General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

What is broken on YOUR Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 01:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
91 4runner: Back window won't go down, code 52, plastic cooling fan self destruction.
93 regular cab flatbed: beat all to hell, blinkers don't work, no power steering, broken leaf spring.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 pickup 4x4
1. No 4th gear
2. Master cylinder going out
3. Driver door doesn't close all the way
4. Windows don't roll down
5. Alternator going out
6. Starter sticks
7. Rear bumper smashed under the bed
And I need tires.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I fixed or replaced most of the broken and worn out parts˟in my 85 ExtraCab like the new engine, new suspension including new springs, shocks, tie rod ends, steering stabilizer, drag link rebuild and rebuilt steering box, replaced broken hub locks then a new exhaust system, new heater core, new ebay "racing" seats, 3rd Gen 4Runner wheels & BFG M/T tires, complete brakes front & rear, an 87 rear end now with Lock-Right locker, sound system, cb radio, new horn contact pin and an alternator but, now the key switch return has worn out and if I do not return the key to the on position manually the starter keeps spinning.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:03 AM

97 4runner window problems

My 4runner has been acting up it started when the passenger window fell into my door after it stopped working. The windshield wiper control on steering colon would not work so I had to put a toggle switch and it has one speed slow. The rear wiper stopped the same time . It only opens with my key same with opening it I have to have key . Button on console won't work please help very dangerous for my children. I'm asking here because nobody will give me a straight answer very appreciated!!
Old 01-05-2017, 10:44 AM

Climate Control

I have taken apart my dash and all the front pieces to try to figure out why my climate control backlight won't work. Honestly, i'm about to just give up. Ive fixed all the rest on my '93, but this problem is beating me.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by fasterspider
I fixed or replaced most of the broken and worn out parts˟in my 85 ExtraCab like the new engine, new suspension including new springs, shocks, tie rod ends, steering stabilizer, drag link rebuild and rebuilt steering box, replaced broken hub locks then a new exhaust system, new heater core, new ebay "racing" seats, 3rd Gen 4Runner wheels & BFG M/T tires, complete brakes front & rear, an 87 rear end now with Lock-Right locker, sound system, cb radio, new horn contact pin and an alternator but, now the key switch return has worn out and if I do not return the key to the on position manually the starter keeps spinning.
After doing every repair needed over the past year and then modifying her even more with new suspension, cross over steering, Bilstein 12" travel shocks, dual transfer case and new gears, welded rear and front LSD along with a snorkal, I've been busy then when I was on my way to wheel, the transmission failed and left me stuck on the side of the freeway.
Transmissions are expensive but, they are a mandatory item so I'm digging deep to buy a good transmission and not have this kind of failure again.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:58 AM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Power antenna, front passenger power lock, slow to rewind drivers seatbelt, and fog lights.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:33 AM

I just bought an '88 Ext Cab Pickup and tried to remove the rear shocks. I broke the bolt that holds the shock onto the lower shock mount. Where does one find parts like this now-a-days? Toyota part number is:

SEAT SUB-ASSY, SPRING U BOLT, LH 48046-35120

No new parts left. Trouble finding a parts truck locally. Where are you guys all going for parts?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails What is broken on YOUR Toyota-rear-axle-shock-abosrbers_mod.jpg  

Last edited by spddm0n; 01-07-2017 at 02:21 PM. Reason: added photo
Old 01-06-2017, 01:19 PM

I have spare leaf spring/shock mounts, I'll hook you up for the cost of shipping.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by fasterspider
I have spare leaf spring/shock mounts, I'll hook you up for the cost of shipping.
Sweeeeet!!!! Thanks a lot! I really appreciate it! Should I PM you my address? I can send money by PayPal if that works.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by spddm0n
Sweeeeet!!!! Thanks a lot! I really appreciate it! Should I PM you my address? I can send money by PayPal if that works.
Call or text, it will be easier to communicate that way.

Last edited by fasterspider; 01-07-2017 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:08 PM

Leaned back hard into the seat to take my wallet out and ripped the seat-to-floor bolt out hahaha. As-well, a ton of bushings are falling apart everywhere and the water pump saw better times.

Last edited by HELL4CIOUS; 01-07-2017 at 05:08 PM. Reason: wrote beck instead of back
Old 01-10-2017, 07:38 AM

95.5 toyota tacoma

My truck needs a clutch (bought it that way) rear brakes and header (cracked) a new exhaust system oil change and a power steering flush and new rims other then that it's a great truck
Old 01-26-2017, 05:31 AM

Question Help!

Let's preface this with, I know NOTHING about engines. I'm one of those newbie's who is learning about engines as the parts go out, and I have to replace them because of cost.
Right NOW, it's a leak that seems like coolant..but it's coming from an odd place. It looks like it's from the belt area. I will try to post pics, and maybe ya'll can give a little insight and direction!

Edit: pic uploaded, and video is upside down-but i tried!

Also going on-
-Transmission slipping (crankcase?)
-battery light started this morning.
-door handles (inside and out/driver/passanger) broken off.
Attached Thumbnails What is broken on YOUR Toyota-20170126_075154.jpg  

Last edited by Josh Newton; 01-26-2017 at 05:34 AM. Reason: add pics...hopefully
Old 01-26-2017, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Front end is broken on mine. I bought it this way and am fixing it.
Name:  20161225_143437_zpsjczpqfcb.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  535.8 KB
Old 01-26-2017, 12:34 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Pcv valve, or my big box parts store pikc one they both failed me

I've got a burnt out blower fan resistor leaving me with a choice of only high speed fan, or using the rear seat heater to keep my butt from freezing.

Also a PCV valve that doesn't seal to back pressure.

Heading out into the snow now with parts on hand!
Old 02-02-2017, 02:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ooh, a place for a list!

1) Exhaust system leaks at every joint, including the manifold which is cracked. Strangely, it looks mostly new.

2) Driver window doesn't roll down. Was told it needs a regulator. (p/o actually gave me a new window regulator in the box, but it's the one-piece part and mine has the vent window)

3) Starter switch is finicky. Usually starts right up, but sometimes I have to turn the key off/on 10 times before I get more than a click.

4) Really hard starting when cold. Suspect cold start injector timer.

5) Heat output is marginal. Plan heater core replacement.

6) Bed sides are rusted through.

7) Cab floor is rusted through. Because of this, one of my seat rails has come loose in front.

8) No reverse lights

9) Not broken, per se, but the previous owner put xenon headlights in, and I hate them. Headlights shouldn't be blue.

10) No spare tire.

11) Radio antenna looks like a question mark.

12) Red tape holding the taillights together. They did a damn good job, though. You can hardly tell.

13) Oh, and no parking brake, so I have to shut the engine off if I want to get out.

But I'm driving it for now. P/O also put in a new timing belt, water pump, thermostat, clutch, and resealed the oil pan. At least nothing leaks. *crossed fingers*

Last edited by Vole; 02-02-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:11 AM

80 amp fusable link

I blew the 80 amp fuse then when trying to take it out (before i realized it was the fusable link and needed to be unbolted from underneath) broke it to peices. Now im waiting for toyota to get the fusable link and 80 amp fuse for me. I had saudered a 30 amp fuse to where the 80 should be to try and get it home, on the way home heard a popping sound and then stopped getting feul is what it seemed like, it would die unless i out it in park and gave it gas. Im now waiting for the fusable link and fuse. Im curious ss to some thoughts on something else that might have blown, or some thoughts on if the bad fusable link could cause the issue. I should add that before i saudered the 80 amp fuse, i had NO interior lights or dash or anything when key turned. After saudering a lower amp fuse it started right up and then i heard the pop and it started stuttering before completely losing power. Now it turns over but wont start and i had electrical power to everything interior all lights dash and exterior lights.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:17 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
No help but

I hope you are carrying a fire extinguisher!
Old 04-02-2017, 03:59 PM

1985 Celica

1. Bucking and idling problem when hot. Possibly ignition related, currently trying to fix. Related to this, it idles rough on warm startups sometimes.
2. Sunroof is dented in a corner and leaks. Don't think it can be fixed without a new panel. It's currently just sealed with a silicone sealant
3. Power antenna ripped off since I bought it. I don't think the motor works either though, not sure. It was disconnected and I didn't hear anything when I turned on the radio.
4. A/C doesn't work. It's not even hooked up because the belt snapped, but apparently the compressor is leaking regardless.
5. Brakes squeak when you're below like 30mph. Rotors warped in the back
6. Miscellaneous dings all around. Paint is crap, needs to be detailed at least. Peeling clearcoat on the hatch because it was repainted at somepoint. Rear bumper doesn't fit correctly. The right rear needs bodywork. It was obviously rear ended there before, but it's not perfectly straight, they just made it acceptable.
7. Rear windshield wiper fluid
8. Driver's seat bolster ripped.
9. Hatch release doesn't work
10. I don't consider this broken, but it's tricky to get into reverse too often. You know how sometimes the gears aren't aligned and it won't go in reverse. So you have to basically double clutch it (Or some people, like the previous owner, would go into first and roll forward a bit) and then go into reverse. I always go into first or second or another gear before going in because it will kind of stumble sometimes if you go directly from clutch out and neutral to clutch in and reverse.

What was broken and is now fixed? A lot. It started out fine, but after the first year or so, it became a money pit (I've only had it for two and a half...)
Rack and pinion broke, power steering fluid leak, fuel pump, fan clutch, missing radiator shroud, two faulty radiator caps, fuel pressure regulator, head gasket, differential bearings, two tie rods, battery terminals, exhaust leak, ignition coil (Was out of spec, don't think it was actually causing anything bad), fuel filter, accessory belt, spark plug retap

I'm probably missing something.

Last edited by Darkfire25; 04-02-2017 at 04:01 PM.

Quick Reply: What is broken on YOUR Toyota