General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

SEAFOAM Engine Treatment WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking SEAFOAM Engine Treatment WOW!

Wow guys I just ran seafoam through my 86 yota 4x4 and what a difference is made! I can't say enough about this product! The throttle response was instantly 80% better!

I don't usually like to try and sell products to the forum but I am so impressed with the results on my 22r i thought i would let your guys know.

Ran it through the carb SUPER SLOWLY for about 3 minutes (1/2 can). Then dumped 2 tbsp into the carb and let the engine die.
5 minutes later started her up and she is running like new.

Ran this product at 200,003 miles!

Thanks Toyota for making a great truck and Seafoam for a great product!
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
Old 12-18-2008, 07:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like an ad.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:56 PM

I guess the truck has to be in pretty poor shape for seafoam to make a difference.

Ive tried it on 3 or 4 different trucks and never noticed any difference. I got great big plumes of smoke on each one, but never made a difference.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:17 PM

is there a certain amount of miles you shouldnt run it in?
Old 12-18-2008, 06:22 PM

You want to run it right away, run it until the smoke dissapears.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:13 PM

i would really like to know what calculations he conducted to achieve 80%? what if it is actually 78%? I believe that would be false advertising and I will let my attorney know about it.

almost forgot this
Old 12-18-2008, 07:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll voice my opinion on this one.

Seafoam is good stuff.
It made my Grandpa's Econoline van start right off (used to crank for 3-5 sec.), and it made it run a ton better. I use it to preserve gas, when a vehicle is going to sit for a long time

Not an ad, trust me. Just true experiences with it. This has nothing to do with the legitimacy of the original post.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:02 PM

I've used it in efi vehicles and it helps my car achieve 40mpg. never used it in a carburated vehicle........I'll stay out of this one. However, their deep creep lubricant SUCKS!
Old 12-19-2008, 06:29 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Something about Seafoam that makes people join a site just to express how awesome they think it is. Not sure if it's becuase it really made that big of a difference on their vehicle that they just couldn't help themselves, or if there's some guerilla seafoam force trying to hide the fact that they're advertising, or what, but it's very interesting to watch.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by 83
Something about Seafoam that makes people join a site just to express how awesome they think it is. Not sure if it's becuase it really made that big of a difference on their vehicle that they just couldn't help themselves, or if there's some guerilla seafoam force trying to hide the fact that they're advertising, or what, but it's very interesting to watch.
I have noticed that too.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:31 AM

what the heck is it anyway? ive heard it a few times but im not sure what it is or what its supposed to do? ive a new short block in my truck with 6k miles on it. something i should throw in to see or will it mess up the engine? im only getting 14mpg so if it works for better mpg im open to trying it i just don't want to mess anything up.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:43 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
It's supposed to clean out carbon deposits in an old clogged engine, so I see no point in putting it in a new engine. If you're getting bad mileage there could be a lot of things going on. At 6k I'd think your rings would have seated...so probably not that. What were you getting before? I was getting around 15mpg before my complete rebuild, and I'm still getting that now, so it's something else with my truck. I'm thinking my egr is clogged up & stuck. Anyway getting off topic. I'd say there's no reason to use seafoam on a new engine. Search there's a thread that's like 30 pages long all about it.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:09 PM

I know it's not an ad. I was just joking. i like sea foam too.

Problem is, no one is ever able to provide real numbers for what it improves. I've seen pictures on google images of before/after sea foam treatment, and it's amazing. I just wish people would get over this "snake oil" mentality that it doesnt do anything.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:53 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I bought a used 98 4runner, and it didn't pass smog. I had just done the oil, plugs and filter and my car ran great, so I was not happy. The mechanic said the problem (super high NO) did not really indicate worn out or malfunctioning parts. I looked it up and the likely culprit is carbon build-up.

I tried the seafoam, both in the tank and fed into a vacuum line like they say. This produced 15 minutes of the most foul, thick, acrid smoke you can imagine. Heck, the first time you try this you should probably drive out to some secluded area so the fire dept does not get a call.

I was dubious of what was 'really' causing this smoke so I did it again two days later - guess what - very little smoke. My car passed smog with flying colors. It went from an NO(PPM) reading of 2200 to 230. I didn't notice any performance or mileage difference, but now before every smog check my car gets the seafoam treatment. It is only going to make a difference on an engine that has built up some carbon and/or have plugged injectors.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:06 PM

so, word is its diesel??? lol, but really, what is it. Some one said it eats up internals, like its sand??
Old 12-20-2008, 06:35 PM

For the OP, any cleaner that degunks a carburetor will make it work better. Most techs would reach for a $3 can of carburetor cleaner first

Toyota sells a similar product called "Engine Pre-Tune" that will help loosen carbon deposits, and comes in a spray can. Good for cleaning throttle bodies on EFI vehicles, just wedge the TB open with a rag, and use an old toothbrush and scrub the throttle plate clean of black deposits. Helps make cars with funky idle run mo bettah.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
shoot - - plain ol H20 will clean carbon on the cylinders just as good as seafoam - if not better, but hey, thats just my $.02
Old 12-22-2008, 08:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam F
I guess the truck has to be in pretty poor shape for seafoam to make a difference.

Ive tried it on 3 or 4 different trucks and never noticed any difference. I got great big plumes of smoke on each one, but never made a difference.
....x2 That's been my experience.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Swansen
so, word is its diesel??? lol, but really, what is it. Some one said it eats up internals, like its sand??
Yea, its a friggin can of sand, mixed with diesel. Suck it up in your intake and its like sandblasting your valves and what not!

Its made up of these 3 petrolium based products.

Pale oil-40%-60% (some sort of specially formulated oil, probably used for lubrication)

Naptha-25%-35% (solevent. the main ingredient that breaks up the carbon. Commonly used as a paint thinner)

IPA- 10%-20% (Isopropyl Alcohol, AKA RUBBING ALCOHOL. Also a solevent)
Old 12-23-2008, 03:46 PM

I had an old yamaha fj 1200 motorycle It ran like shiot.. I put half a can in and it ran like crap and i full throttled it and it instantly came to life and i about backflipped the damn thing. But if for sure cleaned the jets and whatever else out.. Good stuff run it in all my vehicles every 10,000 miles or so

Quick Reply: SEAFOAM Engine Treatment WOW!