General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

What do you guys think of these wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 08:40 AM
Away

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you guys think of these wheels?

I'm probably going to get flamed for liking these, but I think they look really cool. What do you guys think?

Click the pic for a larger view.

They're a 16x8 made by MB Motoring and sold exclusively at Discount Tires.

G

EDIT: Changed the link to Discount Tires home page.

Last edited by Dr. Zhivago; 02-23-2004 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is that the Overdrive model? Looks good, not too ricey. A couple things I'd want to know are weight and whether the backside of the spokes are flat or hollowed out. If hollow, that can become a place for crud to gather and create an imbalance situation. Do you need to consider hub/lug centric specs? I didn't see them on the site.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:58 AM
Away

Yes, they are the Overdrive Model. I guess I should have mentioned that in the original post. :pat: As for the rest of your questions, I haven't asked. But they are listed as a proper fit for our trucks. So, hopefully, the hub/lug centric part of the equation was taken into consideration and the wheels are in fact, hub centric.

I'll call and find out and update this post.

G
Old 02-23-2004, 09:17 AM

I think they look great!...go for it. I have seen those before as well and have always thought of them to be a very sharp looking wheel.

Quick question for ya Dr. Z: I am running a very solid 3" of lift thru custom spacers on the front of my 4th gen, and about 4.5" in the rear. I did endless searching, but there is obviously not much in the archives about a diff. drop for a 4th gen. I saw you were helping another guy with his diff. drop in a different thread...any input would be great.

My bad if this pisses ya off in regards to "hi-jacking" your thread...that isn't my intent, you just seemed like the guy to talk to. Again, I have seen those wheels in person and know they will look damn sharp on your rig. Thanks.

Billy
Old 02-23-2004, 09:48 AM
Away

Thanks for you input, Billy. As for me being guy to talk to about the diff drop, all I can tell you is that I'm passing along information that I have learned by hanging out here and a few other forums, with a little bit of my own experience to back it up.

Now, to your question: I have no personal experience working on a 4th Gen 4Runner. I've never even been in one. What I would do if I were you, is remove the skid plates and take a look at the diff mounts and then compare them to pictures of the 3rd Gen mounts or a buddy's truck who owns one. They're hopefully similar enough to draw some conlcusions about what to do. If they mount pretty much identically, then you can use the Ace Hardware Diff Drop method that I have used.

Here's a parts list and installtion instructions for the 3rd Gen/Taco Ace HW Diff Drop:

1) Buy following items:

(2) 1/2"x8" Grade 8 Bolts
(2) 1/2" Grade 8 Nylock Nuts
(4) 1/2" Grade 8 Washers (Regular Diameter, about 3/4")
(12-30) 1/2" Grade 8 Washers (Large Diameter, about 2") The number of these depends on how thick they are. You want a total of 1" thickness or so per side.
(2) 8mmx40mm Bolts
(2) 8mm Washers

2) Remove both skid plates

3) You will see two 19mm bolts that attach the diff to the crossmember. There is a nut above the crossmember. I recommend using an impact gun or a 1/2" drive breaker bar and 19mm socket for the bottom and a 19mm wrench for the top. Remove bolts and nuts. KEEP the 2 large black metal bushings that are on the bottom of the diff bracket. You'll know what I mean.

4) Stack the large diameter 1/2" washers between the crossmember and the lower diff bracket.

5) With a regular 1/2" washer, put the 1/2"X8" bolt through the metal bushing, then bottom of the diff bracket, then through the washers all the way through the crossmember.

6) With a regular 1/2" washer on top and the 1/2" Nylock nut, tighten with hand but do not tighten fully.

7) Repeat 5 & 6 above, then tighten down with tools.

8) Replace front skid plate. Use the same front bolts as that were on previously. Use the 8mmX40mm bolt/washer together in the center location brackets of the front skid.

9) For the rear skid, the front bolts up fine, but youmight need to make the rear mounting hole on the skid itself longer with a file or torch of some sort.

10) You're done!

Hope this helps.

G
Old 02-23-2004, 10:09 AM
Contributing Member

Are you going to spray paint them black?
Old 02-23-2004, 10:12 AM

BLING BLING Dr Z
Old 02-23-2004, 10:34 AM
Contributing Member

I like them.

I would probably get those over black steelies!
Old 02-23-2004, 10:53 AM
Ric
Banned - User requested

wheels

i like them, no only this is, if be affriad od scratching them up wheeling, but i like the looks.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:36 AM
Contributing Member

I like 'em. Execpt for the little hole along the edge. Seems like those would be a pain if they got mud in there.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:43 AM

I think they look awesome. has anyone else seen the new american racing wheels, i dont remember what they are called but they are a black wheel and look awesome.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:45 AM

Dr. Z-

Hey, thanks a ton...you are the man! I have both my skids off right now anyway, so I just printed out your instructions and am going to tackle it this weekend. I'll be sure to post any differences from the 3rd gens, etc.

Also, I would love to help save you some money on those wheels. Do you have a good connection with a tire/wheel shop?...or would you like me to talk to a couple of connections and get some prices for ya? Let me know.

Thanks again.

Billy
Old 02-23-2004, 11:47 AM

foodude-

You talking about the black teflon coated AR's?? If so, those are two different and very sweet wheels. The one with the polished rim edge/lip is the one I like best, but they are both really cool. The coating would be essentially bulletproof and I bet they would last forever. Check em out for the rest of us.

Billy
Old 02-23-2004, 11:51 AM

Dr.Z,
Those wheels look exactly like the stock Nissan Xterra and Frontier wheels. They come in polished or anodized grey.
You could probably get a set off ebay for cheap...aren't Nissan and Toyota the same lugnut pattern? Offset might be different...I don't know what it is though.

Those MB's do look cool
Old 02-23-2004, 11:52 AM
Contributing Member

Those are really sharp wheels, Galen. I bet they would look really good on a 4Runner. They actually caught my eye, too, while perusing the Discount Tire site, but I couldn't tell the exact backspacing from the info on there site, but maybe I just missed it...If you find out all of the specs, could please post them?

And just to a little, I find this post interesting coming from someone who said they weren't getting new wheels... :pat:

Old 02-23-2004, 01:05 PM

I give em a big thumbs up!
Old 02-23-2004, 01:29 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking They look good

But would look better if they were BLACK!

Old 02-23-2004, 01:31 PM
Contributing Member

Galen, I meant to add that I've bought lots of tires from America's Tire Company. They're great to do business with, and will match the lowest price you find online for tires, anyway. I bring a printout to the store, and even if they don't carry the tire (like the Falken Azenis I use for road racing) they'll get them at the best price. Good luck with the wheels!
Old 02-23-2004, 01:34 PM

Those wheels look great! MB Motoring makes them right?
Old 02-23-2004, 02:13 PM
Away

Thanks to all for your comments, positive or otherwise...

To Billy: you're more than welcome I'll be interested in seeing how things go for you. Start a new thread when you're done and have some results. And no, I don't need a hookup for prices at this time. But, I'll take a raincheck, if that's okay, for something in the future.

That goes for you too BT17R!

To Jayson: Did I say I was going to buy these? No. I only asked if you guys liked them. So, stop smacking me around! Always with the hitting... Seriously though, I am not buying these wheels at this time. I pretty much blew my wad on all the stuff I bought lately, like the SAW's, Downey HD's, Sliders and the 285/75/16 BFG AT KO's that I had put on the truck on Friday. I am still waiting on the SAW's and Sliders to arrive.

The wheels weigh about 20lbs each and they have about 3.75" Backspacing.

Thank you all again for your input. It is most appreciated. I just wanted to see what the general consensus was concerning these wheels and it seems that I'm not smoking crack since most of you like them as well. I'll probably pick up a set of these later this year.

Peace!
G

Quick Reply: What do you guys think of these wheels?