Notices
Buying & Selling Advice - Feeler/Gauging Interest This general forum is for those seeking information about buying, model features/differences, pricing to sell, and related advice

'87 sr5 4runner need opinions (PICS enclosed)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'87 sr5 4runner need opinions (PICS enclosed)

I know, another "hey guys, look at this and tell me if its ok/a/good deal/going to self destruct in a month" posts....

I apologize in advance to those who find it annoying. I tried to post in the opinions/interest gauge section of classifieds but can't because I don't have enough posts apparently. So it goes...

To those who like to offer up opinions to the newer folks, please read on:

I've been on the hunt for a first or second gen in the northeast for the past few months. As you might imagine, it's been rough going. Most of what I find up here is rusted out, beat to ˟˟˟˟, heavily modded, or some disasterous combination of all 3.

But then I came across this:

I kinda fell in love, so I made the trip a few states away to where it was to have a look. The seller has exceeded my expectations as far as his honesty thus far. He has done quite a bit of work on it during the time he had it, including cylinder head and head gasket replacement, new camshaft, OME 2" suspension lift, and a couple more things I cant recall at the moment.

I'm looking for a daily driver, so the fact that other than the lift (and the mechanical/functional repairs) it is stock was very appealing to me. So is the fact that it has 123,000 miles on it, is a 22re 5 speed, and has a flawless interior. Its got the rust cancer above the rear wheel wells that most of this gen have, and warrants some treatment in the next few months, and maybe ultimately quarter-panel replacement if I want to take it to that level. The bed under the carpet is still fully sealed and 100% rust free.

So I arranged to have the seller take it to a local dealer to have it inspected. They called me up today with all sorts of ridiculous price quotes for the following: Right side tag lamp bulb, radiator leak, Transfer case mount needs rubber replaced, Front diff seal is leaking, exhaust needs to be redone from cat-back, and some oil is leaking from somewhere (they don't know here, and it is minor) The frame is solid, the engine is good, the brakes are good, the transmission is good.

Seller already pointed out most of this to me prior to inspection, and agreed to replace the exhaust before I purchase it.

Obviously i dont want to pay the dealer for all that crap, but I would def feel better having at least the radiator done for the time being. Maybe the Diff taken care of too?

I should probably stop ˟˟˟˟ing around and commit, right?

Opinions welcome and encouraged, Thanks...
Old 05-01-2012, 05:49 PM

Feelings are important, truxt your feelings. I don't know what they are asking, but the truck seems nice. If you are not affraid of turning a few wrenches, and the garage gave a pretty good bill of health, snap it up before someone else does.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless I missed it, what's the asking price?
Old 05-01-2012, 06:28 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
I don't mind seeing pictures of 1st gens. IF a DEALER couldn't find anything major wrong you should go for it. One thing you should have done (if it hasn't been done) is the timing chain. That truck looks like it was well cared for.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:32 PM

Thumbs up

WINNING!!!!!!!
If you dont buy it please post it on here so someone else can!
Old 05-01-2012, 06:58 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Y.Satchel
But then I came across this:

... OME 2" suspension lift, and a couple more things I cant recall at the moment.
... 123,000 miles on it, is a 22re 5 speed, and has a flawless interior. Its got the rust cancer above the rear wheel wells that most of this gen have, ... Right side tag lamp bulb, radiator leak, Transfer case mount needs rubber replaced, Front diff seal is leaking, exhaust needs to be redone from cat-back, and some oil is leaking from somewhere ... The frame is solid, the engine is good, the brakes are good, the transmission is good....agreed to replace the exhaust before I purchase it.

I should probably stop ˟˟˟˟ing around and commit, right?

123000 miles is low! If the price is right, it looks like a nice truck! All those findings are typical of a vehicle that age and are minor. (Heck, my 2001 Civic has leaks on oil pan).
Differential leak could be from lack of four-wheeling. 4runner manual recommends that front diffs be used at least 10 km (I think) every month, to keep seals lubed.
Yes, you should probably stop ˟˟˟˟ing around LOL!
Old 05-01-2012, 07:03 PM

Fork over the money before someone else does! It looks pretty clean
Old 05-01-2012, 07:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Good find, snap it up before someone else does...
Old 05-01-2012, 07:45 PM

x2 +
Old 05-01-2012, 07:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That truck as it is right now with what i have seen posted is worth like 3-4k range.

Truck is very very pretty.... and looks just like mine...

Old 05-02-2012, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by Nervo19
I don't mind seeing pictures of 1st gens. IF a DEALER couldn't find anything major wrong you should go for it. One thing you should have done (if it hasn't been done) is the timing chain. That truck looks like it was well cared for.
Thanks Nervo, meant to include timing chain in my initial list of things that had been done in the last 5000 miles, so it should be good til near 200k I'm guessing?

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
123000 miles is low! If the price is right, it looks like a nice truck! All those findings are typical of a vehicle that age and are minor. (Heck, my 2001 Civic has leaks on oil pan).
Differential leak could be from lack of four-wheeling. 4runner manual recommends that front diffs be used at least 10 km (I think) every month, to keep seals lubed.
Yes, you should probably stop ˟˟˟˟ing around LOL!
That's what I thought, and it checked out on the carfax too. One owner from '87-'08 which is cool to know too. Interesting about the diff and lack of 4x4! That's something I'm glad to know. Though I'm gonna have to read the FSM front to back if I get this thing and learn all of its other quirks too...

Originally Posted by 8runner6
Fork over the money before someone else does! It looks pretty clean
Arrgghhh...I know. I'm not even lying when I tell you I woke up this morning from a bad dream in which the seller traded it to someone else while I was asleep! HAHAHAHAHA....I think I'm gonna move on it, thanks for the encouragement.

Originally Posted by Kiroshu
That truck as it is right now with what i have seen posted is worth like 3-4k range.

Truck is very very pretty.... and looks just like mine...

I actually deliberately avoided posting the price in my OP. Though this is a really helpful site, and seems like a great community, one thing i noticed a lot of on here (and all car forus really) is a whole lot of bickering over price. One man's "rip-off" is another's "great deal" ya know? So rather than see it degenerate into that, just figured I'd see what people thought of the car on looks and description alone, which I'm glad I did in retrospect. But you actually nailed it with your range. Most EFI first-gen runners I see up here go for 3-5k depending on condition. Since I have yet to complete the purchase, and there may yet be negotiating ahead, lets just say I'll end up paying between 3.5-4grand.

Thanks so much to everyone for chiming in on this. It was excactly the response and encouragement I was hoping for.

I've always been confident working on my road bicycles (no laughter, it's actually got its tricky, annoying parts, particularly when dealing with torque wrenches and carbon fiber) But the sheer number of parts on a car has always intimidated me when it comes to repairs. Let's hope I'm ready to man up with the socket wrenches when duty calls....
Old 05-02-2012, 02:13 AM

I should have the radiator taken care of though at least, right? Not AT the dealer of course, but perhaps at my local mechanic once I get it home? What's that 3-5 hundred dollar job?

I am trying to turn over a new leaf as far as car-ownership is concerned this time around. Years of driving a ˟˟˟˟ty, rusted out '98 Ford Ranger that I hated have sort of desensitized me to a cars "needs" :-)

Like, by the time that thing was ready to bite the dust (which was mighty quick, let me tell you!), I literally wouldn't even look under the hood or the body for fear of what terrible surprises might lie in store! I ignored all warning signs until it was too late mostly outta sheer spite for the thing's wretched existence.

I will never treat a car like that again, and hope that a car will never treat me like that again in turn...
Old 05-03-2012, 02:30 AM

gettin it Monday!

Thanks again for the feedback.

-S.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:12 AM

Awesome!
Looks like a great deal. I'm jealous! You'll be driving it soon.
Mine 88 Runner is sick and at the mechanics for a working transmission so I don't get to drive it yet.
Cheers,
CM
Old 05-06-2012, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Y.Satchel
I should have the radiator taken care of though at least, right? Not AT the dealer of course, but perhaps at my local mechanic once I get it home? What's that 3-5 hundred dollar job?

I am trying to turn over a new leaf as far as car-ownership is concerned this time around. Years of driving a ˟˟˟˟ty, rusted out '98 Ford Ranger that I hated have sort of desensitized me to a cars "needs" :-)

Like, by the time that thing was ready to bite the dust (which was mighty quick, let me tell you!), I literally wouldn't even look under the hood or the body for fear of what terrible surprises might lie in store! I ignored all warning signs until it was too late mostly outta sheer spite for the thing's wretched existence.

I will never treat a car like that again, and hope that a car will never treat me like that again in turn...
The radiator is super easy and only took me less than an hour at most to replace including coolant, that was before I even knew how to replace belts and change diff fluid. Not worth paying someone to do IMO.

It's pretty much drain coolant, take fan shroud out, unbolt old radiator, put in new radiator, put fan shroud back, and put in some new coolant. Also might as well get a new thermostat and radiator cap while your'e at it since they are a cheap insurance.

As for price, I paid $3500 for my '85 SR5 Xtracab Pickup w/ original graphics & tailgate rust with the crazy California graphics. I'd say your'e paying a good price too.

Last edited by Vang530; 05-06-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:24 AM

Thanks Vang!

It does sound pretty easy....

I'm on the verge of doing it myself, just trying to figure out if I will be able to finish the job properly, and what tools I need to do it. I'm set up for bike repairs (avid cyclist) and basic household stuff, but don't really have an arsenal of car repair tools yet.

There was a great little photo-tutorial on here a while back I found by searching, but all the image links were dead!

Just don't want to do it wrong, not realize my mistake, and cause any engine damage, ya know?
Old 05-07-2012, 11:22 AM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
It's Monday...Didyagetityet?

Do you have the factory service manual link? The '88 will be very close to your 4Runner:

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/

Good reading!
Old 05-07-2012, 06:56 PM

Yea I did!

Just drove it back to upstate NY from outside Philly tonite. Handled like a champ. Was extra exciting as well because prior to this week I had never driven stick if you can believe that!

Decided when I started my search several months ago that I wouldn't let the fact I didn't know how to drive a manual deter me from getting one. Many laughed, but I am really happy with my decision.

Will post first impressions and more flicks tomorrow after work--probably in the bigger pics thread-- and may start a build thread too to document whatever little piddly stuff I can afford to do to it. I will post links here if/when I do.

Thanks to all who gave input.

It was extremely helpful....
Old 05-08-2012, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Quote.. Right side tag lamp bulb, radiator leak, Transfer case mount needs rubber replaced, Front diff seal is leaking, exhaust needs to be redone from cat-back, and some oil is leaking from somewhere (they don't know here, and it is minor) The frame is solid, the engine is good, the brakes are good, the transmission is good....Quote

A very basic tool set and you can do alot of the repairs yourself. Get a Haynes manual and if you can afford a Factory Service Manual would be better. You can down load the FSM off here in various places.

There is alot of information, builds and people willing to help you out. Congrats on learning to drive a stick. Most eventually enjoy a stick better overall unless you have lotssss of stop and go traffic and even then it isnt so bad. You also can control the driveability better in bad weather. Taking off in snow with less throttle to keep from spinning out, for example. Just takes practice and learning.

Congrats again.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:07 AM

Yeah so far lovin the stick. Hill starts are a lil tricky from time to time, but I'm getting the rythm down. I imagine in a week or two it'll all be second nature.

The seller--who lurks around here, and is a great guy--actually threw me his Haynes, and I plan on getting or downloading the FSM soon.

I may not do all the repairs myself, but I'd at least like to be somewhat competent at the basics.

Quick Reply: '87 sr5 4runner need opinions (PICS enclosed)