Notices
Buying & Selling Advice - Feeler/Gauging Interest This general forum is for those seeking information about buying, model features/differences, pricing to sell, and related advice

buying a wrecked vehicle to pull engine/tranny

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
buying a wrecked vehicle to pull engine/tranny

Just curious about how to go about buying a wrecked vehicle. I've been shopping around for a 2tr to put in a project I've got in motion but I can't seem to find any with all the accessories needed. I found a block or two but with all of the computers needed including the throttle and chipped key it would seem better to just but the whole truck and then drag it off to a junk yard after. How does all of that work?

I know if I repaired it and sold it I would need a license but I just want to make sure I'm thinking the right lines here. Thanks for the help in advance.

I'm also not tossing out the idea of a 3rz but the 2tr is getting really affordable looking.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Craigslist. Buy the whole thing, take what you need, part the rest, take body to metal yard. Profit.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:22 PM

Been looking there as well. What I'm actually curious about are these salvage sites. There are loads of trucks up for auction. Usually there is a brokerage fee but even if it were 200 bucks and I pucked up the whole thing for 600-1500 it would still be a good deal IMO since you have everything.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:07 PM

I know this thread is a little old. I just wanted to comment that I bought a wrecked tacoma from an insurance auction for my 3.4 swap. The site i found it on was IAAI.com. They have auction houses in most major cities. They have auctions, I beleive, every week? If not every other week. Different days in different cities. Theres ALWAYS ALOT of good finds. I looked for about a year before I came across a deal i couldnt pass up, plus it was close to home. Im not a dealer so i had to go through a broker, for a fee of course. The auction house too charges a fee for every vehicle they sell. Id never been to a car auction before let alone an insurance auction. IT WAS AWESOME!! I wish I had a dealers license or rebuilders license etc and probable like 10K more in my pocket. There was some unbelievably cheap vehicles sold there. I still cant believe how little money some of those brought. I can go on for pages describing my experience. It was incredible!! Im working on getting a qualified license so i can buy without a broker. Anyways you and anybody else not knowing about it should check out the site, (I still do!).