General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Oil Change by Toyota Dealer gone wrong

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 05:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lawyer....Dealer is being a jerk. There are no diagnostic tests for premature engine wear.

News Media..... that'll cost them big time when the station's troubleshooter airs the problem on local TV.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
these guys are right

toyota may be fair as far as dealers go, but then they also have lawyers on retainer(probably hundreds.) just as with any company , especially insurance ones, you need to protect your ass . Dont think about getting a lawyer GET one seriously . It doesnt come down to honesty and good feelings , cause though it may seem fair to you what they offer, you are now entitled to at bare absolute min. a new engine. I would personally go for a new truck, or offer to settle for cash, think about the time and effort you have spent,.... how did you get to work, did it cost you extra to get groceries???? think of every detail about this whole ordeal.... take the minutes times it by 10$ and add the price you want for your truck.... now get a lawyer and dont take no for an answer good luck to ya
Old 04-18-2007, 04:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Guys, the person who started this thread has not been on here since last september.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Paul H.
Guys, the person who started this thread has not been on here since last september.
I would guess he finally spoke to an attorney, and they told him what someone else had mentioned here three or four pages ago...don't say another word.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:43 PM

let down....

I've been reading this bloody forum for a hour and this is where it ends!!!? Is there no decency left in the world? Haha wow I have a lot of built up tention about this now. Marshall come back to us!!! lol I think they did "get Marshall". Good read guys, wish i could of got to the happy warm ending. I think I speak for all of us when i say "May God be with Marshall" Keep fighting the good fight!
Dealership--->
Old 04-19-2007, 04:23 PM

haha

thats like a movie with no ending.... sigh. I was fixing a garage door at a mechanics today and some guy thought he could save money for an oil change if he drained it at home.... HA it was sweet and made me think of this.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:35 PM

I have come to the end and I am left wondering what is going to happen...I sent him an email.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:59 PM
Contributing Member

Maybe the dealer wacked him!?

I watch the Sopranos too much....
Old 04-19-2007, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Marshall70
Hi all,

I took my 2004 4runner to the dealer to get my oil changed and the dealer forgot to put oil back in the vehicle. It broke down about 1/4 mile away from the dealership. Dealer has admitted the mechanic forgot to put oil in the vehicle. Called me up 3 days later to tell me all diagnostic checks appear to be normal and to come pick the vehicle up. I balked because I was concerned there may be damage to the engine that their tests were not detecting. Dealer then offered to buy an extended warranty but after reading through the extended warranty it says it will not pay for damages resulting from negligence which this clearly was and it will not pay for damages resulting from low oil pressure or no oil. Since the dealer seems convinced there is nothing wrong with the vehicle, I offered to let them buy it back from me. I went to cars.com and averaged the 40 2004 4 runner sports and asked the dealer for that amount. Dealer wasn't interested, I then contacted Toyota corporate who has now referred this case to mediation. Mediation will be in the next 30 days. I bought the vehicle from this same dealership and have had all of my oil changes in the 22 months I have owned this vehicle done at the dealership. Vehicle has about 25k miles on it and has had at least 6 oil changes. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to deal with the dealer or what mediation is like? What do you think is fair in this case?

You need to have the oil pan removed and the engine bearings all inspected. It may sound OK, but some damage was done. It will bite later on. If its all good, tell them you want new bearings and button it up. Any galling, you will need a new crank kit a nd bearings. That is the minimum they should do.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by toyota_mdt_tech
You need to have the oil pan removed and the engine bearings all inspected.
What would be invovled with that inspection? Can you tell with just the oil pan off, or do you remove other things too?

I think if I was was wanting a different veihicle anyway, like I think he was, I'd take their trade-in offer and let the them deal with all the down time, hassle and bad karma.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:20 AM
Contributing Member

Ok everyone, I just heard from him via email and he stated that he had to go over the dealers head and he got what he wanted. Case is closed.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:03 AM
Contributing Member

Ok everyone, I just heard from him via email and he stated that he had to go over the dealers head and he got what he wanted. Case is closed.
So what was it he got? Or was there some kind of gag order involed with the deal Tell him he started a 5 page mystery novel over here and we need the last page of it.

Last edited by mt_goat; 04-20-2007 at 08:14 AM.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:05 AM

I need closure!!!!!!
Old 04-22-2007, 07:23 AM

Ahh, good. So justice is served. And if any of us have a similar problem with a dealer, we now have a proven strategy. THANKS
Old 04-22-2007, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Mark in MD
Ahh, good. So justice is served. And if any of us have a similar problem with a dealer, we now have a proven strategy. THANKS
OK, now how many of you had a similar expereince from a place that "wasnt a dealer" and what did the independent shop do to rectify the mistake if they even would acknowlegde the mistake.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:05 AM

OK, now how many of you had a similar expereince from a place that "wasnt a dealer" and what did the independent shop do to rectify the mistake if they even would acknowlegde the mistake.
A valid point. But, I suspect the chance of something like this happening in an independent shop is significantly less.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:10 AM

The only time I had something similar happen was the wrong size gasket on an oil filter & I noticed it before I went a foot. But then again I did the change myself & am very attentive to oil pressure in those first few seconds....(not to mention that huge pool of fresh oil)

I doubt the chances of this happening somewhere else is any different. I would think because the dealer prides themselves on doing it right & most of their customers go to them for that reason, they would bend over backwards for this person. But really you just never know. My dads Chevy truck only had 15K miles on it, the manual said to service the spark plugs & wires at 100K. The truck dies on him & he had it towed to the dealer; it turned out it was only the dist. cap but they refused to take care of it under warranty & said it was a maintenance item. (at 15,000 miles? bah) Cost him plenty after the tow & rental.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:18 AM
Contributing Member

Did you see Mama's thread? https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123/damsel-distress-engine-swap-faulty-workmanship-81083/ She had to sue'm.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:17 AM
Contributing Member

He did not go into detail be he did say that he got a Sienna out of the deal. Not sure if any money changed hands. But he was satisfied with the deal.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:55 PM
Contributing Member

He did not go into detail be he did say that he got a Sienna out of the deal. Not sure if any money changed hands. But he was satisfied with the deal.
I would have gone for the Land Cruiser!!

BTW...checking for bearing damage? I would think the bearings were the least of his worries...what about piston, ring and cylinder wear....what about valves (in the top of the engine where there would be the least oil)? And you can't see bearing wear without removing them, and possibly disassembling them.

Take it apart