FJ Cruiser 2007 & on

A day at the beach

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 09:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A day at the beach

The last time I visited Sand Lake near Pacific City, OR, home to The Riverhouse restaurant, some of the best seafood on the Oregon coast, I buried my Taco 4X4 in short order in the deep, soft sand characteristic of the area.

This time was different, very different. I talked with several quad pilots about conditions, tips and tricks, aired down to 20 psi, 4Lo locked, A-TRAC off, and headed out. Bottom line is FJ made me look good. By day's end I was easily running in the deepest, softest stuff I was told to avoid by the quad crowd. I ran the entire park, climbed the steepest dunes and bowls, all with ease.

I think it's a combo of the center and rear lockers plus the ability to disable A-TRAC, and of course the phenomenal Nittos. FJ is nearly unstoppable on the beach. Jaws dropped whenever I approached a group of quads, I was the only street legal vehicle in a few places. I'm sure most any CJ could've done the same, but none were out today. That, combined with FJ newness, drew lots of nice comments and questions from everyone.

I got 20 mpg on the way out, the best yet as the 1GR loosens up. And my MV-50 portable compressor aired up the tires from 20 to 35 in under 2 min. each. Then it was off to Riverhouse for fresh halibut with bay shrimp sauce and home. Does it get any better? Maybe, I'm going back next weekend.

Old 05-14-2006, 01:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BT17R
I ran the entire park, climbed the steepest dunes and bowls, all with ease.
So your saying you didn't need 21 inches of lift?

Sounds like you had some fun. I love halibut and miss the beach!
Old 05-14-2006, 07:14 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Looks like a lotta fun Bob.

I have been reading on quite a few forums that owners of the FJ are very impressed with the off road capabilities of the rig.

I am use to doing dirt roads/trails, ect... and one thing I notice even with your windows up all the way you get a lot of dirt coming in around the door closures, and it ends up on the seats and all over the carpet.
Nothing a quick job with a vac and some Tuff Stuff cleaner and a rag can not handle though.

How is it with the sand?
Does it get everywhere, or does it stay on the outside?
Old 05-14-2006, 08:07 AM
Contributing Member

Corey, interesting you mention that. Except for sandy front floor mats, you couldn't even tell I'd been to the beach. FJ is very well sealed. I kept windows up since I was throwing sand everywhere during hillclimbs and power slides. A/C was on, set to fresh air and blower on med-high to pressurize the interior. Other than shaking out the mats, there's no other interior cleanup needed. I'll wash the exterior and pressure wash the undercarriage tomorrow.

Next time I'll strap my cargo carrier to the tie-down loops. On a couple of jumps I could see it floating near the ceiling in the rear view mirror!
Old 05-14-2006, 08:31 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
That is good to know Bob.
During the summer I put the AC on and have the windows up almost all the way when I am off road if the dust is flying.

Not that I do not want dirt/dust coming in, but I have suffered from allergies all of my life, and I go into sneezing fits around the stuff.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:24 AM
Contributing Member

FJ has standard cabin micron air filtration. It's easily replaced, located under/behind the glove box. Even on-road driving they get gummed up in about six months, so more frequently for you. The Toyota filter is around $10 IIRC, but you can buy filter media from Home Depot and cut your own to size for $4.