Alarm Systems Discussion related to installation, diagnostics, and purchasing of alarm systems

Remote Start Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 04:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Start Question

So at about 2:30 this morning my wife taps me on the shoulder and proceeds to tell me she thinks she hears the 4Runner running. Well needless to say that caught my attention in a hurry and I jumped up to go check it out. The truck was running and it showed all the signs of being started via remote start. The keys were sitting on my dresser in the room with us so I'm pretty sure the button didn't get pushed. Anyone have any ideas what could cause it to start on its own? I just replaced the battery in the remote and the car battery shows no signs of weakening.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow that's wierd...ghosts maybe... I dunno, unless your neighbors have a remote starter, maybe theirs shares the same code as yours. Wierder things have happened.....
Old 09-25-2007, 02:26 PM
Contributing Member

That's the only thing I can figure is someone has something (garage door opener, keyless entry,ect. ) that shares the same frequency and it set it off. Not very encouraging.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:35 PM

what brand of remote start does it have?

some have a setting that they will start every couple of hours, or if the temp drops. also load check the trucks battery, some remote starters will engage when they see the battery voltage drop.

with most new technology keyless systems, sharing a code with a neighbor is just about impossible.

I'm guessing its most likely some sort of valet setting or vacation setting that is starting it at pre determined times.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:22 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by fullmann
what brand of remote start does it have?

some have a setting that they will start every couple of hours, or if the temp drops. also load check the trucks battery, some remote starters will engage when they see the battery voltage drop.

with most new technology keyless systems, sharing a code with a neighbor is just about impossible.

I'm guessing its most likely some sort of valet setting or vacation setting that is starting it at pre determined times.
Interesting, didn't know all of that. I will definitely have to load check the battery. It is a Viper alarm/remote start system, so I thought it was a decent system. I guess I can find the model number and go on their website to see if mine has some of the features you listed. Thanks.