93-98 T100s All T100 trucks

96' T100 - axles - auto disconnect or manual?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96' T100 - axles - auto disconnect or manual?

Hello. New here and need some help.

The repair shop I called today to replace the front axles said it said w/or w/out auto disconnect..... It is a 96' T100 4x4... does anyone know?

non-auto is $238 for both sides. Auto is ???? he did not say. Probably out of this world.

Thanks for any help!
Old 10-05-2006, 03:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm pretty sure all of the T100's had ADD - meaning they did not have manual hubs, but drive flanges/plates.

With that being said, I think all the ADD stuff is past where the CV's would end. As far as I know, the CV axles would be the same in either case (whether the truck is equipped with ADD or not).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 10-07-2006, 05:44 PM

Pretty sure? I cannot even get the dealer to call me back to tell me.

I guess I will pass on it and buy a 2003 Tundra SR5 2wd instead. Thanks.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:20 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They had ADD on them, should be pretty easy to swap th manual hubs as my 96 T100 has them. See this post towards the bottom and it will explain more: http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showfl...5&o=14&fpart=1

Here is some more on different types of hubs yota use(d): http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/autohub/

Dump ADD and have them put manual hubs in, either warn or aisin. I have warns as they came with the truck and I am happy. It should be pretty cheap, the T100 is a far better truck than a Tundra minust he v8 anyways, better frame, better suspension imho, and the box is alot tougher.

Last edited by CJM; 10-07-2006 at 06:22 PM.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:45 PM

Thanks. What exactly is this ADD (or auto disconnect)? Whats the difference between auto and manual? Is it just the difference between auto locking hubs and manual? I am not very bright on these things.

The T100 is a 96' SR5 V6 automatic extended cab, loaded to the max. Exterior looks fine (white), but the blue interior has saw some heavy use on the seats. Lotsa stains and some holes- nothing a seat cover will not fix? As mentioned, the CV covers are busted, check engine light illuminated and it has an occassional slight miss at idle. Dad said he would be more concerned with the miss, as it could be anything with the engine. I am going to see if the dealer will replace them to see if it smooths the engine out. If so, I may buy it. They want $5800 (which seems fair according to value guides), but this is a new Toyota dealership, so anything they have is going to be high.

Last edited by Tennesseestorm; 10-07-2006 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:17 PM
CJM

Basically it allows for shift on the fly of 4wd, I always found this pointless as who is gonna shift into 4wd asap? Stop and shift, it may not engage till you roll back and foward, etc.

This will explain it more and better: http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/add/

5800 seems high with the interior shape, cv boots busted - this could be bad, and a slight miss and a cel (check engine light). I wouldnt buy it unless they warranty it for at least 30 days and the HG was fixed as its part of the head gasket recall.

Your dad is right about the miss, there is no telling what it could be. Like I said you want a warranty for 30 days in the least or 3-6 months if you can swing it. Your spending almost 6k on a truck that may have engine problems, need new cv boots (god knows what inside could be like), an ok interior and it may not have had the headgasket recall as well as the recall for the steering rack, and cruise control.

Overall I say you talk to them about all of this, make sure they realize your not idiots and see how they go. Either they lower the price alot, say 4k if none of the recalls were done, the interior condition, etc-or fix the stuff before you buy it and warranty the work.

If they wont do that if you really want a T100 keep looking. I found my gem but it took about 2 years and I was also looking into 3.4L runners and tacos. Mine thankgod was carefully maintained and has few problems, only thing that I need to do is install some new shocks and rotors/pads. The guy meticulously maintained it and it had alot of new parts (including an engine) with reciepts from the local dealership (actually the only one that doesnt jerk you around I find) so for a 184k, 10 year old truck in superb if not almost 90% shape I paid 7200.

A tundra is nice but will eat you alive in gas mileage and unlike the t100 which is built in japan it isnt built quite as well. Not to say it isnt built well, but you cannot compare american toyota to jap yota's.

Last edited by CJM; 10-07-2006 at 10:28 PM.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:57 AM

Thanks. I will talk to them and see what I can do. I do not think anyone else will pay this for this truck. I had called about another T100 (95 model) and the man said he bought it nearly new and around 8K, the head gasket blew and it was replaced under warranty. I did not know there was a recall on the 3.4L engines for the HG. I went to consumer reports and that recall is not mentioned. Strange. His has 191K and he said he has not had a minutes more trouble out of it. He is asking $5K for his, but I am not wild about the color. He said he once "gutted" the converter, which he said he knows is illegal, so it will need one of those. I may look at it today if I have time.

The 03' Tundra I am considering is $9000. 122K, and is the V6, 2wd model, extended cab SR5. Has a couple of dings/scratches, but nothing bad. Bad thing is I would have to meet the owner 1/2 way- which is about 3 hours. I hate to commit to buy something unseen though.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:06 AM
CJM

2wd is pretty pointless imho, it is cheap b/c no one really wants them.

As for the 95 T100, run away as it has a 3.0L engine that is notorious for HG issues time and time again and it has no real power.

In 96 both 4runners, T100's and tacomas have a HG recall. All early models, after that they are all fine.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:49 AM

Thanks. Yeah, I really wanted a 4wd, but around here it is really useless the more I think about it. We do not get much snow here and it is rarely on the road for more than a few hours. We have another 4wd we use if we have to get out in bad weather.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:05 PM
CJM

Yea but if you do get 4wd you can offroad, if you dont plan on doing it then dont bother with a 4wd-but if you do your gonna need a whole new vehicle, its pretty annoying to convert a 2wd to 4wd.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:31 PM

Thanks. Yeah, I do not plan any off-roading either, but it would be nice to know the 4WD was there if I needed it.

You had mentioned that the 95' was a 3.0L model. I asked him about this and he said it had the 3.4L. He said something about the 3.4L being optional in 1995. He said the truck had 5K when he bought it and at 8500 the gasket blew, but was replaced under warranty. He said shortly after, there was a recall on them. He said he has not had a minutes trouble since. It now has 191K. It actually looks like the truck in your avatar. Here are photos of it. He said it had a leaky rear grease seal and would need to be replaced and brake replaced too. Other than that, he said it was fine. Should I still steer clear? I keep thinking for $4K more, I can get the 03' with less miles and more features (ABS, CD, bigger cab, etc), except no 4WD.
Attached Thumbnails 96' T100 - axles - auto disconnect or manual?-95-t100.jpg   96' T100 - axles - auto disconnect or manual?-95-t100-2.jpg  

Last edited by Tennesseestorm; 10-08-2006 at 08:45 PM. Reason: added info
Old 10-08-2006, 09:36 PM
CJM

Well if it does have the 3.4L that doesnt add up b/c it must be a late, late late 95 model or a early 96. They offered iirc the 3.4L in 95 but very late in the year..though I could be wrong.. Either way a 3.4L is a good reason to buy, the 3.0 is horrible but since the guy had his 3.4L fixed all should be well.

It sounds like a very good deal compared to the tundra, which maybe a nicer truck. His may have ABS, my 96 has abs since its an sr5 model-his appears to be since it has the sr5 wheels and looks identical to mine.

The seal shouldnt be big problem, max 250-500 bucks to fix, probably much less.

It is your money and gonna be your truck, but I can tell you right now if you get a 4wd sometime later you will find your gonna need to use it. Never know when or why, I can recall getting stuck in sandy soil on a trail in a campground and was very happy when I had 4wd as I woulda had to get creative otherwise. Whatever you choose at least its a toyota and you will be happy for that.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:24 PM

Thanks. I asked him and he said he had no idea if it had ABS. I think it was optional in 1995. He said it was indeed a 3.4L. I had went to another Toyota site and I had a couple of folks reply and say that the 3.4L was the engine in the T100- at least the later 95' T100. Especially since the "95.5" Tacoma had the 3.4L, I guess it was added in the T100 as well. Someone said it was mentioned in some sort of a "TIS" manual that the 3.4L was in 1995 T100. Now it is slightly coming back to me. In early 1995, I was strongly considering a 95' T100 DX ext cab 2wd. I am pretty sure it had the 3.4L, because I faintly remember the salesman raving about the "new" 3.4L V6 being so much better than the old 3.0L. There were still a couple of the 94's on the lot, with the 3.0L and he kept trying to "steer" me away from those.

Anyway, to update about the 96' T100 - it is definitely OUT! The salesman called today and said that something bad happened to the trucks engine. Obviously they were moving it to another place on the lot and he said it started making a horrible noise, stalled out and would not restart. Thank Heavens I did not buy that truck last week!

I am going to try to look at the 95' T100 tomorrow and check it out. Since the HG was replaced at 8K and it now has 191K, without any issues since, surely it is OK now? Still, I keep thinking for $4,000 more, I can get a 8 year old newer Tundra with the only lacking feature being 4WD, which I really do not need, but would be nice to have. I guess it will have to come down to a choice of which style I like better. Its tough- I like them both!
Old 10-10-2006, 07:21 PM
CJM

I think the 95 is a sure bet, its really up to you with what you get but it seems everyone who buys a 2wd eventually sells it and buys a 4wd.

Atleast they are both yota!

Good luck
Old 10-10-2006, 08:10 PM

Thanks. BTW - how many miles are on your T100? Did it have the head gasket replaced and if so, what mileage?

Thanks..
Old 10-11-2006, 12:51 PM
CJM

Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm
Thanks. BTW - how many miles are on your T100? Did it have the head gasket replaced and if so, what mileage?

Thanks..
I am the 3rd owner of my truck, it has 185k on it and looks like it has 50k on it.

I really lucked out, it had the recall done to it as preventative maintinence by the 2nd owner as it had ran fine for the first guy (who was #2 owners buddy).

Upon doing it they gave me an entire new engine minus the head which was put back on. I have an engine with 50k on it, no issues at all for my HG either.

After 96 yota corrected thier mistake and its rare for a 3.4L to have HG issues.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:24 PM

Wow. Sounds like a really great truck. There is another here I found locally, a 1997 SR5 ext. cab, but it is a 2wd. If I got a T100, I would definitely want the 4wd version of that truck.

Also, just available is a 2000 Tundra SR5 access cab, V8-auto, 4wd, with 165K for $8100 nego. I think I can get it for about $7900. 2-owner and in VGC.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:48 PM
CJM

Sounds like a deal for that tundra, just understand your mog will be 14mpg city if your lucky.

I like my T100, it wont tow an insane amount, nor is the payload a heck of alot but it will do what I want-wheel, haul most junk and is a fun truck that drive so smooth-I used to own a 92 F250.

I dont like the tundras, they just dont seem as rugged as the older pick ups are. More like they took a car and threw the body of a truck on it. Not bad trucks, but the bed imho is flimsy compared to the other yota trucks and the truck is just more luxary than ruggedness imho.

Whatever you do you will be happy though.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:44 AM

If you dont mind me asking...how much did you find th 97 T100 2wd for??

you keep saying for another 4grand you could get a tundra.

just wondering how low-priced these t100's you're looking at are.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:29 PM

I'm the 2nd owner of a 1995 (built in July) 3.4L 4x4 xcab SR5(no ABS). GREAT TRUCK. I got it in 03 with 86k, and now it has 167k. All I did was the suspension recall, idler arm, timing belt, some brake pads, and the usual tune up stuff. The A/T drives great although it throws a code upon startup (suspect solenoid was replaced, but the ECU can't figure it out).
I just bought a little daily driver so I can keep some miles of the T100 (because I want to keep it forever.)

Headgasket? I have not had any trouble with mine, but I'm wondering if the free replacement is still an option, or if I would want to get in to that if there is no sign of an issue. (the VIN # doesn't say I need a recall.)

Quick Reply: 96' T100 - axles - auto disconnect or manual?