General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED tail light retro '99 Tacoma, pics!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 10:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LED tail light retro '99 Tacoma, pics!

Since Ive got my forward lighting done, i figured that i would do the tails, I'm using 64 red/orange Lumileds SuperFlux LED's per side for the park/brake light, and around 50 amber LED's for the turn per side (haven't got the turn boards done yet).
I bought a pair of red/clear taillights to use for this project, so far i have both park/brake boards done and am going to start on the turn boards this weekend, or sooner if i find time, i bought a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) regulator to control the park/brake function, and am using voltage regulators for the turn LED's.

I'm sure most of what i said is foreign to some of you, but when i get more time i can explain it more in depth if anyone is interested, now onto some pics

The red/clear taillight:

Brake board fitment:

Back of brake board:

PWM

Park mode:

Brake mode:

Let me know what you think
Old 01-14-2008, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That looks awesome man! Very nice.

A few questions...
1) Where are you going to mount the regulator? Do you need just one, or one for each side?
2) Did you have to heat the lights in order to get the lenses off?
3) Could your average Joe with some electrical knowledge do this project or is it a little more complicated? Just looking at the back of the brake board gives me a headache!
4) Any plans to do the front turn signals and/or corner lights?
Old 01-14-2008, 10:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pdyebrasil
That looks awesome man! Very nice.

A few questions...
1) Where are you going to mount the regulator? Do you need just one, or one for each side?
2) Did you have to heat the lights in order to get the lenses off?
3) Could your average Joe with some electrical knowledge do this project or is it a little more complicated? Just looking at the back of the brake board gives me a headache!
4) Any plans to do the front turn signals and/or corner lights?
1. i plan on mounting the PWM in some kind of sealed container above the spare tire, the PWM controls both side park/brake functions, each turn signal with have a small regulator (about the size of your thumbnail)

2. no, once the mounting screws are removed the lens pretty much falls off

3. lol, i would consider myself an average "Joe" when it comes to this stuff, i just did a lot of reading on Hidplanet, and asked azdave some questions i had (BTW, i bought the PWM and LED's from him, great guy to deal with and very helpful)

4. yes I'm planning on doing the 3rd brake light and front turn signals, my side markers already have "PNP" LED's