Alarm Systems Discussion related to installation, diagnostics, and purchasing of alarm systems

Remote Start - Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 05:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Start - Which one?

There are so many remote start choices out there (Hornet, Viper, Compustart, Astrostart, Prestige, etc.). I am confused about which one to go with. Is any of them really that much better than the other? I'm not talking alarm, just remote start. I could sure use some advice here.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:24 AM
Contributing Member

subscribing....i'm interested as well. Only thing I don't like about remote start only is that there would be another remote on the key chain.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Commando FM-870. Hard to beat.... a few of us here have 'em.

There's a special running for YT members:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f124/commando-870-special-holiday-20-off-sale-dec-1st-14th-only-72881/

Originally Posted by TDiddy
Only thing I don't like about remote start only is that there would be another remote on the key chain.
In terms of the factory alarm being there as well? Rip it out! I did.

Last edited by midiwall; 12-06-2005 at 05:30 AM.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:51 AM

hey i am new to the board but old hat at remote starts. i run a car stereo shop here in louisville and i do about 10 viper remote starts a day. which is a ton. the viper if it is install corectly is the best one out there. with the lifetime warrenty that is nation wide you have tons of people that could look at it and service it if it ever needs to be. if you want a remote start/keyless go with the viper 160xv you should pay aout 249.99 or so. make sure that the shop that installs it offers a lifetime install warrenty and they stand behind there product
Old 12-06-2005, 05:59 AM

Thanks Fruitstripe! They're actually getting $297.00 for it installed.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:05 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by fruitstripe
hey i am new to the board but old hat at remote starts. i run a car stereo shop here in louisville and i do about 10 viper remote starts a day. which is a ton. the viper if it is install corectly is the best one out there. with the lifetime warrenty that is nation wide you have tons of people that could look at it and service it if it ever needs to be. if you want a remote start/keyless go with the viper 160xv you should pay aout 249.99 or so. make sure that the shop that installs it offers a lifetime install warrenty and they stand behind there product
I am a fan of the viper systems as well (as you can see the 550ESP in my signature and I also have the 850XV in my Civic which is just an alarm because it is a manual tranny)......you can certainly install them yourself as well and it is quite a bit cheaper, but you won't get the warranty. You can only get a warranty on the Hornet line if you install yourself. I installed all mine myself just because I prefer viper and have never had an issue with any of them.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 12-06-2005 at 06:07 AM.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:16 AM

Thanks MTL_4Runner! So far it's Viper all the way.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:18 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Matt
Thanks MTL_4Runner! So far it's Viper all the way.
To be fair I have also seen quite a few people install the Commando FM-870 with no problems too, I just prefer Viper myself.
Either would be very good choices.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:57 AM

After a recent car break in, I may be interested in an aftermarket alarm. Are these alarms really that much better, or harder to bypass, than the factory 3rd gen alarm? They got around mine like it was nothing, so would it really offer a lot more protection to get a commando or viper setup?
Old 12-06-2005, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by tarheelrunner
After a recent car break in, I may be interested in an aftermarket alarm. Are these alarms really that much better, or harder to bypass, than the factory 3rd gen alarm? They got around mine like it was nothing, so would it really offer a lot more protection to get a commando or viper setup?

if you are wanting to do a remote start/alarm on a 3rd gen it would be wise to go with a 560xv. this unit has starter kill an impact sensor and door triggers this unit also has an 1100 to 1300 foot range. now i sell them for 399.99 without the factory key bypass for the remote start. you will pay 49.99 and posibly lose one of your keys if it has a chip in it.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:48 AM
Contributing Member

Did anyone do a writeup on the Commando install?
Old 12-06-2005, 08:14 AM

subscribing....i'm interested as well. Only thing I don't like about remote start only is that there would be another remote on the key chain.
Sometimes you can integrate the RS into the stock remote. I just did one like that on a new accord. The user presses the button on the stock remote 3x and the car starts.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:15 AM

oh yea, +1 for anything made by Directed (Viper is made by Directed).

If anyone in Denver wants a remote start, I can install it for you.

Last edited by yellowspeedracer; 12-06-2005 at 08:16 AM.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:44 AM
Contributing Member

Just as a note, DEI (Directed) makes the Viper, Clifford, Python, Hornet, Avital, Vallet, and now DesignTech alarms/remote start. DEI is actually right down the road from me (like 4-5 miles).
Old 12-06-2005, 11:35 AM

Did anyone do a writeup on the Commando install?
I dunno if Bob did one or not Tom.
Paging Bob... Bob_98SR5 please come to the thread...
It's pretty straight-forward to do... 5-7 wires and you're in.

EDIT: From the Commando Special Offer thread:
Originally Posted by Amir904
anyone do a writeup? installation pics?
amir,

No. as much as i wanted to, it would not be good to have that kind of info out in the public domain.

bob
Good point...

Last edited by midiwall; 12-06-2005 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:40 PM

I really like the Compustar 2ways. The 2W900FM-AS and the 2WFM-AS. I have them in my Honda and my Toyota. Never had any problems with them and there are simple to use and program. Also very expandable for windows etc... The only thing I like better about the 2W900FM-AS over the 2WFM-AS, is that is doesn't have such a gay song when your vehicle has armed and in start mode. Little bit longer range and a vibrate feature aswell.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:54 PM

If anyone in Denver wants a remote start, I can install it for you.
Because you know how and you're just a hell of a nice guy? Or do you work in/own a shop? I'm getting more interested in putting something in our Runner, if you're a shop I'd be happy to throw the business your way. If not then I won't waste your Saturday I'm sure I can figure it out.

All I need is power locks, right? 96 LTD....
Old 12-06-2005, 08:02 PM

I bought a remote start for less than $50, installed it myself. It has a timer that shuts the vehicle off after 15 minutes, so then it won't run too long if you forget about it or accidently activate it. I also had one that would start by itself, but it also had a timer, otherwise it may have run for a long time and eventually cooked the motor. If you have a standard transmission, make sure it has a neutral safety swithc, because my Golf didn't, and it was in gear and drove off into a parked car, some 100 feet away. THere are lots of fancy starters out there, but really a timer is all you need to save the vehicle. The kit I had also had other safety features.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:59 PM

I'm going to have to go with Commando. I had one in my last 4Runner, Helped another guy install his and am putting one in my New 4Runner. This thing has seemingly limitless options and is much cheaper than the good ol viper. The only reason people may like viper more is because we all recognize the name. Jump outside the box for a second and try something new. You really can’t beat this alarm.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:19 PM

I have seriously been thinking about a remote start for my Colorado. I know, this is a toyota forum. The dealership says that if I get an after market remote start it will void my warranty. Any ideas on this?
Oh yeah, my fun vehicle is a 87 22ret.

Quick Reply: Remote Start - Which one?