General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof-mount fog wiring - where do you run the wires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roof-mount fog wiring - where do you run the wires?

I'm thinking about installing roof-mount lamps on a 2007 Toyota FJ - is there a place on the OEM roof rack system that allows wires to pass into the head liner/cabin, or will I have to drill a hole someplace? Obviously, I'd rather not drill any holes (which I'll have to seal to prevent rust and to keep from looking crappy), if there's a place that Toyota has intended for this purpose.

Note that my FJ currently does NOT have the roof rack installed - it's on order form my dealer and they'll be installing it when it comes in. If there's nothing that is intended as a wiring pass-through as part of the OEM rack, is there something you recommend I ask the dealership guys to do while they're cutting into the roof to allow wires to pass? Or does the roof rack just bolt to threaded holes already on the roof? I see some plastic-looking covers in places that could be mounting hard points...

Thanks!
Old 01-01-2008, 09:11 PM

If the dealer is putting on the rack they can at least run the wires for you and let you hook up the rest.

but fog lights on the roof?...
Old 01-01-2008, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by AuburnRunner
If the dealer is putting on the rack they can at least run the wires for you and let you hook up the rest.

but fog lights on the roof?...
Yes - I mean DRIVING/OFF ROAD lights of course... Proper fogs are mounted low, I know... I used the term generically.

I don't have my lamps yet, so I don't have the harness it will need... That's why I was wondering if there were an existing way to run wires through the OEM roof rack system (perhaps through the tubular steel of the rack itself, the into the roof though that tube steel?).