YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-09-2005, 06:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Show us your best cheap mods!

I'm not talking 'bout lifts and lockers an such. Just simple things you've changed, added or removed to make life better. Here's my first example:

Light-duty tie-downs:
Click the image to open in full size.
I popped off a few of the trim panel fasteners and replaced them with eye-bolts. These get used a lot!

Next is a flourescent light for the rear cargo area:
Held to the rear wiper housing with some pipe-hanger straps and velcro (removable!). The wires run to here:
You can't see the switch, but it's in the trim panel, about window high. The wires can be disconnected at the gray plug and hooked to the wires in the front of the picture, allowing me to draw power from the cig. lighter or the battery and use the light within cords-reach of either.

Don't like the rack options for the fiberglass tops? Fabricate your own mounts so you don't have to use the factory roof rack or the fiberglass rain gutters above the sliding windows:
Sandwiched between two pieces of riser material (fake wood in this case) is an 'artificial rain gutter', available from both Thule and Yakima. The bolts go straight through the fiberglass top and have huge fender washers on the inside.

Finally, next time you're at the junk yard see if you can pick up an extra tow-hook. It never hurts to have a spare / 2nd!
You'll probably have some trouble removing the hook from your donor vehicle, so bring the appropriate tools. I got lucky and actually tripped over this one AND got it for FREE if I promissed not to sue over my stubbed toe.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Old 07-09-2005, 06:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to dibble9012 Send a message via Skype™ to dibble9012
well I dont have any pics right now, but the best cheap mod on my truck was a maglight holder in front of the drivers seat, no more lost or loose flying around flashlight!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-09-2005, 08:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Contributing Member

I don't have any pics either, but I've put in an in-line kill switch for the antenna, and also integrated my garage door opener so that there is a momentary switch just below my cup holders, also the locker mod, and the mag-lite mod... that's all i can think of right now-

oh yeah, and i modified my TJM mounts for my 2" BL, but that's not a super cheap mod i guess

"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel..."

Return With Honor

Last edited by HOJU; 07-09-2005 at 08:43 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-09-2005, 09:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

My best cheap mod was to my ice chest. I bought some stainless steel U bolts, drilled through the chest, attached the U bolt with a plate inside so the nuts will not pull through. Now I can ratchet strap my ice chest in my bed, without tearing the handles off when I am driving the trail to camp at Barnwell Mountain!

Old 07-09-2005, 09:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

well i'v got the double tow hook mod and a mod every one should have... a fire extinguisher.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibble9012
maglight holder
Sure it's not going to fly off in an accident and become a projectile?
Old 07-09-2005, 10:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
lee
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to lee
mine:

i went to home depot deciding i wanted to get something rectangular and black that would fit in that space, but not be permanent.

the goal was to have a place where i could stick things like the Lev-O-Gage i got from xtremeoff-road.

my solution? i found a 2x6 black 'capea' bathroom tile. the item# on my receipt is 72476443511. i then bought industrial strength velcro...

stuck half onto the pocket...

half on the back of the tile...

and put the two together... then stuck the lev-o-gage on...

not a perfect fit, but it certainly blends in well enough, is useful for something, and doesnt interfere with my head unit's movements at all.

the tile was $.89, velcro (tons of it) was $3.59.

cheap
Old 07-10-2005, 12:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RUNR
Sure it's not going to fly off in an accident and become a projectile?
The maglight is really tight in the holder, and the holder is bolted to the body. Not saying it couldnt happen, but a lot more secure than the seat pocket, or just rolling around. And easy to get to if I need it.

Last edited by dibble9012; 12-25-2008 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Contributing Member

And another great mod, which can be cheap or more expensive, is an auxilary fusebox. Saves a lot of hassle when hooking up extra stuff. The one I got was expensive(painless), but I thought it was well worth it because, $60 vs $13k for a new truck in the event of an electrical fire, pays for itself if my truck doesnt burn to the ground. Its also weatherproof, and came with relay and long quality wires. I also got a Hella relay box, holds 4 relays.

Last edited by dibble9012; 12-25-2008 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Contributing Member

I rewired my windows in my doors; to work without the ignition, to add a quick disconnect for when I pull the doors off, and to replace the crappy window switches that come with the truck.

All it took was some momentary toggle switches at radio shack, some wire, and some connectors. I think it cost like $20 all together.

3D 85 4Runner SR5 | 33" BFG M/T on flat black rims | Chevy springs | Custom Grab cage with overhead cb mount | Custom fabbed center console | Freshly rebuilt axle with IFS hub/caliper swap | Rock Sliders | Lots more...

In Colorado, Dig.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:26 AM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to SteveS
http://www.bajataco.com/Full-Time-Power.html

Not 100% sure what makes and models this works on. But I did it to a 2001 Taco and 4Rer. I don't find it that helpful, but it was cheap.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned
Vendor Sales Rating: (0)

Send a message via AIM to jimbo74
adding a longer carb stud.... m6-1 threaded rod ($5) then huge air cleaner

Old 07-11-2005, 11:56 AM   #13 (permalink)

At first it didn't start out as a mod but by far one of the bestest-cheapest mods I ever did was upgrading the main power wire on my 3.0

Not only did it fix my original problem, it made everything electrical operate better and honest to goodness the thing seems to run much better.

Best 10 bucks I ever spent on the 4Runner
Old 07-11-2005, 03:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I have a ton here, to many to list here.
Some are home brewed like the stuff for my cargo rack.
http://pnw4runners.com/tando/modtoc.htm
FJ Cruiser BuildupNew Roof Top TentVideo Of My Penthouse Part IIRehinge Your ARB/Engel Fridge
Blog About Roof Top TentsFJC Magazines Online Review Of My TentMy Camping Gear Review Blog
"Hey Corey, where is my thread?"
Missing your thread, then click
here

http://yotatech.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3&dateline=1270301800
Old 07-12-2005, 06:40 PM   #15 (permalink)

Romad, I just read your post and am wondering if I can do this mod on my 3rd gen. Think it is the same? I have allready done "the big 3" and am still having a few problems.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned
Vendor Sales Rating: (0)

Send a message via AIM to garrett1478
bump...

...i need something cheap to do
Old 02-21-2006, 09:33 PM   #17 (permalink)

I changed the lights in my tach to red $2
:chicken:

*Black 99' Headlights, corner lights + taillights *Tundra Calipers/Sequoia Brembos *17" Black Sequoia wheels/ 32" Michellins *Hilux Surf Emblem *Taco Skid Plate *Waag Guard *Black Nerf Bars
*5% Tint *Clarion Dxz545mp *2 12" Fosgate Punch Z *ProfileC400 Amp *Red glow guages

Quote:
i like it ! makes me wanna go out to the garage and throw rocks at my fj .
Old 02-22-2006, 02:51 AM   #18 (permalink)

Here is mine: /f31/installing-rear-tow-hooks-85-93-s10-blazer-71008/

James
Old 02-22-2006, 03:03 AM   #19 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jacksonpt
removed running boards
removed factory pin stripe
extended rear diff breather
custom cargo box

My runner has bee traded in *sniff* on an 06 SR5 long bed d-cab Tacoma. The tacoma is nice, but... *sniff* ... I'll update my site when I'm done grieving.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:42 AM   #20 (permalink)

one of my cheapest mods was LED in my climate control, auto shift knob, cigerette lighter, dome light, and turn signal light.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:42 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1st, 2002, 4runner, 87, b2000, cheap, cigarette, electronic, filter, generation, kn, maglite, mod, mods, yotatech