Alarm Systems Discussion related to installation, diagnostics, and purchasing of alarm systems

Remote Start - Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 09:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jmach1
I have seriously been thinking about a remote start for my Colorado. I know, this is a toyota forum. The dealership says that if I get an after market remote start it will void my warranty. Any ideas on this?
It may be true, but it'll be something that you may want to verify with the regional service folks. I'm not a big fan of believing the dealer who's in the position to generate cash flow.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tell ya, right now I would love to say the heck with the warranty and just get one, this weather here sucks right now, freezing my butt off with 0 degrees and snowing.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TDiddy
Did anyone do a writeup on the Commando install?

There isn't a complete write up on the Commando FM-870 but several of us have information we collected and compiled during our installs. I would be willing to share what I have if you pinky swear you won't use it against me.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jmach1
I have seriously been thinking about a remote start for my Colorado. I know, this is a toyota forum. The dealership says that if I get an after market remote start it will void my warranty. Any ideas on this?
Oh yeah, my fun vehicle is a 87 22ret.

give me his number so i can tell him to kiss my magnusson warranty act---and my arse

what a joke that dealership people try to pull off this kind of nonsense

bob
Old 12-06-2005, 10:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
give me his number so i can tell him to kiss my magnusson warranty act---and my arse
I think this is a tricky point though Bob.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act sales that a dealer can't deny warranty claims just because you installed an aftermarket part, but they _can_ pull it if they can show that the aftermarket part caused the problem that you're trying to claim against.

So... If you install Hella lamps, and later make a claim on a tranny problem, then you'd be okay. But if you tried to make a claim on damaged caused by an electrical fire under the hood, and the dealer sees that in your Hella install you didn't fuse them, then you'd have a problem.

(edit)
Whoops... submitted too soon...

Also, there's a clause in the MMWA that states that the manufacturer has an out if they _clearly and explicitly_ state that the additional of any aftermarket equipment will void the warranty.

Last edited by midiwall; 12-06-2005 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:16 AM
Contributing Member

I just had one installed 2 weeks ago at Circuit city. The valet, $159 installed with a remote. It works for the doors and the remote start. I love it. It is getting really cold here now. I get out of work at 2am and it is nice to get into a warm truck.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:35 AM
Contributing Member

I have the viper, works great, ill post the model number this afternoon. It has remote start, door locks, and aux button, but I only hooked up the remote start Ill get around to finishing the door locks and rear window someday, maybe in the spring.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:40 AM
Contributing Member

hijack = for you guys that have installed all the locks and window, where were the wires, and how did you hook them up? did you just hook them up to the drivers side door lock wires? Is there any way to make the horn beep or something whenever I press the lock button, or window button? Thats one reason I still have the stock alarm, I actually like the beeping it makes so I know its locked. Thanks!! = hijack off
Old 12-07-2005, 04:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dibble9012
hijack = for you guys that have installed all the locks and window, where were the wires, and how did you hook them up? did you just hook them up to the drivers side door lock wires? Is there any way to make the horn beep or something whenever I press the lock button, or window button? Thats one reason I still have the stock alarm, I actually like the beeping it makes so I know its locked. Thanks!! = hijack off
Most Viper alarms with remote start (or even other brands) I know chirp when locked or unlocked so you don't need to hook up the horn too unless it is a must have. You might have a version with no siren and in that case you'd need to upgrade to a full alarm/remote start in order to get that feature. You can get all the wiring in my signature if you need it (yours may be slightly different color wires so you should get a diagram of your wiring just to be sure). The window rollup usually requires relays and an additional module but it may come with some kits. I am not a fan of the stock alarm at all but it is better than nothing.

*EDIT* I checked and it looks like the 130xv has no siren (nor do any of the dedicated remote starters). You might be able to hook up a relay to the parking light flash output to get the horn to honk, but it could be a PITA to do and you need to know what you are doing not to damage the brain module. You would have to use a relay in that case, don't hook up directly to that wire or you may damage the brain module. If it were my truck I'd just upgrade to the 560vx and take out the OEM alarm too (viper has FAR better range).

See second page:
http://www.cartron.com/viper_brochure.pdf

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 12-07-2005 at 05:05 AM.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I know viper is a good product, but any opinions on python? I work in install at CC, but I dont put the damn alarms in...lol (I HATE installing alarms with a passion...done 4) Thus far I know for a fact the old Code alarms we used to sell suck, but for me the jury's out on Python...

The rep said they were exactly like Viper just a different snake.... Opinions?
Old 12-21-2005, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
I know viper is a good product, but any opinions on python? I work in install at CC, but I dont put the damn alarms in...lol (I HATE installing alarms with a passion...done 4) Thus far I know for a fact the old Code alarms we used to sell suck, but for me the jury's out on Python...

My 4Runner came with a Python installed when I bought it. It works fine just doesn't have a very far range, and the buttons sometimes didn't work. I just prefer the Compustar units better. More familiar with the Compustar programing, install, and options.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:20 PM
Contributing Member

Don't but an audiovox. I made that mistake on a pickup. It only lasted 8 months, then the diodes crapped out.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:37 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota

-----
Originally Posted by DrBeau
Just as a note, DEI (Directed) makes the Viper, Clifford, Python, Hornet, Avital, Vallet, and now DesignTech alarms/remote start. DEI is actually right down the road from me (like 4-5 miles).