Ozarks Ozarks Chapter

Woohoo! New car shopping time!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's about time! The new Lexus LX is going to be unveiled on April 4th... so this means the new Land Cruiser is likely less than a year away.

I was doing some research on the Armada... according to Consumer Reports, the 06 models had 1/2 the problems of the 04/05 models, but they still had 2.35x as many problems as the "average" large SUV. Land Cruiser, Sequoia, and the new GM trucks were all above average. So even if they cut but the problems in half again for the 07 model year... it's still not going to be as good as those top ranking vehicles.

I don't care if the vehicle doesn't have the best reliability, for there's no way I can recommend a vehicle that has over twice as many problems as the average vehicle (an average that it's drug down!). I figure anything within 50% of the leading vehicle is an excellent choice.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cargun
I don't care if the vehicle doesn't have the best reliability, for there's no way I can recommend a vehicle that has over twice as many problems as the average vehicle (an average that it's drug down!). I figure anything within 50% of the leading vehicle is an excellent choice.
Good point. Who are the top three contenders right now for the spot?

Last edited by colsoncj; 03-14-2007 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:47 PM

Right now I don't think there's anything with the combination of build quality, reliability, and luxury that they're looking for.

I am going to keep an eye out for Land Cruisers with at least $15k off sticker, but I know that's unlikely. He'd probably be willing to get a used one with less than 10k miles on it. I don't see the point in paying over $60k for something as outdated as the Cruiser. Engine, tranny, style (though with Toyota's styling department the new one may be worse!), and depreciaton. I do think the Cruiser would be about perfect, kind of like a Sequoia only more solid and with nicer leather I need to see if the rear seat has as much room as the Sequoia, I think it does... but I'm not sure. I do remember the rear seat itself was almost identical to the Sequoia's, including the ever important recline feature. But my mom really wants buckets, which aren't available in this gen Cruiser.

Or wait till the GM's get the 6 speed tranny. Could go with a Denali now, but they don't have a low range t-case, which comes in handy. It has the buckets that my mom wants, but they aren't that comfortable.

Or roll the dice on the Mercedes GL. Again no buckets, but I think the rest of the vehicle will more than make up for that. They'll probably kill me though if I convince them to spend that much money and it ends up being a total lemon.

I was reading about the Sequoias, and it seems like the 05 and newer ones are worse for squeaks and rattles than the 01-04 ones. But I did find a solution to one of the rattles ours has had since new... I have to take the hood off and dimple the sheet metal with a punch, then reinstall the hood. Toyota approved Technical Service Bulletin. So I doubt a new Sequoia is an option.

But the next gen of Sequoia would be good... the new Tundra has gotten a lot of good comments on chassis rigidity... but I'll have to wait until the new wears off of it before people start giving the real impressions. Just hope the interior isn't as cheap as the new Tundra... Toyota's really behind GM in the interior department now.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Cargun
Toyota's really behind GM in the interior department now.
Thats starting to become more and more apparent... take our conversations about the changes from 2nd gen runners to 3rd gen runners... fit, finish, hell overall rigidity I dont think is as good.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:24 PM

'07 Tundra double cab

or wait til the '08 Sequoia comes out based on the Tundra (5.7L 381hp).

Either way all new cars these days don't seem to be made as solid.
I bought a brand new Infiniti g35 a couple years ago and thing had so many rattles and squeaks I sold it a year later.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:54 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Crux
'07 Tundra double cab
I dont think the double cab has rear buckets though does it? And I think one of the requirements is a SUV rear cargo area, right Hans?

Originally Posted by Crux
I bought a brand new Infiniti g35 a couple years ago and thing had so many rattles and squeaks I sold it a year later.
Thats a little disappointing, I really liked the styling of those and kinda want one.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:44 AM

Yeah, pickups are a no-go, already have one of them. I've tried in the past to talk him into a crew cab diesel and then to pick up a nice car for daily running around. But they really need enclosed storage (topper on a pickup doesn't count, cause then it's no longer a pickup, it's just a SUV that won't let you get at stuff from the rear seat), the SUV's have a better ride, and my mom hates the idea of my dad's pickup doubling as as family vehicle since it gets all dusty, muddy, and dirty.

Nissan has taken Chryslers philosopy for making cars lately. Styling, performance, and features first, quality last. But I've always been unimpressed with the way Nissans held up over time. Just drive an early 90's Pathfinder with 100k miles on it and compare it to a similar 4Runner. It's hard not to laugh when I'm reading on the Titan and Armada forums how people bought those Nissans because of they're superior quality, reliability, and long term durability relative to the American cars. Long term durability is still up in the air since they've only been out since 04, but they aren't even close for the first two.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:59 AM
Banned

My dad just picked up a Chrysler Pacifica for a company car. Its a really nice vehicle for a crossover. 3 rows of seating, 4 captains chairs, heated seats in all 4 of them. It is completely loaded with a Nav system and bluetooth. So far we really like it, only problem is that the transmission is already going out and we dont even have 1000 miles on it.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:38 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Figured I'd piggy back on this thread, if you don't mind....

NOTICE!
For anyone interested in the near or immediate NW Ark area, there is a late 80's model 1st gen. 4rnr for sale....$2,600. It's a 6cyl. all original in pretty good shape. No rust that I've seen. I know the girl who's selling it. She'd probably come down a bit, too.