General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Should I try the Wrist pins? or just a new block...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 10:51 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Should I try the Wrist pins? or just a new block...

Again, a post about my knocking 22RTE. Here is some background information about it. I'd just add to that thread, but it's turned into a good resource (that I couldn't find when I first started searching) about changing the main bearings with the engine in the truck....

so....here's a new thread.

cliff background notes: engine was assumed run dry on oil, thrust washers fell out, knock started. PO immediately stopped driving it, and it's had zero miles on it since, just on and off a few trailers, and some time idling to diagnose. when I dropped the oil pan, the thrust washers were in the oil pan, and the crank was very obviously shifted forward. the crank, block, and #3 main bearing cap don't look damaged at all....just polished, but not gouged, scored or anything.

I did the main bearings, and thrust washers. I measured the clearance on the rod caps, and they were well within the FSM stats. I also measure the mains before putting the oil pan back on to make sure that the new bearings actually helped...and it wasn't the crank that was worn down. with good results...

well...I fired the thing up, and it still knocks, just like it always did. still doesn't show any signs of improvement when pulling plug wires (which made me think it was on more than one cylinder). but sounds like it's coming from the back of the motor.

So...What would you guys do? Is it worth pulling the oil pan back off, and then pulling the head, and replacing the wrist pins? maybe the rods?

or should I just try to replace the shortblock. I've got a local guy who's offered me a 22R in OK condition for very cheap. problem is...this is my working space:

Uneven gravel parking slab. so an engine swap would probably involve some scary combination of sheets of plywood, and ratchet straps....And now it's February in northern Minnesota....

also, I'm a college student, so cost is a major factor. in all reality, if I can do alot of work now, for a small amount of money, and get a year or 2 of good running out of this motor, I'll be happy. it's not a daily driver, just a weekend wheeler (I'm an hour away from the ORV park), and maybe occasional backup driver for my subaru. I'd love to just go out and spend the big bucks, and take the motor to a machine shop, and pay them to go over everything and make sure it's done right...but I just can't right now...

like I said, if I can get some more mileage out of this motor, I'd be all for it. but if it's done....it's done, and it's time to get another.

anyway, sorry for the longwinded post. but any advice you can give right now would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Numbchux; 02-15-2007 at 10:53 PM.