General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck won't start

I have a 88 toyota pick up with a 92 3.0 v6 .I accidentally put a screw into the main wire that goes to the main 80 amp fuze and blew the fuze out.I replaced the fuze but the truck won't start.I checked all the other fumes both inside the cab, and under the hood and all are fine.I checked to see if the coil is putting out spark and it is not. Is there a hidden inline fuze or something else that would be keeping it from starting?any help would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks Bryan
Old 11-26-2015, 01:45 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

So it does crank ??

Just does not start ??

Any other electrical circuits not working??

You checked the fuses with a meter ??

You fixed the wire that you screwed ??

You have looked for other burnt and melted wires??

Just how did you fix this??

Crimp and solder and heat shrink??

Just why did you do this??
Old 11-26-2015, 02:06 PM

I was installing the windshield washer bottle and the screw was striped so I used a self taper hey head screw and it just barely knocked the white wire that goes to the 80 amp fuze.
I fixed it with some tape and checked all the fuze with a meter.
It cranks but doesn't start, no spark.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:21 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Look for other burnt or melted wires.the fusible links

Then the no start could be unrelated to the wire issue

Coil wire or others wires get knocked loose while working in the engine bay??
Old 11-27-2015, 05:29 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Are you getting the 80 amp fuse wire confused with the a white wire where the washer bottle goes? The 80 comes out of the fuse block and goes to the battery cable.

If you ran a self tapping screw thru the core support, to hold the washer bottle and into the headlight harness, which is considerably quite aways from the 80 amp wire, I don't think you hit the 80 amp wire.

There is a white wire that if you look at an electrical diagram, that some how basically is some what connected to the alternator and eventually connects to the main harness in the dash. I am wondering if that is the white wire you are seeing.

The headlight harness, is easily removed. Disconnect it from the fuse box on the fender and loosen the top of the radiator and tilt back slightly to the rear of the truck and there is a black plastic box on the drivers fender that you can open the cover and remove a nut.

Then there are some squeeze tabs that you just release to get the harness out and could open the harness up and see if there is any other damage that you may have missed. You might be able to do a resistance check from one end of the harness to the other and see if you have continuity.

This headlight harness does run over to the coil and am sure it helps provide power to the coil but could be wrong on that.

Last edited by Terrys87; 11-27-2015 at 05:31 AM.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:52 PM

I don't think I knock any wires loose. It was the radiator over flow bottle on the drivers side. The wire was a big white wire that goes to the 80 amp fuze in the fuze box under the hood.I don't know we're the other side goes to but many It fried the coil and igniter that goes on top of coil. I looked for burn wires and can't find any, and can't find the head light black box that you are talking about. The truck is a 88 extra cab with the 92 4 runner v6 engine in it so it might be different under the hood than other trucks.what steps can I do to start testing different things like coil, igniter ext.? It turns over but no spark could I have damaged the computer?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Bryan
Old 11-29-2015, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
A Hayne Manual has a good test for the coil, just a few resistanc checks that can be made. Not much the home mechanic can do to test the Igniter. I dont have the best understningn the spark side so I have to follow a Haynes Manual for most of that. If you can find a copy of the FSM on WayBack Time website, it might help you better.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:07 PM

OK I will try that ,Thanks