Notices
Buying & Selling Advice - Feeler/Gauging Interest This general forum is for those seeking information about buying, model features/differences, pricing to sell, and related advice

Opinions on a 1995 3.0 turbo diesel SSR-X Limited

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 01:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions on a 1995 3.0 turbo diesel SSR-X Limited

I'm going to take this for a test drive tomorrow and maybe have my mechanic take a look at it. It's really pretty tidy inside and out. Apparently the overdrive light flashes after you turn it off. Not sure about that. It has good tyres, but a little mismatched. Thing that bothers me is that it's had a odometer roll back to the tune of 60,000k's between border check and it's first warrant of fitness in New Zealand. That would put the real mileage at 277,000Km's (172,000miles). I guess I could use this as leverage to get the price down. I have the print out.
What do you folks reckon? You can get better deals, but of course they're in other parts of the country.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=407728333

Old 09-18-2011, 07:27 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
A vehicle like that is a diamond in the rocks to us in America.... I paid 4,200 for my 92 4Runner back in 2006 with 107k miles and a 5 speed. I'd offer him 4k from the looks of it and the damages in the ad pictures
Old 09-19-2011, 12:04 PM

Drove really nice compared with the 3vz, but then so does my dads briggs & stratton mower, even that can pull the skin off a rice pudding

Yup 3.0l TD is a really nice combination for these trucks. The auction is still going, but I doubt I'll be making bid considering the odometer was clocked for 60K. That essentially means that it had 160,000Km's (100,000 mile) before it left Japan. Japanese vehicles spend a hell of a lot of engine hours sitting in traffic with the a/c on and that's a killer. Unless the motor had a full re-build (and there was no evidence toward that) I can wait. It looked like it was due for a new radiator. Had the dual battery 24V start up system (one is bad enough)
I dunno, if were cheaper maybe. Shhesh, just doing a head on one of these will set you back $4k
Old 09-19-2011, 12:11 PM

Looking at that picture, I cannot wait for my hilux surf fenderflares to arrive.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:16 PM

thats pretty cool you guys can get diesels on the regular we dont get too many here in the us i have a 81 yota diesel longbed and i cant figure whats wrong with it and after i accelerate it loses power or shuts off but it has all new filters and glow plugs
Old 09-20-2011, 01:51 AM

Well I'm pretty freakin excited to say the least!!

I just put a deposit on a mint '93 SSR-X 3.0 turbo diesel with 130K on the clock. Got it for $4,900(3.9usd). The old guy has had it since import with regular servicing from a reputable diesel mechanic. He was just putting up a sign in the window as I leaving a town about an hr from home. I just about caused a pile up when I hit the brakes.

On the way over there I was thinking about just this very thing. I don't want to sound too flakey, but I was "putting it out to the universe" as I was driving. It is just the right thing.

It has an after market turbo timer, and the real sweetener, the deal maker...it's a manual 5spd that shifts like a new one Manuals in the 3.0td are as rare as hens teeth, I can hardly believe it! I know I should have pics, but I was just wayyyyy to pre-occupied to even think of it, but here's pretty much exactly what it looks like, colour and all..

It's weird driving it, you put some gas on, the turbo spools up and it actually really goes. Your not going to out run the cops, but at least I finally have some power. In the V6 when you put the pedal down, the only thing that moves is the fuel gauge

Sorry about the rant, pretty exited though. I have to say it's going to be nice to get back into a manual after all the bloody autos I've over the past 7yrs. It should help on the fuel economy a little too. Still, at best, probably around 26mpg or 9 litres/100 km. Not too shabby really.

The guy has to get his built-in car phone thingy un-installed, so hopefully I pick it up this weekend. I'll post some pics just as soon as I get the chance.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by elcamino101
thats pretty cool you guys can get diesels on the regular we dont get too many here in the us i have a 81 yota diesel longbed and i cant figure whats wrong with it and after i accelerate it loses power or shuts off but it has all new filters and glow plugs
Would it be anything to do with the injector pump? The guys over on Toyota Surf Owners, Australia will surely be able to help. I should probably post over there myself seeing as they're right next door, and now that I have the diesel. They have a lot of diesels too, but I've had the V6 and you folks have a way bigger database for information. Plus, I like you folks (nothing against the aussies, I was born there). Just horses for courses and all that