Alarm Systems Discussion related to installation, diagnostics, and purchasing of alarm systems

differnt kind of alarm sensors

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
differnt kind of alarm sensors

I posted a thread a couple days ago about my warning alarm going off for no reason. Well for those of u that read it i found out my shock sensor is bad and after looking online i found different kind of sensors that read different things. I may not up to date with the alarm auto alarm business but heres what i found and let me know what u have and would it be possible to put a different kind of sensor in my truck?

1. DOOR SENSORS: The most basic element in a car alarm system is the door alarm. When you open the front hood, trunk or any door on a fully protected car, the brain triggers the alarm system.

2.SHOCK SENSORS: The idea of a shock sensor is fairly simple: If somebody hits, jostles or otherwise moves your car, the sensor sends a signal to the brain indicating the intensity of the motion. Depending on the severity of the shock, the brain signals a warning horn beep or sounds the full-scale alarm.

[SIZE="4"]3. WINDOW AND PRESSURE SENSORS: [SIZE="3"]The most common glass-breakage detector is a simple microphone connected to the brain. Microphones measure variations in air-pressure fluctuation and convert this pattern into a fluctuating electrical current (check out this question of the day to learn how). Breaking glass has its own distinctive sound frequency (pattern of air-pressure fluctuations). The microphone converts this to an electrical current of that particular frequency, which it sends to the brain.

4.MOTION AND TILT SENSORS: Car alarm tilt sensors typically have an array of mercury switches positioned at varying angles. Some of them are in the closed position when you're parked at any particular slant, and some of them are in the open position. If a thief changes the angle of your car (by lifting it with a tow truck or hiking it up with a jack, for example), some of the closed switches open and some of the open switches close. If any of the switches are thrown, the central brain knows that someone is lifting the car.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had some experience with the reliability of each.

1) the door sensor has worked wonders for me. It was factory installed on my 90 Camry, and it saved it every time. Although replacing the punched door locks became a hassle. Just up the street, a similar Camry was stolen, and dumped about 5 miles away. They had nothing. I think that the thieves punch my lock, open the door and have the horn go off and run away scared. SO the cars still in the driveway, and after having the locks busted four times in the past three years, I'd say I'm in OK shape.

2)When I got my P/U, it had nothing installed, and with my experience with the Camry, I needed something. I went to my local car audio place, and had a Two-way viper installed with magnetic strips on the back rear split window. The vibration sensor is set in the middle, and has yet to go off from Harley Vibrations. They go by at least twice a night. I've only had the truck about 3-4weeks, so I, luckily, haven't had to put the alarm to the test yet.

3)Motion sensors are only necessary if you park with the windows down, leave things in the bed, or have a soft top of some sort. I have zero experience with them, but they seem very nice.