General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

picking a locker????

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
picking a locker????

Ok... I don't trust what the manufacturers say nor do I really trust the companies that sell the stuff. So I want real world experience with the types of lockers out there. So if anyone has any stories to tell I really want to hear them...
Old 12-26-2005, 06:25 PM
Contributing Member

Sorry bud...

S.E.A.R.C.H

Old 12-26-2005, 06:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Originally Posted by marko3xl3
Sorry bud...

S.E.A.R.C.H

Uhummmm....SHE

Actually he is right, their is TONS of stories on here or PM me.

James
Old 12-26-2005, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

LMAO - oh Nic you just got spanked! But maybe if you tell them what Rich and Andy mentioned and narrow the ideas - then this will not be a "go use the search button" thread.

And guys, this gal knows what she is talking about. She is a toyota tech after all....
Old 12-26-2005, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Lysmachia
LMAO - oh Nic you just got spanked! But maybe if you tell them what Rich and Andy mentioned and narrow the ideas - then this will not be a "go use the search button" thread.

And guys, this gal knows what she is talking about. She is a toyota tech after all....
Really? Can't be true. Girls don't anything about trucks!

James
Old 12-26-2005, 07:30 PM
Contributing Member

Oh this should clear that up...

You know you are a chick wrenching when....

Now who's the gal up in the engine??? Blown4runner of course!

She does hubs well too. LOL

Old 12-26-2005, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Lysmachia
Oh this should clear that up...

You know you are a chick wrenching when....

Now who's the gal up in the engine??? Blown4runner of course!

She does hubs well too. LOL

It was an inside joke. She knows!

James
Old 12-26-2005, 10:54 PM

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f31/locker-faq-43572/

im gonna recommend a lunchbox locker. definitely the most bang for your buck.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
nic,

by no means am I an expert, but i can guide you to some good threads. but more importantly, what's your budget?

good required reading here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43572

selectable lockers - toyota e-locker or arb ($$$)
lunchbox - detroit and aussie locker (ive *heard* good things about aussie)

bob

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 12-26-2005 at 11:29 PM.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:37 PM
Contributing Member

In my K5 i ran lockrights, and while they were cheap, got the job done, and easy to install, i would much rather have a detroit. After only a year stressing mine under a fullsize with 36's and stock 1/2 ton axles, the rear is making alot of noise and unloading very often. It never used to do that, but to be fair i was asking a LOT from it in the application i had it in. The detroit is much smoother overall, and being a full carrier replacement is in theory stronger. Would i run a lunchbox locker again? Sure, in a weekend warrior on small tires and if i was on a budget. Otherwise, give me my detroit.

Im sure ill catch flak for this, but i dont like selectable spools. Never have, never will, i think they are way overrated and overpriced for what they are and would never recomend one to anybody i knew. But thats just me and my personal opinion.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:28 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ummmm - did you read the three "sticky"s in this forum?
Old 12-27-2005, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by SRV1
Really? Can't be true. Girls don't anything about trucks!

James
LMAO... yeah I am just a sweet naive little girl...
and I do deserve the b*tch slap. It was late, I was trying to keep up with 3 forums and 3 different people IMing me last night, and I posted a thread that wasn't well thought out... Ok then. I am just going to shut the ˟˟˟˟ up and keep my stupidity to myself... oh yes and not post while intoxicated...

I'll figure it out. I have to save money for my front bumper that will be done in March and get my already bought sliders welded on. I kind of wanted a switched locker, although they aren't as strong in some people's eyes it suits my needs better. My truck is still my daily driver...
Old 12-27-2005, 12:25 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Nic - no problem, people just don't want to rehash everything and possibly miss something. The sticky covers it pretty well - check that out, then ask specific questions and you'll find people will be happy to help out. It sounds like you and I are looking for the same thing - would prefer a limited slip for 99% of the time, but appreciate the locker that 1% of the time. Which is what the electrac does, but not made for Toyota...
Old 12-27-2005, 01:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
guys,
this is one lady you want to give a break to. she will probably help most of you re maintenance/tech than most of the guys here.

nic, define your budget, what you are looking for, etc. but defintely read the locker faq if you don't know exactly what you want

bob
Old 12-27-2005, 02:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Locker FAQs as well as the rest of my research on YT and Google led me to get ARB front and rear. They're not cheap. But, Phil at TRDParts4U.com takes a little bit of the sting out of it. Proper installation is critical. If fyou go with ARB, make sure whoever is doing the installation knows what they're doing (i.e. experienced ARB installer that has been kept up to date with ARB service bulletins).
Old 12-27-2005, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
guys,
this is one lady you want to give a break to. she will probably help most of you re maintenance/tech than most of the guys here.

nic, define your budget, what you are looking for, etc. but defintely read the locker faq if you don't know exactly what you want

bob
My whole deal originally was to invest in a part time locker. And I got all excited when Detroit released their new e-locker (no air), yet unfortunally they do not offer this for Toyota (yet, hopefully). So I suppose my only option is ARB... I am not worried on price, I want what I want and thats final. I'd rather spend a few extra buck for something I want than not. I excuse myself for not being more specific in my original reply, and for being lazy for not paying attention to the stickys... LOL. I've got a lot going out right now between the sliders and front bumper, so the locker is when I find something and it goes *ding* in my head. And as for parts its nice getting cost at 4Wheel Parts... LMAO
Old 01-01-2006, 01:30 AM
Contributing Member

not quite cheap or as easy, but with your expertise and connections, im sure you could easily put in the factory E-locker. why go aftermarket when ones available from the factory? keep it real...

i read a couple how-to's, but the housing has to be pounded out a bit and some grinding and tapping are required...nothing too hardcore...

have a look here:
http://www.sonoransteel.com/phong/re...ic_locker.html

hope this helps some
Old 01-01-2006, 09:22 AM
Contributing Member

Since it wasn't asked...... are you asking about a front or rear locker?

For the rear the factory E-lockers are nice, but if you plan on running a front locker, then going with ARB's would end up being cheaper.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:49 AM
Contributing Member

If you can afford ir, ARB is the way to go.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:23 AM
Contributing Member

i think almost all will agree if you can afford the arb get it.

just my input, as my 4runner is a daily driver, and i have a full time locker, it doesnt bother me at all. i forget about it sometimes...until i do a u-turn.

if you want something that wont break and is cheap, id look into a lock right. however youll feel it on the streets every now and then.

just some other things to consider...

Quick Reply: picking a locker????