93-98 T100s All T100 trucks

Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 11:03 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vibration

This problem WILL NOT GO AWAY IT SEEMS and I am at my wits end. If I cant cure it I am gonna sell the truck.

Now onto my vibration:
At take off you feel what I can only describe as perhaps a stutter/wiggle. When you take off it almost feels as if something is wiggling around. The t-case lever actually wiggles side to side during this takeoff and seems to move alot more than I would expect. At higher (btwen 35-50+) speed there is a slight vibe, no stutter/wiggle but the vibe remains. It happens under moderate acceleration, coasting or light acceleration and you cant feel it at all.

I have:
-Had it to a driveshaft shop where they apparently replaced some kinda stud, and balanced my driveshaft and replaced the carrier bearing. He said the driveline is good..

-I had the guys at my shop check all the mounts. The motor mounts seem fine, the tranny mount had some play but very little. Transfer case looked as if it may have touched the underside of the cab body, slight rub mark there-perhaps with torque it rubs..i dunnno.

-When changing gears it clunks into gear in R or D. I was assured my U-joints are fine, but I am thinking the clunking means they arent. The driveshaft guy said he woulda replaced them otherwise.

-Last thing is the shifter linkage will not work properly. You must jamb it into park and even then if your on an incline the truck rolls slightly and it locks into park. I have adjusted it 2x now and for awhile its fine, then it gets sloppy again. Thinking its related to the u joints too.

So I have a tranny mount coming monday and gonna try that, if that dont work I am gonna do u-joints. I cannot think of anything and I mean anything else possible that could cause this besides perhaps I damaged something while 4 wheeling and having no other t100 to compare it to on hand I cant narrow something like that down.

Like I said, if it cant be cured its a money pit and I think ill go buy an F250.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Having a similar problem atleast with the shifter and the vibration when letting of the gas, i'm going to take it into the mechanic tomorrow and have everything looked at. hopefully it's nothing too big (hoping its just the u-joints) and i can fix it myself. good luck.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That does sounds like a weird vibration. Do you drive around in overdrive all the time? and have you ever checked your gears, gear chatter usually causes different symtoms but it could be an idea to check your ring gear for wear or chipped teath perhaps? sounds crappy though, just have to eliminate every possible problem. Oh last but not least, your D shaft could be outa phase, i sure hope you local drive shaft knows to mark it when they take it out of the spline but maybe not? the ears on the d-shaft have to line up or it can cause some hefty vibration.

So: 1)Do you drive around in overdrive all the time?
2)Is your ring and pinion gears in good shape?gear oil looking good?
3)D-shaft in phase?

Haha sorry i cant be more help, hope it works out for you
Old 04-14-2008, 06:33 AM
CJM

Originally Posted by Justinvd
That does sounds like a weird vibration. Do you drive around in overdrive all the time? and have you ever checked your gears, gear chatter usually causes different symtoms but it could be an idea to check your ring gear for wear or chipped teath perhaps? sounds crappy though, just have to eliminate every possible problem. Oh last but not least, your D shaft could be outa phase, i sure hope you local drive shaft knows to mark it when they take it out of the spline but maybe not? the ears on the d-shaft have to line up or it can cause some hefty vibration.

So: 1)Do you drive around in overdrive all the time?
2)Is your ring and pinion gears in good shape?gear oil looking good?
3)D-shaft in phase?

Haha sorry i cant be more help, hope it works out for you
Oh yea, I chnged the gear oil to be sure it wasnt that about a month ago, over drive or drive it dont matter it still goes it. and d-shaft is in phase, we marked it ourselves when i checked it over before the d-shaft guy worked on it-it has never been touched otherwise.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's really wierd. I figured you had gotten it fixed by now. I hate to say it but it really does sound like a u-joint except for the shifter linkage thing.My friends camaro transs would jump when he hit the gas and it was caused by a ujoint. The shifter and trans would jump about 2-3". unless maybe the shifter linkage is so badly worn that it is pushing on the shift rod in the trans just enough to push it slightly out of gear and causing the trans to slip enough to cause the vibration. now that was a very extreme concocted idea but sometimes the strangest things can happen. or it could be something as simple as a u-joint or trans mount. let us know what you find if you do find something. Good luck.

Last edited by Froggy93; 04-15-2008 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:01 PM
CJM

Well found something interesting when we went to change out the trans mount. Both rubber mounting blocks had become separated at all corners, possible cause.. Sadly the mount we ordered is not right and the only place that has one is the stealer. So waiting on it for now to come..

If that doesnt cure it, its getting motor mounts by another shop. I am having it repaired at a friends shop and of course it doesnt take priority over the shop work and other stuff, but still it seems to take 2 weeks to get it fixed as the mechanic does it in his offtime. Course I pay only for the part and buy the buy a 12 pack but still..

Next step is taking it back to my old mechanic, telling him to have it fixed in 2 weeks and thats it. Vibe, shifter issue and such, all fixed.