General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

solid mounting your t-case, bad idea???

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 03:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
solid mounting your t-case, bad idea???

Well heres the deal, I am putting dual cases in my 81' pu. Both trans mounts that I have are toast. I could reallllly use the $200 it costs for new ones on a twinstick or somethin. Would I be making a big mistake to solid mount these things?? I was thinking just take the rubber out of the mount and welding the two sides together, this would also give me a lil more clearence too. I wouldn't think twice other than the fact that there will be quite a bit of torque goin through there with dual cases. go ahead Flame away................
Old 08-12-2006, 05:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont think that is a good idea. Is the motor solid mounted? If not you will be applying a twisting force between the motor and tranny with nothing to take up the load.
IF you hard mount the trany, hard mount the motor also. I do not recommend this, but you can do it. You will be transferring all the vibrations to the frame. IT will not be a good ride.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:19 AM

your right, no the motor isn't hard mounted. Anyone got some spare mounts layin around?
Old 08-12-2006, 10:16 PM
Banned

It will work fine.
All the rubber is for is noisesupression and if your putting alot more torque to the bracket then its advisable to wield it solid if possible.
Ive seen this done alot of muscle cars and trucks and on tractors, It will make your motormounts last longer but make sure they are good to start.
You will hear alot more driveline noise so be prepared for that.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:06 AM

any vibration from the engine etc, will no longer be dampened and you will notice in the cab.

i have my t-case hard mounted to the x-member, but i have rubber bushings at the frame to dampen the vibes
Old 08-13-2006, 05:30 AM

BAD IDEA! You do not want to flex the transfer case itself. Case flex is a good way to prematurely wear out your transfer case. I never seen a transfer case rubber mount break due to wheeling unless it is old. Your truck isn't a race truck. The reason why racers use solid mounts is because of the added torque of the motor that will rip apart a stock rubber mount. A solid will not fail on the track. So stick with the stock rubber bushings and mounts!

James
Old 08-13-2006, 12:06 PM

a stock rubber mount will break due to wheeling, even brand new ones. a crawler setup of any kind puts an enormous amount of torque on the drivetrain especially when the wheels are in tight spots.

after the t-case mount, the next thing to go are the motor mounts, that is why companies like front range make x-members that solid mount to the t-case. x-members of this design arrest the torque and save the motor mounts but still retain bushings to dampen the vibrations.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Napoleon047
a stock rubber mount will break due to wheeling, even brand new ones. a crawler setup of any kind puts an enormous amount of torque on the drivetrain especially when the wheels are in tight spots.

after the t-case mount, the next thing to go are the motor mounts, that is why companies like front range make x-members that solid mount to the t-case. x-members of this design arrest the torque and save the motor mounts but still retain bushings to dampen the vibrations.
disagree 100%. Motor mounts typically break LONG before the t-case mounts. Also, FRORF's mount is ***NOT*** a solid mount design. It moves the bushings to the frame-rails rather than on the tcase itself. While a much more solid design, it is certainly not a solid mount.