General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BIG 3 wire upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 90 4x4 22RE and i dont have a cabel going directly to the alternator like explained in this thread. I had a positive going to the starter and to fuse box. Negative going to the block and grounded to the chasis by the fuse box. I think I have that correct. Is this normal?
Old 03-10-2007, 01:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
It's thru the wiring harness to the alternator (or actually to the battery from the alternator.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:27 PM
LK1

I'm bumping this because I went to do the "Big 3" upgrade and had questions I couldn't find answers to anywhere. Here is what I did:

2 Gauge wire from negative battery terminal to engine block below oil filter (removed and replaced stock wire inside loom)

Cleaned and reinstalled ground from back of engine to firewall. Wiring looked to be 4 gauge.

Didn't see a negative wire directly from my battery to the body

People are saying to upgrade the wiring from the alternator to the positive battery terminal.

In my 4 Runner (98 Limited 3.4) the power wire (white) from the alternator enters the bottom of the fuse box and connects at a junction box on top. There is another wire (white) that exits the fuse box that connects to the positive terminal of the battery (I am asssuming this is the fusible link).

Here are my questions:

Should there be a ground wire from negative terminal of battery directly to the body? (This would be easy since I would just expose some bare metal near the battery and add another ground wire to the negative terminal)

How do I beef up the positive wire from the alternator? There is limited room for the wire that enters the fuse box now and I haven't cracked the fuse box to examine how and where the wire (is this the fusible link?) from the fuse box to the battery is connected.

I am doing this because I have a high output alternator that failed, which I intend to replace with the GM CS-144 140 amp mod.

Should I just run another fused wire (i found a 100 amp circuit breaker) directly from the alternator to the battery?

Does hooking up another wire directly from the alternator to the battery boost the power going to my accessories or am I better off running the larger wire into the fuse box and then out to the positive terminal? (Most of my accesories, lights, power amps, etc. are directly connected and fused to the positive terminal of the battery) If I am running the bigger wire through the fuse box do I fuse it between the alternator and fuse box or the battery and the fuse box?

Sorry to ask so many questions but I searched everywhere and did not find answers that made sense. I love my 4Runner and don't want to see it burn to the ground.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:58 PM

Thanks for this info
Old 09-18-2011, 10:54 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Smile

Interesting I did read most of this thread.

I didn`t see any where but may have missed it about upgrading the main positive cable from the battery to the starter.

This is something I have always done.When upgrading the rest of the charging system

As far as a ground wire I just run two off the battery one to the inner fender one to the engine block.

Of course any equipment is grounded to the battery.

Most vehicles I come across have all sorts of interesting things on the charging systems