General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

back-up lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 11:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 182 Likes on 127 Posts
sweeeet James!!!
Old 11-25-2009, 11:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tc
x2 - there just isn't any reason to use halogen lights for this kind of stuff (rocklights, backup, work area) anymore. Eliminate the strain on the electrical system and just go with LED.
Those LED lights just don't look very bright.. It may just be that the picture doesn't do the lights justice..
Old 11-25-2009, 09:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
so i have to come to find out that the reason i cant see ANYTHING AT ALL when im backing up at night is because my stock lights arent even coming on all the time.

i went to back out of my girlfriends driveway the other night, i shifted into reverse, turned my head backward to see where i was going and presto! light!....i was amazed because i realized it was either my switch or something wasnt hitting the switch properly in my manual transmission. so i started wriggling my shifter and watched the lights go on and off. but i wasnt leaving reverse while doing this.

so now im wondering whats up with my backup lights, and why they dont always work
Old 11-26-2009, 08:57 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by blue_CA_yota
Those LED lights just don't look very bright.. It may just be that the picture doesn't do the lights justice..
It's not often that you can accurately capture the amount of light given off, halogen or not, LED or not, through pictures. It's tricky to get exposure times correct in a dark situation.

Think of an LED flashlight, it's very bright. I'm willing to bet that James Dean's backup lights are plenty sufficient. Looks good, J!
Old 11-26-2009, 09:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shaeff
It's not often that you can accurately capture the amount of light given off, halogen or not, LED or not, through pictures. It's tricky to get exposure times correct in a dark situation.

Think of an LED flashlight, it's very bright. I'm willing to bet that James Dean's backup lights are plenty sufficient. Looks good, J!
and with the outside lighting of his house that adds to the picture quality..

The point I was getting at, which I failed to make clear, is would these be bright enough on a trail, or backing into a driveway with absolutely no other light source? My dim original lights don't work, so I'd be relying strictly on these LED's for reward visibility..

Does the amount of strain you reduce on the electrical system justify the reduced amount of light? The longest at a time I'd be using these lights is 60 seconds at a time, I don't really comprehend the need for energy saving LED's.

and LED flashlights are really bright, but not at a distance I find.. it is probably because they've got a smaller focus point that they don't "throw" light very far