93-98 T100s All T100 trucks

T100 - when coming to complete stop, should there be a movement when brake released?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T100 - when coming to complete stop, should there be a movement when brake released?

Just wondering, because on one of the T100s I have driven, when I came to a stop- at the complete stop, it felt like something "moved" when it stopped. There were occasions when I released the brake that it felt like something "released" when I released the brake- or like there was some "slack" somewhere that released when I released the brakes. Something that I could feel through the truck body. I drove TWO Tacomas that did the exact thing. Is this something normal I am experiencing? Possibly a univeral joint releasing some slack? Hopefully what I am trying to explain makes sense.

Thanks.

Last edited by Tennesseestorm; 10-27-2006 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:08 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nothing I ever noticed, when you brake hard the nose of the truck goes down with the suspension and then comes backup when you release the brakes..that maybe it?
Old 10-27-2006, 09:49 PM

No, its more like something has "clunked" (but without the sound) when the brake is released from a stop (like when you have stopped at a traffic light) then release the brakes. Its like there is slack somewhere that releases when you release the brake. All three I have driven have done it.

Hopefully its not the differential w/worn gears.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:59 PM
CJM

Thats really odd, my truck doesnt do it at all but then again maybe I dont notice it.. Could be the driveshaft engaging/disengaging or maybe some other part.

I wouldnt worry about...
Old 10-27-2006, 10:03 PM

OK. Thanks. I may go with this T100. I should know by late tomorrow evening.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:06 PM
CJM

Good luck with it all, and most important of all be happy with what you get..
Old 10-27-2006, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm
Just wondering, because on one of the T100s I have driven, when I came to a stop- at the complete stop, it felt like something "moved" when it stopped. There were occasions when I released the brake that it felt like something "released" when I released the brake- or like there was some "slack" somewhere that released when I released the brakes. Something that I could feel through the truck body. I drove TWO Tacomas that did the exact thing. Is this something normal I am experiencing? Possibly a univeral joint releasing some slack? Hopefully what I am trying to explain makes sense.

Thanks.
Mine does it all the time. I think it is just the suspension torquing one way and then the other with all that weight on it.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:09 PM

Thanks. Good to know its nothing major.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:17 PM

its your drive shaft angle due to your springs starting to sag and throwing off the drive line angle, u can try greasing up the slip joint on the drive shaft but your problems just gonna come back, the fix would be to get new leaf springs, there many posts about this and a lot of info on the subject just search.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:06 PM

Thanks. Would it damage the driveshaft driving it like this? If not, it seems like something I could easily live with.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:23 PM
Contributing Member

So basically, this topic has been confusing and annoying the poop out of me (and others) for many many years. About 1 for me . No one had a definitive answer except play in the driveshaft. The fix is to add lube by squirting it into the zerks on the driveshaft. But this has to be done VERY often to avoid the problem at hand because the lube escapes very quickly and ends up at the bottom of your car and the asphalt. Here's an explanation of the problem.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...o/3576517.html

If you read the article you'll see that some car manufacturers had to recall their trucks to repack them with grease because some don't have zerks. Well, Toyota's have too many, which can be good and bad. Some people say that the clunk exists from day one, off the showroom floor, which can be believed after reading about WHY it happens. I on the other hand don't believe that.

My reasoning is that it's just fine until maintenance is performed on it. No matter where, dealer, yourself of quick lube place, the tendancy is to overfill the driveshaft and joints with grease which causes its seals to blow and spill grease quickly and clunk only days after re-lube.

The fix? For me it will be finding exactly which zerk helps when you re-fill it and either re-fill it often if the maintenance period is months or just replace the driveshaft and make sure no one else adds grease to that except me, and then only one pump every maintenance period.

Truth is, it doesn't hurt anything, but it's a big annoyance. I personally hate those.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm
Thanks. Would it damage the driveshaft driving it like this? If not, it seems like something I could easily live with.
Not sure if the Taco/4Runner boys know this, but the T100 has a two-piece rear driveshaft. This alone does cause some movement, though not much. My truck, after getting under it yesterday to grease it, has some worn out front suspension bushings and parts that need replaced. My sway bar isn't even attached on one side due to punching it through the lower control arm mount (it's mounted in rubber, it broke through). This is at 180,000 miles. I'm fine with it happening, the truck had been used hard before I bought it.

By the way, the Pop Mechanics article that was mentioned did not even cover a part which we have on our trucks. It talks about drivetrains that use slipyokes on the driveshaft going in to the tranny, and how to grease those. WE DON'T HAVE THEM. HEEPS DO. The article really didn't have anything to do with a 4x4 Toyota truck, as it doesn't have that specific problem. At least not the T100s.

Last edited by BlackToySteve; 10-30-2006 at 08:18 AM.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Firefightertaco
its your drive shaft angle due to your springs starting to sag and throwing off the drive line angle, u can try greasing up the slip joint on the drive shaft but your problems just gonna come back, the fix would be to get new leaf springs, there many posts about this and a lot of info on the subject just search.
I very much doubt it.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:35 PM

To update, I never got the T100... the dealer that had it tried to pull a fast one on me. I ended up buying a 2000 Tundra V8 4wd (which I have already sold), and it also have that "thud" when I came to a stop. Seems like its just a common Toyota truck trait. I was told that if I had the joints/yolks filled with grease, it would stop. I took it to the dealer to have it done, but it did not help it. I do not think they put enough grease in it.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:32 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackToySteve
Not sure if the Taco/4Runner boys know this, but the T100 has a two-piece rear driveshaft. This alone does cause some movement, though not much.

By the way, the Pop Mechanics article that was mentioned did not even cover a part which we have on our trucks. It talks about drivetrains that use slipyokes on the driveshaft going in to the tranny, and how to grease those. WE DON'T HAVE THEM. HEEPS DO. The article really didn't have anything to do with a 4x4 Toyota truck, as it doesn't have that specific problem. At least not the T100s.

What?

A slip yoke is a slip yoke. ALL driveshafts have them. Thusly, it does have something to do with a 4x4 Toyota truck. Which could VERY WELL have that problem, including T-100's w/2-piece driveshafts. And for some reason I have a hard time believing that you know for a fact that ALL T-100's have 2-piece rear driveshafts anyway.

And exactly HOW does a 2-piece driveshaft setup "cause some movement". Of what kind?

Teach me more!(please......as if)