...

Dave
Old 08-09-2004, 01:29 PM

Started another thread on the same accident earlier (See "2 dead, 2 injured")
Old 08-09-2004, 01:29 PM
Contributing Member

I think someone beat you to this story. Thanks though!
Old 08-09-2004, 01:41 PM
DSP

sorry about the double thread, i did not notice the first as i was posting...

just a point of clarification though...
my best friend was the individual from SAR that pronounced the couple from missouri dead on black bear, and although all reports said they were not wearing their seatbelts...

he said the likely hood she was wearing her belt, and that was why she was ejected 700 feet further down the rollover than her husband...

not making a argument for not wearing your belt, but sometimes, it may be easier to jump than ride out the accident, in any case, wearing your seatbelt doesn't help careless driving...

be careful
Old 08-09-2004, 01:50 PM

96Runner, Crawler, PoBoy,
I see what your saying about the "benefits" of not wearing a belt. And yes after 1000ft I doubt even a 4 point and a cage would have helped much. I'm more worried about the media wow value of another "Stupid offroad driver not being carefull" story effecting OUR ability to enjoy the trails. I's a horrible, sad story, but I doubt it would get near the same press if they all had thier belts on no matter what the outcome was. Just be carefull out there, your actions effect more than just yourself.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by COcajun
96Runner, Crawler, PoBoy,
I see what your saying about the "benefits" of not wearing a belt.
Hey, I never said that!
Old 08-09-2004, 07:06 PM
Contributing Member

Damn subaru's
Old 08-09-2004, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by DSP
sorry about the double thread, i did not notice the first as i was posting...
Don't worry about it, I merged them together.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:50 PM
Banned

i dont always wear my seatbelt.... but when it comes to offroading, its a definate must... i have rolled my truck twice and both times, had i not been wearing my seatbelt, i probably wouldnt have been around after the roll
Old 08-09-2004, 09:52 PM
Banned

and none of the occupants was wearing a seatbelt? what is that? its my choice not to wear mine and i can be stupid and responsible for me, but to not make my kids wear one? my car isnt moving if my kids dont have their belts on.. i dont care if they get mad about it either.... [im not a father yet, but soon...]
Old 08-09-2004, 10:48 PM
Contributing Member

In CA and in the offroading community the seatbelts are commonly used. I have a good friend of mine who got out of the practice of using a seatbelt when he went to med school in Ohio.

You'd think someone who had the brains to go to med school and had a rotation in an ER would be smart enough to use the seatbelt...
The guy gets annoyed at me when I refuse to drive until he buckles up. How can people be so smart and yet so stupid?
Old 08-10-2004, 08:23 AM
DSP

Originally Posted by Shane
Don't worry about it, I merged them together.
Thanks...

now i don't feel like such a dumb

-dsp
Old 08-10-2004, 09:47 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by PoBoy
Question though...1000 feet is a huge drop. Who's to say if they had their seatbelts on they would have survived. I bet the reason the kids survived is because they were ejected early before the car was turned into a pancake at the bottom of the cliff. Im not saying dont wear your seatbelt, but there are various instances where staying in the vehicle is worse than being ejected. I would guess this is one of them...
I'll take my chances with the seatbelt since you can't predict those incidences and any paramedic or cop who has seen accidents where occupants were ejected most of the time they die. We're just looking at incidences where people lived but for every person that lives I'm sure 10 more die in ejection accidents. Seatbelts will save you in '99% of accidents than they will kill you.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That's really sad to hear, I can see that happening very easyly. The problem with Imogene Pass is it's too crowded sometimes, so you're constantly pulling over to let someone pass. Many places you have to pull over to the edge of a cliff basicly. There are jeep rental places near by and lots of inexperinced drivers. The jeep rental places won't let their customers go on Black Bear Pass though so it's not very crowded on it. I'm going over Imogene on Aug 26th, I'll be thinking of them and praying for those kids.

Quick Reply: 2 dead, 2 injured