Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 06:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Auxiliary Back-Up Lamps

Tractor Lamps Installed As Auxiliary Back Up Lamps
installed on a 2nd gen 4Runner

10/28/2002

Corey shows you how he added some bright lights for the rear of his 4Runner to provide light for camping, off roading, where extra light is needed.

The problem with the stock back-up lamps on just about any rig is they are not bright enough for when you are out in the woods. Say you need to setup for camp after arriving after dark, or you are out wheelin' and you need to backup under heavy tree canopy even during the day. The stock ones just don't cut it.

I had some auxiliary ones on there, but they were not very bright at all. These are very bright. 4Wheeler magazine had an article in it on using tractor lamps available from any Napa Auto Part store. The article said you can swap out the lens that is in the rubber housing for 100 w ones. I did not choose to do that yet, and saved myself close to $30 by using the stock lens that comes with them. Believe me, the stock lens is plenty bright.

The stock black power wire coming out of the housing is 16 gauge the magazine article said. If you intend on swapping over ot the 100 w lens, they recommend you use a 12 gauge wire.

The part numbers listed here is what you will need to do this mod to your rig. Napa part # 50-620w-3 is the tractor lamp. You need two of them which is the housing, and a 50 watt lens/bulb. $8.99 each. If you want the 100 w lens, here is the info. Napa part # is 4509 for the 100 w len/bulb.
They go for $14.88 each.

The lamps only have one black wire coming out of the housing. That is your power wire. The mount on the lamps will be your ground. The hole where the wire comes out is not sealed with a rubber plug such as on a Hella driving lamp. It would be a good idea to get some silicone and dab some around the hole to keep water out of the assembly.

To put these on, I first drilled a pilot hole in my hitch receiver, then worked up to my 1/4" drill bit. Still to small though, but with the last drill bit, I went all the way through the top tube also. I then got out a 13/32" drill bit I had from when I mounted a set of Hella 500s on my old stock bumper up front before I got the ARB. Drilling with that big bit and a 9.6 v Sear cordless drill was a challenge but I was able to break through the top side after switching out batteries. Drilling into the receiver stock is best left for a higher voltage drill.

If you are going to drill into the receiver like I did, you will need longer mounting carriage bolts. I used 5/16x18x3", and they are stainless steel so they won't rust on me. Got these at Lowe's Hardware for around $6.50 or so.
Four came to a pack, though you only use two. No need to buy extra nuts and lock washers, as the ones that come with the tractor lamps will work.

I am very impressed with these lamps. They are bright, so much brighter than the ones I had before as you will see a comparison in the pictures below.
These are wired up to one single hot line going to a relay under the hood.
They are wired exactly like you would a set of Hella 500 lamps, and I'm using the same Toyota switch that powers all my other lamps which is part # 00550-35976, and can be found at your local Toyota dealer for under $15.

These hang down a tad more than the others, but I'm not worried about it. Most of my wheelin' is not where I am going up steep inclines where I'm going to end up ripping these off. I am getting a custom bumper fabbed up for back there in the future, and the lamps will be up much higher then. Might even be able to mount the lamps inside the bumper. That will be a mod for next year.

OK, on with the pictures

If you choose to do this mod good luck, and if you have any questions contact Corey on the Yotatech Forum.