General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Most bad ass front bumper i have ever seen

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 03:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
quite the setup inside the cab too

Old 11-14-2008, 06:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
Well, since I actually know the guy you are bashing, and his truck, guess I should step in a little bit.

Overkill ? Hell yes it is. But he is a professional storm chaser amojng other duties. He has gone through plenty of hoods and grills from debris flying in the air, and smackin his truck. The tube (not pipe) is there to help eliminate that, but he has still gotten a few dings and dents, but nothing too bad. He is working on more tube over the truck, but the part that kept getting hit and destroyed is now protected.

Yes, he is locked front and rear. detroit rear, and a auburn (IIRC) e-locker up front. Yes, still has IFS, no, it doesn't rock crawl, doesn't do anything extreme in the way of typical off-roading, but he does go and rescure morons who get trapped out in the middle of huge storms. His winch (warn 16.5ti) has dragged people and vehicles to saftey numerous times. His lights have come in handy many times as well. They are rarely all on, but they do serve different purposes. He uses his truck as a light stand, when helping to repair a levee, or other work that needs to be done at night, with no electricity around. His lights are used to help save lives. The roof rack is for his spare tire. Has another one in the bed, along with TONS of other chit. He has no room for anything else. Air compressors, welders, generators, tools galore. His truck has been used as a first responder, a storm chaser, and a all around rescure vehicle. Stuff may be over the top, but he isn't doing your typical work. Just so yall know a little more about it.

At first, I thought it looked rediculous, but after having been educated as to what the vehicle is used for, I stand corrected.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Conatus
Its already been said but Mad Max all the way. It could grow on me but never on my rig. Wayyyy too many lights. He must have a monster charging system!
Ya, he has the 250A Monster alt. plus two optima batteries. This thing, as "dorky" as it may look, is actually very well built. The guy pays attention to details. Plus, he's gotta be able to run those light at idle.... plus all his computer crap inside. Its pretty sweet though.

Originally Posted by drew303
I appreciate your input. Don't let the morons on here piss ya off. Everyones got their own stinky opinion.

Regardless of how probably impractical the bumper might be on say... any of our trucks, it obviously has a good purpose. And cheers to your mate who is our their helpin folks!
Don't worry, no one is pissin me off at all. I agree with everyone's opinion on the truck, heck, even he does at times ! But, its not your typical overdone truck, its one that is actually used, so i figured I'd let yall know. I have been lurkin on this site for awhile now, and happened across this, and had to join. I am a samurai guy myself, but running Yoder axles. Plus, some buddies that run Yotas, and me being a shop owner, tend to do lots of there work. The tech and orginization on this site is amazing compared to other Yota forums. Yall seem like a good bunch a guys, with one heck of a website.

Oh, and here you can see some more pics, some detail about his junk, and some storm pics. Cool lightning shots. Its not the most up-to-date on his truck. He has been slackin a little. He has new tires, and probably some other changes as well.
http://www.impact9.com/

Last edited by MercedesTech; 11-14-2008 at 07:44 AM.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:17 PM

Hey, the guy is fabricating to perform a function.....not fashion....As MOST of us do on here....sheesh......If it works for what he's using it for, which is helping his fellow man, then more power to him.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
just to set the record straight on dodge trucks...the only 4x4 IFS 1/2 ton model started in '02...now the dodge dakota and durango have IFS 4wd...but the 1/2tons dont...3/4 and 1 tons have solid axles..but the IFS 4x4 in the 1/2 ton started in 2002..and i personally think the Ford looks BADASS! and seems to be extremely useful
Old 11-19-2008, 01:04 PM

Storm chaser.....how often does he replace his PIAA's? Dont see a ding on anything.....must have been when it first got built.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:54 PM

Thanks for educating us! I can see the point in it now. I was going to ask how he changes the oil but further observation shows that the top has built in hinges. I'm a big believer in function over form and this is a prime example of function with a little bit of form. Again thank you for the clarification.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by MercedesTech
Overkill ? Hell yes it is. But he is a professional storm chaser amojng other duties.
So who does he work for as a professional storm chaser?
Old 11-20-2008, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by deines97runnah
Storm chaser.....how often does he replace his PIAA's? Dont see a ding on anything.....must have been when it first got built.
Ya, those pics were right when he had gotten the new bumper. Since then I know he has replaced a couple. Not sure how many, but yes, he goes through lights. I am sure PIAA and KC love him ! He also chewed up his 35" pro comp x-terrains, and has changed it to 37" BFG KM2's (i think that was the tire). Its a 37" tire, I know that much.

Originally Posted by Whitey13
So who does he work for as a professional storm chaser?

This is kinda hard to explain. He works for himself, as a "free lance" type of guy, but at the same time, he works with a "system" or group called SKYWARN (thats the badging on his truck). He works with them to help collect important data. Here is a little about what they do:
http://www.skywarn.org/about.htm

Its kinda ocnfusing how it all works, but I hope that helps. I personally am NOT a storn chaser, so I probably don't have the BEST insight.