General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Pull PCV and Truck Dies

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pull PCV and Truck Dies

I want to put some Seafoam in my truck but whenever I pull the PCV it dies, how do I remedy this and if there isn't one, can someone describe the location of another hose to use?

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2006, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by jodynich
I want to put some Seafoam in my truck but whenever I pull the PCV it dies, how do I remedy this and if there isn't one, can someone describe the location of another hose to use?

Thanks!
Use a pair of vice grips or other "lockable" pliers/clamp to slightly restrict the flow of air. Put a small funnel on the end of the hose.

Andrew
Old 01-02-2006, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by WatsonMD
Use a pair of vice grips or other "lockable" pliers/clamp to slightly restrict the flow of air. Put a small funnel on the end of the hose.

Andrew
Just tried that, I about have to close the tube to get it to keep running and even then its *barely* idling and there is no suction. Any other ideas?
Old 01-02-2006, 04:50 PM
Contributing Member

Use the brake booster hose if clamping the PCV hose doesn't work. The brake booster hose is the only one connected to the brake booster (big black round thing stuck to your firewall). I am pretty sure you don't have a third gens, as 3.4L's usually manage to stay alive when the PCV is pulled. What truck do you have?
Old 01-02-2006, 05:18 PM

It's actually an 02. Is this bad?
Old 01-02-2006, 05:47 PM
Contributing Member

So you have the 3.4L engine. Well, I dunno man, mine (at countless others') don't stall when you just pull the PCV hose, it runs like crap but it doesn't stall. It's usually the weaker engines that stall when you do that, I think that the 2.7L I4 that came with earlier 4Runners did that.

IMO, I don't think it's anything to worry about unless you have noticed something else wrong with it recently. If it runs fine, just ignore it and put it through the brake booster host which is here:

Since the hose is bigger, just make sure you pour the fluid slowly so you don't hydrolock your engine. You really have to tank the hose in the can for it to happen, so don't be too worried, just do it nice and slow and you'll be fine.

Also, don't expect any drastic results from the Seafoam since yours is only an 02, unless you have some really bad problems with it (really bad idle etc.). I did it to my healthy '98 and to be honest I noticed no difference at all. A throttle body cleaning did more than the Seafoam.

Good luck.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:54 PM

Hey thanks for that detailed reply. I bought the truck used only about 2,000 miles ago so I really am not that used to it yet and don't know much about its inner workings. It seems to run strong, but when I open the hood when its idling it does seem to really tick. I don't know if this is normal but you can't hear it unless the hood is opened- then it becomes pretty prevolent.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:53 PM
Contributing Member

Hey thanks for that detailed reply. I bought the truck used only about 2,000 miles ago so I really am not that used to it yet and don't know much about its inner workings. It seems to run strong, but when I open the hood when its idling it does seem to really tick. I don't know if this is normal but you can't hear it unless the hood is opened- then it becomes pretty prevolent.
The whole ticking thing is completely normal for the 3.4L engines, very annoying, but you can't do much to deal with it. Someone else actually asked the same question (ticking related) today, so I am gonna cut and paste for you to read. How many miles are on your truck?

Originally Posted by marko3xl3 @ ? Valve Train Noise thread

Is it kind of like a ticking noise, something like this:

http://www.marko3xl3.com/sounds/ (click on either one)

If so, that's normal for high milage 3.4L, it just comes. It's usually more pronouced once the truck warms up. Most people say it's the valves that need to be adjusted, but some have tried and it didn't cure the problem. For now, I wouldn't worry about it unless it becomes more noisy, at which point it's probably time for a valve job. If it's the fuel injectors, they'll just do that 'cuz they are old as fart, they still run perfectly fine tho. If you want to confirm where it's coming from, get a mechanical stethoscope or use the poor mans type (screwdriver butt to ear, tip to whatever) to check.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:48 PM

Ok, I got the Seafoam in the PCV, but in the process of learning, I put it in the wrong end of the hose first. I know this won't F up my engine since it can be pretty much put in the washer fluid and then they will work better but is this gonna mess up the actual valve?
Old 01-03-2006, 05:09 PM
Contributing Member

Ok, I got the Seafoam in the PCV, but in the process of learning, I put it in the wrong end of the hose first. I know this won't F up my engine since it can be pretty much put in the washer fluid and then they will work better but is this gonna mess up the actual valve?
I don't exactly know what you mean? If you try and put seafoam into the wrong side of the PCV, you won't be able to because air will be blowing out from the hose.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:56 PM

I unplugged it from the intake and tried it that way.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The easiest way to do this that I found is to remove either the PCV or booster hose from the intake . Slip a short piece of hose onto the intake nipple and pour the Seafoam into that.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:58 PM
Contributing Member

The easiest thing for me has been to get the vicegrips and set them on the hose until it's just *barely* open. Then I pour Seafoam into a cup and skim the surface of the Seafoam with the hose.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Both good TacoDude! I just like pulling the hose off where I can see it and getting the fluid as close to the manifold as possible! I got some SeaFoam in a spray can to clean the throttle body side of the manifold . . . . and the body at the same time. Think it will work? I figure I'll warm up the engine, shut it off, remove the intake hose, open the butterfly, spray everything down good, let it sit for a few minutes, and start it up after hooking the hoses back up.

Last edited by Snorkeldepth; 01-04-2006 at 09:26 PM.