General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Only one selectable front locker?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only one selectable front locker?

With all of the excellent manufacturers out there, I'm suprised that ARB is the only company that produces a selectable front locker for my almost stock Tacoma. Their products are top notch, but I wish there was a little competition.
Last year, my old '93 Pickup was damaged beyond repair, so I bought a '04 Tacoma to replace it. The first thing I installed was a Detroit Locker in the rear. It cost about $550. Later came 265/75-16 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's. They rubbed a little, so I installed a 1.25" Daystar shackle and coil spacer lift and the problem went away. That all cost me almost $1,000. Now, I am extremely happy with the performance of my truck, but on occasion I wish I had a little more traction. For example, last week I was hauling some firewood up a steep hill and the front tires were slipping on some loose rocks at the top. I finally made it, but I felt like a front locker would have helped tremendously.
Lately, I've been researching front locking differentials, but I'm baffled by the cost and lack of options. There really is only one. The ARB locker is over $1,000 and the required air compressor would be almost another $200. In addition, I would have to find a place under the hood for the compressor. Oh, and for the record, I could care less if I can air up my tires on the trail. I have a cheap DC compressor and a small air tank to do that.
I've also looked into maybe a lunchbox locker or even settling for a LSD like the Truetrac up front, but since I have the ADD, I think I would have to convert to manual hubs, which is a bit of a downgrade. In addition, It seems like a lot of work to hunt down all the parts and it would almost be as expensive as the ARB with less convenience.
Basically, I guess I'm just venting a little, but it would be nice if there were some other options out there for us IFS guys. The Eaton e-lockers or OX lockers on average cost a few hundred less than the ARB and you don't have to buy a compressor. Does anyone have any insight as to why these companies won't produce selectable front lockers for us?

Last edited by Lawn Dart; 09-29-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:22 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Lawn Dart
. Does anyone have any insight as to why these companies won't produce selectable front lockers for us?

my guess is that their marketing research showed a limited demand, therefore not worth it to develop/market a locker..return on investment would not be worth it
Old 09-29-2012, 08:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
You could always sas.....