General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

violent shaking in gear and neutral

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
violent shaking in gear and neutral

hey guys, this is my first post.

i have recently purchased a 92 pickup with the 22re. its 4x4 and a 5 speed. my question is whenever i crank the truck it shakes really bad, like really bad. it does it violenlt if im going say 40+ mph and push the clutch in or if i just put it in neutral and coast. the weird thing is though when im shifting gears it goes away completely, but just for like a half of second right before it goes in gear. i know that sounds a little vauge but i cant really describe it any other way, its like right when u feel it slip into the gear, the very slight resistance you get when its going into whatever gear, it just goes away and the truck is quiet like it should be. i guess my real question is can it be feul related, ive replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil and ignitor, not thinking that was the problem. it just need to be done and i was just letting you all know what i have done. i have done a lot of research on here and other sites and have heard it can be all kinds of stuff like clutch chatter, fuel related, uv joints/driveshaft, bad ignitioin system, timing, valves and so on. i was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so what the cure was, and also just some feedback as to what else it might be. thanks to all in advance!

Old 12-30-2011, 09:48 AM

I had really bad shaking when the u joints went out on my driveshaft
Old 12-30-2011, 01:18 PM

Yea I've had people tell me that might be what it is, but it does if I'm sitting still in me driveway in neutral, it just does it really bad traveling or when it's in gear and I push the clutch in
Old 01-04-2012, 07:42 AM

bump!
Old 01-04-2012, 09:30 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If the engine is shaking while parked you have a bad mis-fire. Under power it gets masked somewhat. Do a tune up and read the plugs, they tell a story. Check the u-joints too by shaking them.

Otherwise I think its time for a new clutch, sounds like the disk is shattered.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:44 AM

Thanks pilot, I have recently replaced all the plugs wires rotor cap ignition and ignitor, they maybe have 50 miles, they did improve the idle on the truck. So you're saying check them and see what they look like now? Also another culprit could have been timing chain, it either broke or jumped off or.somethin yesterday in the driveway. I pulled the distibuter off and the chain is wicked loose, I ordered new one with cover water pump, oil pump, radiator, new clutch disc and plate and flywheel and uv joints, and also new new seat and button from marking crawled. should be here today or tomorrow. The one thing I still don't undestand is like I said in first post about the shaking going away right when it slips in gear...I dunno... Also hope i didn't do any major damage the the valves when timing chain died.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:10 AM

Check the camshaft lobes for excessive wear on the top of the lobes. Now would be a good time to replace the gasket and ARP head stud kit. I would be very temped to pull the head on GP's just to check for any bent valves since the chain failed. If you do studs, leave the back pair for the last step so you can put the head on with less trouble.

You might have a valve hung up, now that I'm thinking about it. I have a head on the floor with a stuck valve that wiped the cam lobe. If you have a valve hanging in the breeze that could really make for shake since on hole has zero compression.

Last edited by skypilot; 01-05-2012 at 06:13 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:19 AM

Yea I planned on taking the the head to a machine shop and get them to look it over since I'm doin the chain already and I already have a head basket set with everything so when I get the head checked the guy is gonna put new seals and all that good stuff in it, sorry Im kinda a noob to working on these trucks luckily all my yours have been great to me and never had a single problem with one, what do u mean by gp? General purpose? But anyways I'm gettin the head cleaned and decked if need be, I dunno what po did to it before me... It's got 198 on the clock but its.broke so who knows how many real miles it has. But I knew what I was gettin into when i bought the truck, that's why I did and became a member to this site
Old 01-05-2012, 08:19 AM

I was a noob once too. Granted I started wrenching at 15 years old, but I was still a noob. I like to learn something new everyday; It proves I am alive.

GP means ---> General Principles. Which translates to Its cheaper to look & fix now than it is to take a shortcut and have to do it twice at double the cost. One of those things that has been etched into my hide too many times.

If its in the budget the ARP studs do have more clamping force to prevent future problems.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:19 AM

Haha I know what you mean, that's been instilled I'm me too through prior ventures, if I don't do it now, it will be the next thing to go wrong. Also I have a question, you think its possible that the timing chain was really loose that it couldve advanced or.retarted the.timing and that could have been the cause of the shaking? But hopefully between the new clutch, timing chain kit, universal joints andnew plugs and wires and other stuff I have done I can eliminate the shake! Also doing a radiator new shifted bushing and seat, oil and water pump, and grill filter, and getting the head reworked this weekend. Hopefully that will be all for mechanical and i can gobtobtown on the interior and exterior. Can't wait!
Old 01-06-2012, 10:13 AM

Old 01-06-2012, 03:58 PM

Walk the engine over with the head off and push down on each piston and make sure they move nice & smooth and no motion is detected from a spun rod bearing.

Though with that much off the engine, I would be tempted to pull the pan. In fact I would do it on an engine like that since its only 4 bolts in the engine mounts holding it after all that stuff is off. Setting the timing and getting everything back on would be quite the breeze.

You see I rolled my runner and the engine spun a bearing from oil starvation from being n its side. It shakes bad but its more a shake or bad roller coaster than what you describe. You see unlike a German Panther tank Yota's do not have an oil pressure shutoff switch.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:22 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Josh welcome to the forum

Be nice to know where you live??

Has this shaking been going on since you got the truck???

Is it possible you or the po got a sparkplug wire on wrong??

vacuum hoses bad or hooked up wrong