General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Trying to make a decision...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 08:16 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Trying to make a decision...

On which path I should take with the 4Runner. I feel as if its that time whether I should decide to go with Longtravel, Solid axle, or just simply lift it.

The 4Runner is genuinely set up as an expedition vehicle. Reliability, and structurally sound is my main goal. And i've always been convinced that I'd SAS someday. But due to a friend of mine contacting me about him parting out his 4Runner and wanting to part with his custom fabbed long travel kit. I'm shortening the "path" decision to somewhere in the near future.

So here's the scoop:
His 4Runner is practically parted out, but he still has the LT kit for sale. He's asking $3,000 but dropped it to $2,500 for me. The kit comes with: UCA's, LCA's, Tie Rod Extensions, Fox Racing air shocks, T100 axles, shock towers, and some bracketry.

The Issue:
The price, and the LT kit itself ISN'T the issue with me. My issue is the 86-95 suspension and how I have my armor currently set up. I have a TJM front bumper, a Budbuilt skid plate, and an SDORI IFS brace. Some of you are probably asking "What's the Issue?". I'll gladly explain. Say that my front differential starts leaking. I have to pull the front bumper ( heavy SoB ) because the Budbuilt skid plate has 2 front bolts, and the bumper covers them. Then the skid plate ( pain in the ass allen head bolts, and another heavy SoB ) and then the IFS brace ( which needs to be ground off, because its welded ) comes out JUST to get to the differential. the ease of working on the front end is no longer there, what so ever.

So with that being said, I'm sure a lot of you actually see where I'm coming from and can possibly see how an SAS appeals to me.

"CHEAP" Solutions:
1) I could sell the Budbuilt skid plate and put a stock one back on. but then again, is that a solution? or just another problem?

2) I could sell the TJM and fund something else. but I enjoy the plated feel on the rig itself. I dont want to part with this.

EXPENSIVE Solution:
1) Simply just SAS it. Sell all of the IFS junk including a Budbuilt IFS skid and SDORI IFS brace. and gain the ease of being able to work on the front end anytime anywhere while keeping my TJM bumper ( new mounting brackets would be fabbed )

PROs & CONs:
They're obviously a good/bad story to this whole thing. I dont want to make this an IFS vs SAS thread. I have a few issues of on my own personal level so we'll wait to talk about these.

OVERALL:
Keep in mind that this truck is built for expedition. I do not rock crawl this thing. I do not jump this thing sky high at the dunes. It travels, gets me places, and camps on its own power. I'm looking for reliability, function, and form.

Feel free to give out any ideas and what not. I've talked to a couple friends of mine about this and even hear mixed reviews/ideas from them.

Thanks.

Last edited by MaK92-4RnR; 09-30-2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From another expedition wheeler, I would say SAS it but do it right (Hunt4steve style). If it's done right it will keep its reliability as well as make it a more capable rig. Plus, the solid axle it relatively easy to fix should something go wrong.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sas simpler system

More reliable, easier to work on in my opinion..
Old 09-30-2011, 08:57 AM

Exactly. I'd sacrifice some ride quality for function, structurally sound, and reliable front end. and on top of that its extremely easy to fix/maintain. Thanks for the quick reply...

Anyone else have any opinions?
Old 09-30-2011, 08:58 AM

i think LT would be "cool," but i wouldnt spend 3k on it. why are you wanting to change it in the first place, it sounds like its doing what you need it to, keep the IFS for travel and expedition and comfort.
SAS it if you want reliability.
LT it to be different
improve the existing IFS with better torsion bars, shocks, bushings etc. and save a ton of money.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:13 AM

Agreed. but Im all about doing it right the first time. If i need to SAS it, swap 5.29s and 35s into it then so be it. my tires are wearing down, the front suspension needs to be replaced anyway, and it sucks to work on it currently. So this is basically my alternative.

Im thinking LT is out of the question. im 5 hours away from the nearest dune. and I'm an hour away from the mountains ( plus the rubicon is like an hour and 45 minutes away ) so...
Old 09-30-2011, 09:16 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Or there is the option of not doing anything and keeping all your investments and time intact.

I am getting the sence that your looking for an excuse to change something where there is really no need to.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:26 AM

^^ agreed
Old 09-30-2011, 09:36 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
SAS done well rides well and performs well.

:wabbit2:
Old 09-30-2011, 09:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by snobdds
Or there is the option of not doing anything and keeping all your investments and time intact.

I am getting the sence that your looking for an excuse to change something where there is really no need to.
I agree as well.

An idea for your mike. Is it possible to grind or cut some holes into the bumper Then that could allow you to remove the skid-plate with out removing the bumper. I do not know the specifics, but its an idea.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:46 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
What about a 2nd toy that you can just build and work on? That way you can have your DD as it is now, reliable, nice ride ect. and one that you could go out and build or thrash on
Old 09-30-2011, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by snobdds

the rig operates perfectly fine, and there are other things to address first. ( clutch ) This is to bump ideas around in my head and maybe get me off the fence of which I should go with. But like i mentioned above. I'm all about doing it right the first time and hate investing money into something that will eventually be replaced ( i fought with myself about rebuilding the top end on the 3.0, but i just wasn't in a position to do a 3.4... yet. ) Does that make sense...? I'd rather gather an axle, build it up, prep it for everything and leave it in my garage until the time comes to pop it in. Im sure everyone can relate to that
Old 09-30-2011, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by OrRunner
What about a 2nd toy that you can just build and work on? That way you can have your DD as it is now, reliable, nice ride ect. and one that you could go out and build or thrash on
The 4Runner may be reliable, but its not efficient. BUT because of that. I have a bike. Safeway and the office i work at are 5 minutes away from the house. Im kinda lucky for that. So as ridiculous as it sounds, I guess the bike is the daily driver? Kinda blows for wanting to go anywhere far though
Old 09-30-2011, 09:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
sounds like the decision has been made...

Where's the SAS build?
Old 09-30-2011, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by dark_fairytales
I agree as well.

An idea for your mike. Is it possible to grind or cut some holes into the bumper Then that could allow you to remove the skid-plate with out removing the bumper. I do not know the specifics, but its an idea.
Its hard to explain. I'd have to show it to you keith, but the bolts are literally right behind the mounting plates. the bumper must be removed, no questions asked. because the bolts wont screw all the way out. like I said, I could fund another bumper. but I enjoy the TJM. Its rare, sleek, plated and really gives it that tank look.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Outsane
sounds like the decision has been made...

Where's the SAS build?
I've been searching for an axle on craigslist for awhile. I dont want to settle for anything less than a 84-85 or a rock assault TG axle. Theres a lot of 79-83s on there. but, if im gonna do it, i want it done strong. So until I find one, She's gonna get a new MC clutch, and the house is gonna continue to get things done to it.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
SAS done well rides well and performs well.

:wabbit2:
Well you're the expert, Brian. i'd like to keep it low ( maybe get the 3" front TG kit and the 4" kit and pull one or two leafs? ) I know these kits settle pretty low. so I think the 35s will still fit and look good even with a few leafs pulled.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:08 AM

Honestly, you said it yourself you dont want to rock crawl the thing. You want it to ride comfortably and be reliable but be capable as well. I would just get all new front end components, get better tortion bars, etc and lift it up maybe 3 inches all around. You already have dual lockers, it's pretty much more capable than you would ever really need it to be as it is. More than likely it's gonna be a rough ride with an SAS, and you'll get sick of that real quick. If need be, ditch the skid plate and find one with better mounting points, or fab up your own for your current one.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:32 AM

Well straight axling isn't all about rock crawling. yes its a better application for it vs IFS, but its not like I wanna beat on my runner and take it to the hardest trails of rubicon and fordyce. To explain whats going through my head right now, i'll try and give an example...

Basically to sum it all up. Why should I invest more into the factory front suspension? When I could take that money and build something worth while? I believe that its roughly 800 bucks for an OME lift all the way around. its even more if you decide to use SAW torsion bars. and it also doesn't free up the inconvenience of the front end. fabbing another skid plate will cost money. so lets push it up to 1000 bucks just to gain a little clearance, and the same amount of travel? its not efficient... I'd be better off replacing the shocks with some cheap rancho's, and forking the rest of that money towards building an axle up. I understand an SAS isn't cheap, but its efficient, worth while, and structurally more sound at the sacrifice of ride quality.

Sorry if im being difficult. I have a serious issue with doing the "well what else could I do with that money" bug. lol :/ All of your information is definitely appreciated and helpful.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
Im thinking LT is out of the question. im 5 hours away from the nearest dune. and I'm an hour away from the mountains ( plus the rubicon is like an hour and 45 minutes away ) so...
Because LT is only for prerunning ? LT can do whatever you want it to do. I mean seriously, Shannon Campell's KOH winner was on LT! It's WAY more versatile than a straight axle.

$3k for a used garage-fab LT kit is ridiculous. A Blazeland kit is about $1k, and a decent Total Chaos kit is around $2k IIRC.

Any possibility you could convert the IFS brace from weld-in to bolt-in? It'd still be a pill to service the diff, but at least it wouldn't require welding. But honestly, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that if guys like TC and AxleIke haven't blown up their IFS diffs, then you're pretty safe. Don't borrow trouble.

Those are my random thoughts. Take them for what their worth.

Quick Reply: Trying to make a decision...